Chiefs release Kareem Hunt

.Buzz

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Actually, there is a very clear mechanism to obtain a video - a court petition.  Anyone can make it, and while I'm just a layman, given K-Hunt is an employee of KC and the league, and they have a personal conduct policy, and they have latitude to investigate for discipline - there is a very clear reason for this to be allowed.   If the league takes this as seriously as they say it does - the statement they are powerless is completely false.   Again, before Ray Rice or Josh Brown, the league & teams could probably claim ignorance - but they certainly know now.   This isn't their first rodeo here.   So they get zero sympathy here.   

As for KC & Tyreke Hill, I have no issues with Hill now, but it's absolutely fair to take KC to task - because of the team's statements that they said they took EVERY possible step to vet Tyreek Hill.    Their past experience from Hill should have made them one of the top 3-4 teams in knowing how to vet someone completely, if what they said they did with Hill was as thorough as they portrayed.    Given the new info on an ongoing investigation being present since February, and the police obtaining the video, it damns them completely that their definition of every available step is probably nowhere near as thorough as they presented to the public.     

You have no idea what means the NFL took to get the video. And you have no idea what means are legal in this particular situation. So it’s hard for me to understand how you are already assigning blame to the NFL. And very few people hate the NFL and Goodell more than me.  

As a Chiefs fan, here's my take:

First, you must understand the Chiefs are all about team chemistry. We have drafted a lot of players on the premise of giving them second chances. Tyreek Hill and Marcus Peters are just two names on that list. The message is that everyone is an adult and will be treated as such. As long as each player can contribute and doesn't cause distractions that negatively impact the team chemistry, you're a member of a family that all has each other's backs. That requires respect and honesty from all parties involved.

Marcus Peters broke that trust. He was traded as a result.

Kareem Hunt broke that trust. He was released.

As for the notion that the Chiefs had seen the video prior to yesterday, there is no evidence to support that claim. Here's the evidence we DO have:

-The woman was 19 years old, was drunk and once Hunt learned those facts, he realized he couldn't be associated with the situation. As a result, he gave her $20 to get an Uber ride home. That made her angry, so she started spewing racial slurs at Hunt, which escalated the situation. He lost his temper and shoved the girl (wrong, yes, but also an understandable reaction to a drunken racist 19-year old he just tried to help get home. She then punched him in the face, even further escalating the situation. That's when Hunt came unhinged and body checked his friend, who in turn, fell into the woman, who in turn, fell down. Hunt then fought through his friends trying to hold get back and stomped on the woman's leg.

Now, ask yourself, if you're Hunt, do you feel your actions are justified?

If I were him, I'd be raging, too. I'd acknowledge that I should've just walked away and shrugged things off, then be really apologetic, which, by all accounts, he was when this story first broke earlier this year. However, explaining the situation to someone who hasn't seen the footage, how would you describe it if you were him? Probably something like "I was trying to help the girl after I realized she was underage and drunk by getting her home, then she called me a slur, then things got physical. It wasn't all that serious, but I lost my temper and I regret that. It won't happen again".

My point is that, based on that explanation, even if the footage had been seen, that seems like a plausible explanation that could very well end up being settled out of court and then, it'd be a complete non-issue. As the Chiefs, the only thing to do (aka the right thing to do) is to wait for things to play out and give the player a chance to sort things out.

Hunt was family to this Chiefs team. And now he's not anymore. It's a crappy situation that was caused by a racist, drunken 19-year old and Hunt losing his temper. Sorry, but they're both in the wrong here. I don't blame the Chiefs for dragging their feet on this one. Bad PR and maintaining consistency in the locker room is what forced them to cut him.

This just flat out sucks.

I just hate that Hunt is the only one being talked about in a negative light here. She's just as much at fault.

14 hours ago, Forge said:

My understanding is they hadn't seen the video? They learned about it real time with everyone else?

I thought they had seen the video from the reports earlier i guess not they still should have done a better job investigating it instead of taking a players word for it.

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned, I haven’t read back very much of this thread on mobile. 

Has Le’veon Bell to KC become a real possibility this offseason? What’s their cap situation? Could they do some manoeuvring to bring him in while Mahomes is still on his rookie deal?

33 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

You have no idea what means the NFL took to get the video. And you have no idea what means are legal in this particular situation. So it’s hard for me to understand how you are already assigning blame to the NFL. And very few people hate the NFL and Goodell more than me.  

The NFL already issued a statement last night that the investigation was open since Feb and the video is new info to them.  

KC and the NFL are presenting this like OMG new info let’s act swiftly.  That’s a statement which is incompatible with the police investigation timeline and hotel statements. 

It’s clearly revisionist and posturing when knowledge of the video existence is clearly present.  

So yeah...

6 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned, I haven’t read back very much of this thread on mobile. 

Has Le’veon Bell to KC become a real possibility this offseason? What’s their cap situation? Could they do some manoeuvring to bring him in while Mahomes is still on his rookie deal?

I did the laziest google search and the results were that they might be able to fit him in next year (Edit: 2019) The problem is that any contract they sign must be made with Hill and Kelce in mind because both are getting paid. Plus the Chiefs have always been a running back factory. Death, taxes, and Chiefs running backs in fantasy.

9 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Mahomes got them out of cap hell but they aren’t great.  They have so many more needs and cheap productive RB don’t even need Rd 1 picks.   They have 2 2nds.  

The D needs more help short term that requires more capital before you get to extension candidates.  Add it up seems like a Rd 2-3 draft RB most likely.  

19 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The NFL already issued a statement last night that the investigation was open since Feb and the video is new info to them.  

KC and the NFL are presenting this like OMG new info let’s act swiftly.  That’s a statement which is incompatible with the police investigation timeline and hotel statements. 

It’s clearly revisionist and posturing when knowledge of the video existence is clearly present.  

So yeah...

Not necessarily. They could have went through legal means to get the video...couldn’t get it. The TMZ, who plays by different rules, gets the video and releases it. 

The NFL had to know this was coming and they remembered the Ray Rice saga...so it would be very surprising if they turned a blind eye to it. What would they have to gain? If this was Tom Brady I could see it happening, but Kareem Hunt? Nope. Logic doesn’t support your theory. 

35 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Not necessarily. They could have went through legal means to get the video...couldn’t get it. The TMZ, who plays by different rules, gets the video and releases it. 

The NFL had to know this was coming and they remembered the Ray Rice saga...so it would be very surprising if they turned a blind eye to it. What would they have to gain? If this was Tom Brady I could see it happening, but Kareem Hunt? Nope. Logic doesn’t support your theory. 

If they had done it they’d be taking great pains to publicize this.  Also keep in mind an application becomes public record - so no record until now is a pretty good indication they didn’t.   Now if they come out with this on Monday and show a trail they truly attempted, I’ll gladly agree with your take.  Until they do though Occam’s razor applies - the reason why they haven’t brought this up is they didn’t pursue.  Otherwise this would be front and center of their messaging.  

The best they could come up with was presenting this as new info they would review.  That’s telling given how much blow back they’ve already encountered. 

Archived