The Return of Marvin Jones

X_Factor_40

Why you should buy into the return of Marvin Jones

DETROIT -- Marvin Jones set a career high for receiving yards last year. If not for a December injury, he might have hit 1,000 for the first time in his career.

"I didn't have a good season," Jones said in that Seattle locker room, the bitter exit just minutes old. "I will come back, and I will have a great season next year."

On Saturday night, it was Morris Claiborne getting beat on a perfectly executed fade, a play that came as no surprise to anyone who has been hanging around Lions camp the last couple weeks.

"He does a nice job with his body control, man," Stafford said. "His body control is pretty outrageous. By the sidelines, he's always got a knack for finding a way to get that last, little foot in or whatever it is. He did it again tonight with the fade."

"I think he's better in terms of his cuts within the system," coach Jim Caldwell said. "I can see improvement from him, that's for sure."

Most of all, though, Jones worked with Randy Moss this offseason to be a more QB-friendly route runner. He's worked to become more precise with where he sticks his foot in the ground and makes his cut. That makes him a more consistent route runner, which also makes him a more predictable route runner.

"I think he does a really nice job of talking to the quarterback with (his) body language," Stafford said. "Putting your foot in the ground the correct distance, the correct depth of the route, whatever it is. Putting that foot in the ground and getting it right, that's when I can cut the ball loose."

The above opinion pieces touches on some more details, so give it a read.

What are your expectations for Marvin Jones this season? Through the first five weeks of the 2016 season, Jones compiled 519 yards. He finished the year with 55 receptions on 103 targets for 930 yards (16.9 average), a long of 73 yards, 4 touchdowns, and 41 receptions that went for first downs. He played in 15 games. 

What are your predictions for his stat line for the 2017 season? Any bold predictions? Share your thoughts below! 

Honestly, I expect the same, but more efficient/consistent if that makes sense. I think Tate will still be our #1 guy, but I expect some growth from Ebron and with a healthy Abdullah and Riddick, the ball will be spread out a ton. 

He's a good fit for the offense and adds a dynamic that without, we would not have. He's a valuable asset that might get hated on too much, but his incosistency was inexcusable for sure. Need more from him on a week-to-week basis. 

I think his overall numbers are better than last years but I think they are spread out over more games.  He had over half of his yards for the season only 4 games into the season.  I think he has a more consistent 60-100 yards per game, more TDs and sees better coverage with Golliday and Ebron progressing and hopefully Abdullah staying healthy.

On 8/21/2017 at 6:13 AM, ahoda said:

I'd be surprised if he tops his 2016 numbers.  I think Ebron and Golladay take some of his targets away.

Just to play devils advocate... it is also entire possible that those two are reasons he does improve. Reason being; we know Ebron will be a threat, at least between the 20's as long as he is on the field, and as long as Kenny G continues to improve, he will gain more attention from opposing teams. Add it all together and Marvin is more likely to see single coverage.

Then again it is all opinions and speculation at this time.

6 hours ago, BarryTheBest said:

Just to play devils advocate... it is also entire possible that those two are reasons he does improve. Reason being; we know Ebron will be a threat, at least between the 20's as long as he is on the field, and as long as Kenny G continues to improve, he will gain more attention from opposing teams. Add it all together and Marvin is more likely to see single coverage.

Then again it is all opinions and speculation at this time.

If that happened would Tate get more looks or would Jones?  Would be very interesting to see.  Lots of options in the passing game and we haven't mentioned the the HBs out of the back field.

On 8/23/2017 at 4:46 AM, ahoda said:

If that happened would Tate get more looks or would Jones?  Would be very interesting to see.  Lots of options in the passing game and we haven't mentioned the the HBs out of the back field.

Sounds like a good problem to have right? :)

I feel everyone benefits and we see a more productive offense overall. It was so infuriating to watch them settle for so many field goals last year. Drives me nuts.

Archived