Coaching Staff News Thread (Update: Offensive staff overhaul incoming (obv))

.Buzz

On 1/20/2019 at 4:12 AM, Tugboat said:

I'd say no to that as a Jaguars fan.  A starting QB > a top RB with some trouble staying healthy in a vacuum...but especially if Howie came to me and started asking for more and more and acting like he held all the cards, i'd tell him to go find another chump to deal with.

Assuming this would be trading for Foles under a 1 year Franchise Tag type situation...i know the Eagles can't afford to actually carry that at like $24M+ guaranteed.  Maybe they do find a taker before they have to deal with the repercussions, but i'd call that bluff all day.  It's not like you're even getting Foles locked in with that situation.  You're getting 1 year, and then things get stupid expensive or he walks to wherever he wants, for whatever he wants.  Nice in that it's easier to walk away if it's a disaster...but i'm not trading a good piece like Fournette for Foles if i think it might be a disaster.  Plus, if i'm Tom & Dave...i'm assuming if the Foles experiment fails in 2019, i'm fired anyway.  Any crippling cap legacy of that going wrong is somebody else's disaster to deal with.  xD

That is a generous way of putting it. Is he even Top-10 because of his injuries? He's missed like 12-13 games in just 2 years and already had issues in college. 

On 21/01/2019 at 4:59 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

That is a generous way of putting it. Is he even Top-10 because of his injuries? He's missed like 12-13 games in just 2 years and already had issues in college. 

Last season, yeah...i'd have called him a Top-10 back for sure.  I think people are way too quick to forget how much they rode Fournette to the AFC Championship game.  This year...he did miss way too much time.  It's annoying, but he's still a very good RB.

He has the ability to be a Top-5 back even, if he can stay relatively healthier.  Whereas trading for Foles seems bad in general, but worse if you're moving a recent highly drafted guy that could be exactly the sort of piece in the backfield that you'd want for Foles to lean on as a runner.

There are too many potential options set to hit the market this offseason, to give the Eagles much of anything for a Franchise-tagged Foles and call it a "value" proposition.  If you're already going to be paying the guy bigtime "free agent" money ~$23M+ on a 1-year deal he can walk away from as a FA after...how much do you actually pay the Eagles in trade for the privilege of "renting" Foles for the year?

Especially when there will probably be other veteran options out there like Tannehill and Flacco who probably aren't going to be all that different...and are likely to only cost money.  Which means more picks/players to surround them with.  Plus secondary options like Teddy, Tyrod, Fitzpatrick, and all the draft guys...some of whom will almost certainly be starting before long.  There are only so many teams that look likely to bring in a pricier veteran starting QB in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/02/2019 at 8:35 PM, .Buzz said:

Dom Capers strikes me as a kinda weird fit here, in that he's been a 3-4 guy, yeah?  Maybe we're looking at moving more toward that end of the hybridization?  Or i suppose maybe just more in a "general defensive football" advisory sense?  He'd probably be an excellent veteran set of eyes in the sky to help Wash with the in-game adjustments where he's tended to struggle at times.

Interesting that he'd turn down a DC job.  Gather he is getting pretty darn old, maybe just doesn't want all that responsibility and stress, where an "adviser" type position would fit better.  Working with the Jaguars talent on defense would have to be a selling point compared to the Dolphins in that capacity i'd imagine.

Didn't seem to do much when we brought ol' Monte Kiffin in for a year in a similar sort of role.  But the defense did take a big step the next year, so who knows?  Maybe it was more impactful than it seemed?

Archived