Leisher's 2019 mock draft 11-27-18

jleisher

Packers finish the season 6-9-1, end up with the #12 pick.  MM is fired, Packers get rejected by two college coaches.  Dave Toub of KC is hired by another team and the Packers are left with a surprise pick from the college ranks.  Green Bay hires Lane Kiffin HC of Florida Atlantic as their new HC.  Kiffin replaces the whole offensive staff and leaves Pettine and his defense alone, for now.

Packers don't resign any of their bigger name UFA's. let them all walk. Bulaga is let go, injuries are finally catching up to him.  I won't go into FA's and cap space, to much time for today.

2019 Packers Draft

#12.  Wait, the phone rings.  Raiders come a calling, offer picks #21, #26 and #66 for picks #12 and #44.  Points favor Packers , deal done.

#21.  Raekwon Davis  DL  Alabama     Ideal 3-4 DE with pass rush skills, speed and power.

#26.  Deionte Thompson  S  Alabama    Excellent awareness, good range, good tackler and active against the run.

#32.  Montez Sweat  Edge  Miss St.    Dynamic pass rusher.

#66.  Cody Ford  G/T  Oklahoma   Solid player that falls to us in the top of round #3.  Future RG if not in 2019, then 2020.

#75.  David Edwards  T  Wisconsin    Solid RT for WI, can run block as well as pass protection.  Bulaga's replacement.

#114.  Lukas Denis  S  Boston College    Great instincts and plays with precision.  Better then average hands, future FS.

#124.  Bobby Evans  T  Oklahoma    Development player that can play either side of the OLine.

#151.  Myles Gaskin  RB  Washington     Montgomery's replacement,  Jones, Williams and Gaskin are the 3 RB's.

#155.  Marlon Davidson  DE/Edge  Auburn    Development player that will spend some time on STs.

#187.  Jamal Peters  CB  Miss St.    Big press CB.  Depth.  Drafting two Safety's, Williams moves back to CB.

#195.  Jared Pinkney  TE  Vanderbilt    Big body TE that's a true pass catcher/blocker.  Runs crisp routes and gets open.  Read about him, seems like a Packers type of guy.

#228.  Jauan Jennings  WR  Tennessee    Big receiver that could surprise teams with a great QB throwing the ball.

Scouting information was from Draftblaster and Walterfootball.   

Lane ******* Kiffin? 

Why? What possible poltergeist would possess someone to want Lane Kiffin as their head coach?

Don't even hate the draft, but what the ****?

Joey Freshwater!!!!!!

I love that Kiffin's resume over the past decade looks like it's in reverse

2017-Present: HC at Florida Atlantic

2014-2016: Offensive Coordinator at Alabama.

2010-2013: Head Coach at USC

2009: Head Coach at Tennessee

2007-2008: Head Coach of the Oakland Raiders.

This guy's a real up and comer!!!!

Great effort but you lost my interest at Lane Kiffin, and I clicked back at this:

#12.  Wait, the phone rings.  Raiders come a calling, offer picks #21, #26 and #66 for picks #12 and #44.  Points favor Packers , deal done.

I feel like Thompson will go higher than that, but I could be wrong. That pick alone would make me very happy with the draft, doubly so if we get a stud DL from the 1st along with it.

Also, kudos for the Gaskin pick. He's a guy who is on my radar as well as a value RB who can bring some of the quickness we will sorely lack if we lose Cobb to FA. Very shifty, good receiver out of the backfield, from my limited scouting on the guy.

I think the allocation of picks to positions make sense as well.

If I have any criticisms, #1 would be Lame Kitten for HC, but I won't harp on that (others have explained why).

#2 would be the free-agency. I get the sense that you did not really want to explore that too much, but really, letting some key guys go (like Bulaga) and then not signing anyone who could help at positions of need (S, IOL, EDGE) is a bad proposition, and it's not in keeping with the approach Gutekunst has rightly decided on employing towards the FA market. You could definitely have done much better with that.

Hell no to Kiffen. Also Davis has not shown any pass rushing ability this year. We need to add more pass rushers like Daniels used to be or like Matthews used to be. Davis could develop that pass rushing ability aka Kenny Clark but we need someone right away. Also Sweat is my least favorite EDGE prospect, he lacks the ability to bend the corner and is not twitchy. 

Archived