Coaching Staff News Thread (Update: Offensive staff overhaul incoming (obv))

.Buzz

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Or bullet dodged.  Depending on how you look at it.

He seems to be able to run an offense that piles up some ground yardage and can shelter a bad QB, but it seems like such a "low ceiling/low floor" hire.  I'm not heartbroken he chose to go elsewhere.  Not like they clearly went all in on Kubiak and missed out anyway.  They just expressed some interest and it didn't pan out.  big whoop.

I liked the idea of Kubiak myself, but he agreed to interview. Wasn't a "swing and miss", nor was it ever reported we offered it to him.

He got a job with his son and apparently had a close relationship with Stefanski and several other Vikings coaches AND they hired his son. Relationships are usual pretty big in the NFL.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I liked the idea of Kubiak myself, but he agreed to interview. Wasn't a "swing and miss", nor was it ever reported we offered it to him.

He got a job with his son and apparently had a close relationship with Stefanski and several other Vikings coaches AND they hired his son. Relationships are usual pretty big in the NFL.

It's okay, you can call it what what it really is.  It's not just "relationships"...it's literal nepotism.  xD  But it's definitely a huge deal in the NFL.

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Or bullet dodged.  Depending on how you look at it.

He seems to be able to run an offense that piles up some ground yardage and can shelter a bad QB, but it seems like such a "low ceiling/low floor" hire.  I'm not heartbroken he chose to go elsewhere.  Not like they clearly went all in on Kubiak and missed out anyway.  They just expressed some interest and it didn't pan out.  big whoop.

When I say swing and a miss I’m saying Monken, Koetter, and now Kubiack all hired. Not saying I wanted Kubiack but the best OCs are coming off the board.

But I’m glad Bortles didn’t completely sully a guy like Hacketts name and he gets a chance to OC AR12.

3 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

When I say swing and a miss I’m saying Monken, Koetter, and now Kubiack all hired. Not saying I wanted Kubiack but the best OCs are coming off the board.

Good heavens, we wanted Dirk Koetter back now?  Do we not remember how hated he was here for his offensive coordinating shortcomings by the end of his tenure?

Like...did our staff even "swing" on any of these guys?  Expressed interest in a couple of them, but seem like they want somebody else tbh.

There are still good OCs out there, and Bevell who seems to be the biggest name i've seen mentioned, seems like a pretty decent candidate.

27 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Really? I would accept that quickly since it seems like we have concerns about LF and I don't even like Foles much

I’d probably ask for a pick and Fournette if I were Howie. Maybe a conditional pick in 2020 that will depend on the Fournette we actually get, but I feel like the locker room in Philly could straighten him out and a RB like that is really what Philly is missing 

On 16/01/2019 at 4:56 PM, EaglesPeteC said:

I’d probably ask for a pick and Fournette if I were Howie. Maybe a conditional pick in 2020 that will depend on the Fournette we actually get, but I feel like the locker room in Philly could straighten him out and a RB like that is really what Philly is missing 

I'd say no to that as a Jaguars fan.  A starting QB > a top RB with some trouble staying healthy in a vacuum...but especially if Howie came to me and started asking for more and more and acting like he held all the cards, i'd tell him to go find another chump to deal with.

Assuming this would be trading for Foles under a 1 year Franchise Tag type situation...i know the Eagles can't afford to actually carry that at like $24M+ guaranteed.  Maybe they do find a taker before they have to deal with the repercussions, but i'd call that bluff all day.  It's not like you're even getting Foles locked in with that situation.  You're getting 1 year, and then things get stupid expensive or he walks to wherever he wants, for whatever he wants.  Nice in that it's easier to walk away if it's a disaster...but i'm not trading a good piece like Fournette for Foles if i think it might be a disaster.  Plus, if i'm Tom & Dave...i'm assuming if the Foles experiment fails in 2019, i'm fired anyway.  Any crippling cap legacy of that going wrong is somebody else's disaster to deal with.  xD

Archived