Mariners Agree to Acquire Prospects from Mets for Diaz/Cano/Some of the Money

ramssuperbowl99

39 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

To me, the fact that Bruce would be in the deal as a counterweight means you wouldn't be covering any of the money on Cano's deal. 

Still far more money going the Mets way. Even if Cano is far better than Bruce, the problem is the last 2-3 years of the deal.

Having said that, I hope the M's aren't eating anything with the change in the reported package now. Kelenic, Dunn, and Bautista is a reasonable package for Diaz. So if the rest is Cano for Bruce + Swarzak then the M's shouldn't need to cover much (if any) of the deal. I still expect they'll pay 5-10 million a year though... because this is the Mariners.

I don't think this is a bad deal by the Mets at all and am confused why the M's are using Diaz and lessening his value a bit by attaching him in a deal to get out of only HALF of Cano's contract. I like Kelenic as a prospect but the M's could certainly get a more impactful return if they had just traded Diaz in an entirely separate deal(just based off the going rate for stud closers in the trade market over the last few yrs). Diaz is arguably the M's best trade asset and they're cheapening his return. Not the best way to go about with this rebuild of theirs

When you take the Bruce/Swarzak contracts into account to offset things these first few years, the Mets are really only taking on 3yr/$36 million on Cano. Granted, it's for his age 38-40 seasons, but that's not something that's gonna hamstring a team from other signings

6 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

To be clear, the money aspect is still being worked on, $60M is the high end. If it gets done yeah I'm pissed about losing Kelenic but uh.

This has been weird.

The Mariners have included Diaz and are taking Bruce. They really shouldn't be giving up any money for so little in return.

Honestly, if this is the standard rate, I gotta wonder what the Dbacks could get in return for Grienke if they were to eat, effectively, half of the remaining deal.

11 minutes ago, Slateman said:

The Mariners have included Diaz and are taking Bruce. They really shouldn't be giving up any money for so little in return.

Honestly, if this is the standard rate, I gotta wonder what the Dbacks could get in return for Grienke if they were to eat, effectively, half of the remaining deal.

I'm inclined to throw this deal out when establishing what the baseball market looks like because each team is ridiculous.

Archived