The Best Possible Scenario Mock Draft

MacReady

Remainder of this season

Week 13:

Saints crush the Cowboys optimism and momentum.
Lamar Jackson runs wild over the Falcons.
Giants shock the Trubisky-less Bears.
Dolphins, Bengals, Rams, Colts, Texans win.

Packers destroy the Cardinals and force another shutout.  Kumerow gets involved with a key third down conversion, reminding the Packers it's okay to convert on third down.  Teams now have two whole players to guard on third down.  Two, wow! 

Buccaneers, Chiefs, Titans, Seahawks, Patriots, Steelers, Eagles win. 

Week 14:

Titans, Bills, Giants, Saints win as expected.
Dolphins surprise anyone who doesn't know the Patriots haven't won in Miami for a while. 
Chiefs/Texans keep racing for that bye with wins.
The Browns shock the Panthers in Cleveland.

The Packers offense for the first time all season looks like a competent offense against the badly depleted Falcons defense.  They score 34 easy points, and the defense surprises by allowing only 20 points to a still really good offense.  King and Alexander hold Julio Jones to only 67 receiving yards. 

Broncos, Chargers, Cowboys, Lions, Steelers win.

The Rams beat the Bears. 
The Seahawks beat the Vikings. 

Week 15:

Chargers beat the Chiefs. 
Texans, Broncos, Bills, Ravens, Falcons, Bengals, Giants, Jaguars, Colts, Steelers win.
Seahawks win, Dolphins beat Vikings.
Saints and Rams beat the Eagles and Panthers.

The Packers win a low-scoring game in Chicago that goes down to the wire.  Mason Crosby wins the game on a final drive not killed by Montgomery (who has 20 receptions with the Ravens by this point). 

(After this week, the Packers have fought their way to holding the 6 seed in the playoffs). 

Week 16:

Titans, Chargers, Giants, Eagles, Dolphins, Browns, Cowboys, Patriots, Bears, Rams, Steelers and Broncos win.

Kansas City beats the Seahawks. 
Lions beat the Vikings in a shootout.

Packers hold the Jets to 6 points. 

Week 17:

Ravens, Dolphins, Eagles, Colts, Texans, Chiefs, Patriots, Panthers, Cowboys, Steelers, Falcons, Chargers, Rams, Seahawks win.

Vikings beat the Bears. 

Packers beat the Lions.

Postseason

Chiefs/Steelers 1/2 seeds
Dolphins (6) @ Texans (3)
Chargers (5) @ Patriots (4)

Rams/Saints 1/2 seeds
Packers (6) @ Bears (3)
Seahawks (5) @ Cowboys (4)

Texans beat Dolphins, Chargers upset Patriots.
Packers know what's what in the playoffs, Bears don't.  Packers break the Bears hearts when a last minute drive ends in a Kyler Fackrell interception where he fakes a blitz, then drops back into coverage.  Trubisky doesn't see him, tries to hit Burton, Kyler Fackrell gets mobbed by Packer defenders.  I cry a little. 

Chargers beat Chiefs.  Jburge has to eat crow. 
Steelers beat Texans.

Cowboys don't like the way the Saints beat them earlier in the season and keep the ball out of Drew's hands by constantly and relentlessly handing the ball off to Elliot. 

Packers have a better turnout than Rams do, and Packers have homefield advantage and a rematch against the Rams.  This time, the Rams don't have the luxury of Montgomery, and a timely Jaire Alexander interception helps give the Packers enough to win by 5 points.  Rams get the ball back with 3 minutes left trailing by 5, but the Packers defense just flat out stops them with coverage and it's 3 straight incompletions and a 9 yard completion on 4th down.  Packers actually manage to get a first down by faking that stupid outside handoff that usually results in a two yard loss (Mac was setting everybody up!) 

Steelers scrape out a win against the Chargers.

The talk of the NFC Championship game is how the Cowboys will not let Rodgers break their hearts again.  All the close games from years past.  How the Cowboys went out to get Cooper and how Elliot will run over a depleted Packers DL.  Jerry is celebrating his moves and dreaming about getting up on that podium celebrating a Cowboys win.  None of that happens because the Packers completely dominate in every facet of the game early.  Jimmy Graham and Rodgers prove that Aaron just needs time to get used to his tight ends.  The Packers stop the Cowboys early on their first possession, then Jones runs right through the Cowboys DL for gains of 20, 17, 16 and Rodgers finishes the drive with a TD pass to Davante.  Cowboys try to gather themselves and not panic.  They have a promising drive, but then an incomplete pass on first down leads to a 2 yard gain on second and a sack on 3rd and 8 knocks them out of field goal range.  Packers go down for another easy score.  An interception on the next drive leads to a 30 yard TD pass on the very next play.  Final score is 38-28 after a garbage time TD from the Cowboys. 

Steelers/Packers rematch is a low-scoring game, surprising everybody, but the Packers win by 4 points after a nail-biting finish in which the Steelers can't convert 4th and goal from the 6.  Aaron Jones wins Super Bowl MVP, making Rodgers extremely angry, but oh well.  Jones has 137 rushing yards, including a 40 yard TD run that puts the Packers up for good. 

Offseason

Free Agency

Packers Free Agents

Clay Matthews will always be a Packer, and one who will be remembered more fondly after he leaves and as time passes and people realize he wasn't physically capable of what we needed out of him.  More than money, he wants a chance to only have to get after the QB.  He signs elsewhere with nothing but good things to say about the Packers, and he knows he'll be back for his Packer Hall of Fame induction, and probably his NFL Hall of Fame induction.  Yes, he'll go to both halls because of his iconic plays, postseason success, five years of dominant play, pro bowls and all-pros and the statistics (100 career sacks). 

Randall Cobb re-signed here saying he wanted Championships.  Glad we could help him get one.  He's too often disliked, again because his physical ability couldn't match what we needed out of him.  He was still very timely with big plays.  He leaves to chase the money he could have gotten the last time he was a free agent. 

Wilkerson - Gone.

Lewis, Kendricks, Bell, House - Gone. 

Beshaud Breeland - Gone.  He's not what we hoped he would be.  We were able to sign him as a test to see if he could play in the league still, and he passed the test, and he wants to play somewhere else. 

Jake Ryan - Re-signed.  You can do a lot worse than Ryan on your ILB depth chart. 

Allison, Patrick, McCray, Brice, Kumerow - are back, not leaving in restricted free agency.  

Outside Free Agency

The Packers go into free agency with a lot of money and a lot of holes.  It is not the free agency Packer fans want.  Why?  Because it's still tough to convince players to come here when the money is the same or better elsewhere.  The Packers aren't completely neglected by everyone though.

Packers sign Quinton Spain

-28 years old, 45 starts in 4 years.  Never terrible, never great, perfect signing because he's cheaper than the big name OL free agents. 

Titans-Pass-pro-2nd-down.gif

Packers sign Anthony Sherman

-30 years old, one of the highest-rated fullbacks in the NFL.  McCarthy decides to hell with changing things, he's going back to how he wants to do things with the right pieces to do them.  He just won his second damn Super Bowl and he's going to do things his way now and forever.

aafbihcdk4c8hbqt2pea.jpg

smithshov1.gif

Packers sign Adam Humphries

Humphries has gotten better in each of his years in this league.  He's nothing special physically, but he's an experienced player that Rodgers could pretend is Jordy Nelson. 

winston.gif

Packers sign Brian Orakpo

He's the best value at EDGE.  We are NOT getting our future pass rusher in free agency.  That's not something that historically works out.  We do, however, need to get better there and have contingencies in place in case we whiff on getting one in the draft.  He's got power more than finesse, and fits what we're trying to do better than Matthews, and he's more reliable than Perry.  Old, but his game ages well, and he will be really good for us and be what we'd hoped Brooks would have been for us last year. 

breeshit.0.0.gif

Packers sign Adrian Phillips.

No other safeties want to sign here, but Adrian Phillips is a good, solid starter and he's played for a really good defense. 

giphy.gif

2019 NFL Draft

First Round

With the 28th Overall Pick (VIA Saints), the Green Bay Packers select:

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, DB, Florida

People will call him Gardner or Johnson and it will drive me insane. 

2018-09-30-Gardner-and-Reese-out-on-swin

With the 32nd overall pick, the Green Bay Packers:

Dalton Risner, OT, Kansas State

dalton-risner-kansas-state-2.gif

The Packers trade their own 4th round pick to move up in the second round. 

With the 48th overall pick, the Green Bay Packers select:

Anthony Nelson, DE, Iowa

anthony-nelson-iowa.gif

With the somethingth Overall Pick (3rd round), the Green Bay Packers select:

Tommy Sweeney, TE, Boston College

ValuableHospitableHypacrosaurus-size_res

With the Somethingth Overall Pick (4th round Washington), the Green Bay Packers select:

Ben Banogu, EDGE, TCU

ContentLeafyHoatzin-size_restricted.gif

With their remaining picks (5, 6, 6, 7), the Packers go OL and DL exclusively. 

Nick Perry is not cut post June 1st.  They decide he's had some good years, and they hope 2019 will be one of his good years.  They figure it's better to have him and hope for the best over get rid of him and take the chance he has a good year elsewhere. 

The Defending Super Bowl Champions:

Rodgers/Kizer
Jones/Williams
Sherman
Adams/MVS/Humphries/ESB/Moore
Graham/Sweeney
Bakhtiari
Taylor
Spain
Linsley
Bulaga/Risner

Clark/Daniels
Nelson/Banogu
Orakpo/Perry/Fackrell

Martinez/Ryan/Burks

Phillips/Gardner-Johnson
Alexander/King/Jackson

Just now, Gopher Trace said:

Great work! Now do "The realistic scenario mock offseason."

For the record, I am happy with this exact same free agency and mock draft regardless of the outcome to this season. 

A lot of the pass rushers in the second round of this draft would be good enough to be first round picks in other draft classes. 

Look boss, 'da plane, da plane'! 

Now for the mock draft, off season portion. I would actually throw up violently if we brought back Matthews and Cobb. Not to mention Perry. Then the free agents you bring in are worthless! The mock draft itself might be the worst part. 

Glad I always took your posts as more satire, than real football insights! xD

Just now, Golfman said:

Now for the mock draft, off season portion. I would actually throw up violently if we brought back Matthews and Cobb. Not to mention Perry. Then the free agents you bring in are worthless! The mock draft itself might be the worst part. 

Glad I always took your posts as more satire, than real football insights! xD

Can you not read or did you just assume something I would do?  Because both Matthews and Cobb leave in this scenario, and paying Perry 14 million to have him on this team is still better than paying him 11 million dollars and letting him play in Detroit/Minnesota/Chicago.

Glad I take your posts as blind hatred rather than anything really notable or worth reading, satire or not. 

10 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Breeland is going to be cheap. I want him back.

I'd like him back too. He's gonna be 27 in January. I'm not figuring Tramon long for the NFL world much longer. 2018 hasnt been a resounding success.
If keeping Breeland could keep us from designating an early / top draft pick to CB - I'm all for it.

I admire your optimism but I don't see us making the playoffs unless a couple of teams above us implode and we turn it around big time.  And even if we make the playoffs do you believe we'd go into the Big Easy and win?  I do not.  I strongly suspect NO is gonna be the #1 seed and I have yet to see anybody keep up with that group in that dome so far this season.

I like it.  A lot of it, at least.  So if I don't mention something you wrote, obviously I like it.  

I think we could do a lot worse than Breeland if he does come cheap.  I also really like what I've seen so far from Campbell. 

I think he could make the Adrian Phillips signing unnecessary.  

I love me some Anthony Nelson.  As an Iowa fan, I hope he sticks around another year before declaring.  Just too many edge rushers.  Next year he could cash in.  Instead - pipe dream scenario - I'm hoping for TJ Hock in the 2nd round.  (I don't think we'll be picking 63rd...)

Risner has been a popular dude on Twitter recently.  I like the physicality in the run game.  Can he block in pass pro?  Could he slide in at RG until Bulaga is done at RT? 

Archived