Preseason 2: Bears @ Cardinals

WindyCity

Mike Glennon looked bad again. If he asked to do more than checkdown he looks lost. His throws are late and often in a very dangerous spot. He takes forever to get the ball on to guys and threw behind Meredith on the goal line and on a 1st down out and again to Kevin White on another play that would have been a 1st down. He throws a horrendous redzone pick that was beyond inexcusable. Amaing what DBs can do when they know that there is no chance you are going to throw the ball over their heads.

That Mark Sanchez series was a waste of everyone's time including Sanchez.

I thought we saw some more of the rough edges from Trubisky. Even with some bad throws and vicious hits he went 6-8 for 60 yards and a TD. The deep throw on the sideline I can forgive. It was a well thrown pass that Gentry could not shake free from and Williams had really good coverage. Gentry did what he was suppose to and broke it up. The sideline throw to Titus Davis was a bad decision, he fell, Williams was all over him, and it should not have been thrown. Other than that I thought he stood in against the pressure and made some nice throws.

I think we can start to move on from the Tarik Cohen will not survive in the NFL. He ran hard between the tackles and took shots and did not get blown up. His ability to slip through the hole and hit the gap is really impressive.

I am not sure how the Bears can cut Benny Cunningham. He returns, he runs and he catches the ball consistently out of the backfield. Cunningham is what we hoped that Langford might become.

Dion Sims had some really nice blocks on Cohen runs. I know some think that his blocking is over rated, but he had an exceptional block on the firs run of the game.

Adam Saheen not being able to stay on his feet is a little bit on a concern, but I would really like to see him run a couple routes downfield and not these shallow crosses and out routes. Lets see what he can do down the field and in the slot I am not sure why he comes out of the game, reps, reps and more reps please.

I am not going to be critical of the WR group. Glennon was consistently behind and late in getting the ball to the WRs. The passing game was so horizontal that it is almost impossible to assess whether they were getting open. It is clear that Kendall Wright is the #1 slot guy.

Hroniss Grasu had a rough 1st series, but after that I thought he was very solid. I am not sure how I feel about Cody Whitehair moving to OG, but right now this is probably the best 5 that the Bears have.

I thought Charles Leno and Bobbie Massie had good games. The Cardinals have 2 good rushers, they blitz a ton and I thought that both handled it well and were not giving up the quick pressure of last week.

This is going to be in order of my notes, not by position group.

Eddie Jackson makes me feel tingly. I cannot remember the last time the Bears had a guy that looks like a legit FS. The diving nearly 1 handed interception was something we have not see from a Bears safety in a long time. Jackson is so instinctive you see him breaking and being involved in plays I did not think he would be. To be fair he took a couple of bad run angles and over committed.

I think Roy Robertson-Harris is starting to figure it out. Last well he did a lot of long arm looking over OLmen. This game he looked far more physical and energetic. His 1st sack was a nice job of driving the OG back and using his arms to disengage. HIs 2nd sack was just an exceptional job of being to quick for the OG. The stunt on 3rd down where he hit Gabbert's arm was another big play and showed the length and ability to drive an OT back. He also had a couple of nice run plays where he used his quickness to come back door and make the tackle. Exciting stuff.

I am not sure who kidnapped Jon Bullard, but this version looks like an animal. Explosive, using his hands better and not trying to over power every OLmen. Bullard continue to flash a ton of disruption in the run and pass game. I am a huge fan of the change up that he offers when on the field with Hicks and Goldman.

Leonard Floyd looks really good. He has 3 edge sets that were incredible for a 6'6" 250lbs OLB going agaist a 6'8" 320lbs OT. Forced a holding call, had a couple of additional pressures and what I love the most is watch a tackle on the sideline and you will see 94 coming into the frame, relentless hustle.

If Goldman stays healthy watch out.

I am intrigued with what I have seen from Kyle Fuller. He looked good in this game. He has a couple of pass breakups, a exceptional play on a screen pass and was generally contesting or making a quick tackle. Getting some value from Fuller would be so great.

The pressure that the Bears defense can generate is something that could make this season a lot more exciting and competitive. There was almost no clean pockets in the 1st half for Palmer as the Bears were consistently breaking down the pocket.

Good stuff, Windy... I saw the game pretty much the same way that you did. Cunningham won't be going anywhere, IMO.

Shaheen has been annoying the hell out of me for the exact reason you stated: he can't seem to stay on his GD feet. It's literally every time he catches the ball! Two steps and then bam, he's off-balance. Pretty frustrating for someone that is considered to be a top-tier athlete.

Loving EJAX, he will be our starting FS.

Our front 7 is filthy, I believe I read that we are giving up like 2.38 yards per carry through two preseason games. Make them one dimensional and sic Leonard Floyd on them, it's an ideal look if our offense can manage to put up points.

It's coming together... I don't have much faith in our offense at this point in time. I do, however, expect us to be a base 2 TE set team (12 personnel) because our WRs aren't very good. Sims and Miller should be the starters, you can sprinkle in Shaheen and flex Miller out to WR. Run a ton of outsize zone and pick up some cheap chunks of yardage on play-action boots and waggles. Defenses will adjust at some point and it will be up to Loggains and friends to counter (not holding my breath).

Anyone seen Kevin White? Hated him them, hate him now.

I don't think the Sanchez snaps were a waste of time. They were symbolic - John Fox was telling the rookie that he has to earn everything, and that one preseason game wasn't enough. Fox wants to keep Trubisky working for every snap he receives. You can disagree as to whether or not that's the right strategy, but it's not without value. At this point, I'd say Glennon exists for this reason, too. He's being given veteran deference, and Fox isn't just going to give Trubisky the job. Mitch has to take it from Glennon's cold, dead hands.

Mitch's second outing was fine. Nothing overwhelming, but then, he was playing with an OLine that gave him no time. I don't think it's a coincidence that nearly every Mitch throw has been a quick hit or a roll-out. They just don't want him getting hit - like he was on that late him that made everyone gasp. But also, as a result of that game plan, I don't know if Mitch moved up the depth chart enough to see time with the 1s this week.

I firmly believe that Mitch will only get snaps before Sanchez when he replaces Sanchez on the depth chart. It's just the John Fox way.

On 8/22/2017 at 6:11 PM, WindyCity said:

Rewatched Glennon's throws and he was horrendous. Even on the completions.

The Bears will lose every game he starts.

I agree, and to me that's all the more reason in a win-or-probably-be-fired season for Fox that MT should be starting right away. I don't wanna put him in when there's nothing to play for to see how he does. I want to see him perform when everything is at stake. That's the job. That's why you are the second pick in the draft. They can ease him in with the playcalling to some degree like they have in the preseason giving him plays geared toward what he excels at now, but every snap, every week he's not playing is a missed opportunity when the guy in his place is lucky to perform at replacement level. I want MT to hit week 1 of 2018 when we should REALLY have playoff aspirations past the growing pains stuff, not just starting it. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree, and to me that's all the more reason in a win-or-probably-be-fired season for Fox that MT should be starting right away. I don't wanna put him in when there's nothing to play for to see how he does. I want to see him perform when everything is at stake. That's the job. That's why you are the second pick in the draft. They can ease him in with the playcalling to some degree like they have in the preseason giving him plays geared toward what he excels at now, but every snap, every week he's not playing is a missed opportunity when the guy in his place is lucky to perform at replacement level. I want MT to hit week 1 of 2018 when we should REALLY have playoff aspirations past the growing pains stuff, not just starting it. 

I'm just terrified he's going to be busting his *** learning THIS offense, only to have Fox and his staff fired and then he has to start all over again. That's the best way to ruin a QB, IMO, and here in Chicago we seem to be experts at it.

Mike Glennon trying to run bootlegs is the funniest thing ever. It's like watching a giraffe with two broken legs try to get away from some rabid hyenas. Peyton Manning looked better running the year he had to bail out Brock "My Name Sounds Like an American Pie Character and I Look Like One Too" Osweiler.

On 8/24/2017 at 7:54 PM, G08 said:

I'm just terrified he's going to be busting his *** learning THIS offense, only to have Fox and his staff fired and then he has to start all over again. That's the best way to ruin a QB, IMO, and here in Chicago we seem to be experts at it.

I was thinking about that the other day. I'm ok with that so long as Fox is replaced with an offensive HC who will then give Trubisky that coveted scheme stability starting next year and a full 8-month offseason in which to immerse himself in it before the start of next year. Not a Trestman type offensive coach hire either - a REAL offensive HC. Bonus of that, ideally, would be that Fangio could hopefully be kept on to run the D in the new regime. 

All of that said - Loggains has exceeded my expectations. They were low, but he impressed me last year with his ability to get bums look competent on short notice.

I know it is early, but Glennon has looked much worse than even Hoyer or Barkley.

Of his 26 throws I have seen him step into and deliver accurately and with some zip 1 throw. I have seen him throw into triple coverage 2x.

It would be nice if he put up a little fight.

Archived