23andMe/Ancestry

BayRaider

12 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You'd fail an ancestry test tbh.

You joke but honestly it might be true since I got a stem cell transplant lol. If I ever wanted one I’d just have to go through my siblings I think just to be sure.  

So apparently I’m:

24% French and German (apparently almost impossible to tell the difference between the two, French/German DNA looks identical)

17% Scottish

16% Italian

5% Armenian 

4% Norwegian

3% Portuguese

1% Balkan 

0.1% Chinese (random)

The thing that's always made me skeptical about these tests is that each company has its own parameters for the markings. I've read a few reports that had the same person send samples to 3 of the companies, and come back with 3 results. 

For example, say you could trace family history back hundreds of years to northern Italy. You could send the test off to 3 companies, and have them come back as French, German, and Swiss. Since there's no real standards, each company looks at the same thing differently, and comes up with different results. 

47 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

So apparently I’m:

24% French and German (apparently almost impossible to tell the difference between the two, French/German DNA looks identical)

17% Scottish

16% Italian

5% Armenian 

4% Norwegian

3% Portuguese

1% Balkan 

0.1% Chinese (random)

The 0.1 percent is probably from Genghis Khan, lol.

5 minutes ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

My girlfriend really wanted this so I picked it up for $50 as a xmas present. Not sure i'm a fan of the concept or it's accuracy, but happy wife happy life lol.

Pretty good tool for Caucasian Americans who are all mostly a European mix. Was always curious what I was.

1 hour ago, MrDrew said:

The thing that's always made me skeptical about these tests is that each company has its own parameters for the markings. I've read a few reports that had the same person send samples to 3 of the companies, and come back with 3 results. 

I believe that's because they base results on their own databases. So there will be some variation between them, but I don't think it's as extreme as all that.

Archived