The Best Possible Scenario Mock Draft

MacReady

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I did minimal scouting on this, but it made me really like Anthony Nelson.  

@AlexGreen#20, what do you think about him?  Is he a fit here?  I looked for possible EDGE/DE tweeners on the bigger side thinking that's more of what Petrine wants.

Nelson is a true 4-3 end.  6'7" DE.  He's a bit stiff, but has a great motor and obviously great length.  Definitely not a guy who is going to drop into space.  Great at setting the edge and he's going to get to the passer in the NFL.  A lot like Jared DeVries.  

Looks like someone else is using Fanspeak, nice job.  LOL!  It would be nice to see a serious mock from rounds 1-7 and with the Packers picking in the top 15 spots.  With your knowledge and stats, you should be able to make the picks for all rounds.  Hoping to see that one soon.

53 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Looks like someone else is using Fanspeak, nice job.  LOL!  It would be nice to see a serious mock from rounds 1-7 and with the Packers picking in the top 15 spots.  With your knowledge and stats, you should be able to make the picks for all rounds.  Hoping to see that one soon.

I actually didn't use Fanspeak because I think it's stupid and a waste of time and worse than imported Madden draft classes as far as believability and I would never subject anyone to something so unrealistic.

I don't actually care about rounds 5-7.

And the Packers picking in the top 15 isn't likely even if they lose to the Bears and become mathematically eliminated.  Currently 11th with teams like the Bengals, Redskins, Dolphins, Titans and Browns finishing worse than us considering their schedules and considering our schedule, which features the Cardinals, Falcons, Lions and Jets.

Winning three of those games probably puts us at about 16 considering our tie.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

If we pick another DB in the first round without addressing the pass rush my head will explode.

We're like a top 5 team in sacks with Perry/Matthews/Fackrell.  We really don't need a pass rusher to generate pressure.  

55 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

We're like a top 5 team in sacks with Perry/Matthews/Fackrell.  We really don't need a pass rusher to generate pressure.  

We absolutely do not generate 4 man pressures. Those sacks are from blitzes or coverage. Our 6 picks tell the true story. We aren't making plays on defense because we don't get after the QB unless someone blows a blocking assignment or our DBs do an excellent job.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

That's misleading as we've got more than 1/3 our sacks on the season against Buffalo and Miami.  Buffalo had a terrible rookie QB taking dumb sacks and Miami was missing 4 starting offensive lineman.  We need to bring the house to get pressure and when we don't teams have as much time as they need.

Meanwhile we got little to no pressure in either contest against Minnesota, against San Fran, Washington, Detroit, Seattle and New England. In each game the opponents offense moved the ball up and down the field with relative ease while we were incapable of getting the stops when needed.  While our defense hasn't been as terrible as its been in years past, its far from being good and nowhere near championship caliber.

The idea that we've got a dominate pass rush and don't need quality edge rushers is crazy.  Kyler Fackrell will never be a #1 pass rusher on a championship caliber defense.  One of the reasons we've spent our first 2 picks on DBs in 3 of the last 4 years is because of our lack of pass rush.  Continuing to throw your most valuable picks at DB isn't the answer.  

The amount of assets we've wasted on DB over the last 4 years is sickening and a reason our depth sucks. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Even though we are, it still feels like we don't get there enough.  Scheming pressure is great, but if that's only the way you can generate pressure, good teams will gash you eventually. I still think we need to address it early. I think Pettine would love to play coverage and let our guys rush 4 and get there. Too many times we've been picked apart this year because we can't get there with 4. I really do like your approach though in the draft, I think we should just go balls deep on defense in FA/draft and sprinkle in a few OL. I think we can work with what we have on Offense, maybe a vet WR or TE  too, but not much more.

5 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I did minimal scouting on this, but it made me really like Anthony Nelson.  

@AlexGreen#20, what do you think about him?  Is he a fit here?  I looked for possible EDGE/DE tweeners on the bigger side thinking that's more of what Petrine wants.

Zach Allen.  

I'm man crushing on Grant Delpit, a safety from LSU. Waiting for him to declare. Want him bad and then we get to see St. Vince's head explode!

To everybody who commented on it, yeah, I agree we still need a pass rusher.  Just don't think it's something we absolutely need in round one, especially considering we're winning the Super Bowl and missing out on those top pass rushers.

And @Dubz41, Zach Allen is my favorite in this class, too.  Mostly for the two first names boost.

Thats why I settled with Anthony Nelson.  Another two first name prospect that will probably be there in round two.

Thanks for the (Out)post! What a fun read, and I presume, fun creation for you!

I really don’t recognize too many of the free agents or draft picks in your article, since I most follow the Packers and Badgers, and to some degree the teams in Oregon, where I’ve resided for many years. 

As for Nick Perry, I think he’s a tough kid from Detroit that's tried to play through a lot of hurts. But I think the Packers will let him walk, and Gute will spend the cap $ on one of their mid-tier home-grown boyz.

No matter how things play out, it makes for some lively off-season banter...oh wait there’s still five games left. Fun it is, but it still stinks, at this point, to have one eye on next season. Meantime, in the next five, or more, games    GO PACKERS!!!  

My biggest knock on Mocks are the use of fan speak. This is arguably the most in depth / creative Mock ive seen on these forums in quite sometime. Good job.

Overall I cant complain too much. You provided names that arent being commonly mocked to the Pqckers with their Picks and address huge areas of need in both the draft and Free agency. 

Nice mock.

Archived