Tom Coughlin speaks on issues, possible changes coming

.Buzz

Posted a lot of the quotes in the GNT. Certainly sounds to me like no one is safe.

I agree with Popper that TC needs to be held accountable and realize he is part of where we are this season. He's been going off on Twitter about it.

Agree with Vito, but he doesn't need to deflect blame on Caldwell, that man's resume speaks for himself on why he should be out. His drafts, outside of Ramsey/Jack/Ngakoue year, has been atrocious prior to TC even coming on. These last two drafts haven't been great either obviously, although Fournette if he can stay healthy surely looks like an elite/special back and there's reason to believe Cam Robinson can be a solid LT/good OL somewhere imo.

Also too early to tell on Bryan and Chark, and there's reason to believe Harrison may be a gem.

Bryan played out of position until just this last week, and immediately made an impressive TFL in his first game getting legit snaps at 3T.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Agree with Vito, but he doesn't need to deflect blame on Caldwell, that man's resume speaks for himself on why he should be out. His drafts, outside of Ramsey/Jack/Ngakoue year, has been atrocious prior to TC even coming on. These last two drafts haven't been great either obviously, although Fournette if he can stay healthy surely looks like an elite/special back and there's reason to believe Cam Robinson can be a solid LT/good OL somewhere imo.

Also too early to tell on Bryan and Chark, and there's reason to believe Harrison may be a gem.

Bryan played out of position until just this last week, and immediately made an impressive TFL in his first game getting legit snaps at 3T.

I feel as though it will be more of the same if they don't really shake things up after this season we will forever be in a Cleveland Brown situation. As this season continues to go on it is a real belief in my opinion that the luster is even falling off Marrone the fight of this team in these last 5 games should be under tremendous scrutiny. If they wavier in anyway and let games get away from them Marrone should be gone as well because I don't see how you can bring back a coach who's team won't fight for him. It's going to set a bad trend going forward into next season.

I don't really care if they are winning games or not i'm watching to see the fight in this team if Marrone stays and he continues on with Wash next year its going to be bad if Marrone remains he needs to really sit down and evaluate his coaching staff and make consideration to get rid of Wash and get new eyes on this defense because Wash is going to come back with this same bland vanilla defense that he's been running for the last 2 years and he's going to fall on his face again in year 3 this team needs to become considerably more innovative on offense and defense next year or numbers will continue to dwindle and this team will be playing else where in 5 years tops.

I think a lot of this just kinda highlights the problem with Coughlin, if we really want to go out and get a premiere GM Candidate.  Anyone who steps in here, appears as though they're going to be under Coughlin's shadow.  Khan seems kinda fond of Coughlin, and it doesn't seem like he is feeling any significant heat on his job.  Which means either Coughlin essentially bringing in a puppet or another glorified scout or something, and essentially running the team himself (which he's really not qualified to do)...or it means trying to sell somebody on working with that shadow looming over everything they do.  And i can't imagine the top candidates are going to be super enthusiastic about stepping into that kind of stilted power structure.  Putting those kind of handcuffs on their purview as GM.

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

to be fair, Coughlin was good as essentially the GM when he was here the first time aside from cap management which isn't a real issue if we retain Idzik as a consultant

Yeah, I'm cool with Coughlin running the team. I believe in his overall ability. 

However, if he came in here as the guy who was supposed to have a fresh eye and take power from Caldwell, allowed Caldwell to get in his head and go full go on Bortles and draft Fournette #4 (after Coughlin had been critical of Bortles prior to him coming here and stating he didn't like him basically in the media), than there's a serious problem and Coughlin needs to take responsibility and get that man out of the building immediately and not allow something like that to happen anymore.

I'm inclined to think Prisco and the other reports of Coughlin liking Watson quite a bit are true. So I feel like either Coughlin is a figurehead without as much power as we believe, or he indeed let Caldwell push him around essentially on who the QB was and again bought in without any backup plan for a QB that had his problems issues prior to last year and were even seen at multiple points last season (especially Buffalo in the WC game).

7 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

to be fair, Coughlin was good as essentially the GM when he was here the first time aside from cap management which isn't a real issue if we retain Idzik as a consultant

That was ever so long ago though.  The game has change a lot since those days.  I really respect what Coughlin did here, and elsewhere in his career...but the guy is extremely old, and old school on top of it.  It really feels like the game has started to pass him by.  Enough that i wouldn't trust him basically unilaterally running a team at least.

Archived