FF Elite Fantasy Baseball League (Season 1)

Mr. bDoDDleS

COUPLE OTHER INPUT needed.

Trade Deadline August 31st.  

Another excitement generator for the dog days of the league. This is also where teams have to make the choice are they buyers or sellers come the deadline, while also not being too long without making deals. While also you can't make September 15th deals for the championship race. You have to make that call by August 31st to sure up your roster. Trading would be allowed back after the last day of the season. (However, no collusion on "trading players back as rentals"

DL SPOTS = 3? 

It was 4 in Elite but with the deeper league and not having MiLB clog up MLB roster spots I think 3 is a good number, while not being too many where people start to stash injured players, but being enough to cope with a rash of DL stints.

Edited by Mr. bDoDDleS

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think it should be where they are.  I think September call-ups shouldn't make a player go from prospect to MLB keeper.  If there is someone that at that point looks likely to start the next year in the majors than it can be discussed but I don't have interest in tracking games played, especially for Sept call-ups.

Fantrax can do that for us. There are options to making if a player plays a certain number of games in the majors that makes then ineligible for a MiLB spot

Edited by Mr. bDoDDleS

8 minutes ago, Mr. bDoDDleS said:

Also in H2h you can punt categories. I'd prefer roto. And rewards the owner that builds the best team, not luck. 

Exactly my point. In this league, if you dont land one category, you're completely ****ed. One bad month and you're ****ed too. 

I dunno. I dont think I can join if it's a 15 man ROTO league. 

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Alright well I'm out

Lets put it to a vote. We'd have to make it 16 teams (2 divisions of 8 or 4 divisions of 4) then since we'd need an even number of teams. 

Here are the basic pros and cons of each. 

Pros of ROTO:
It's a more fair way of scoring. You can have the second most RBI in a week, but still lose the category in H2H. In roto, you don't have to worry about that; you'll always be rewarded for a good performance.

You avoid conflicts when comparing strength of schedules. There's a lot of luck involved in H2H. Who knows what team will struggle or go off from week-to-week. It's very possible for a team to keep getting lucky wins.

Cons of ROTO:
It's not nearly as exciting. If you love talking smack to your opponent each and every week. It's hard to do that when you don't have a single enemy.

It is less favorable for teams making a late push. If you're not near the top at the All-Star Break, you're not mounting a comeback.

There are no playoffs.

Pros of H2H:
It's more like playing real baseball. When you play the real game, you played one single opponent at a time. In H2H, it feels like your playing in a series every week.

Even when you're in last place, you have hope of spoiling the leaders. Nothing feels better than tying with the dude in first place when you're in 12th. You don't get that chance in roto.

You enter a playoff bracket at the end of the season.

Cons of H2H:
Inconsistent scoring methods. You can have the third-highest totals in four different categories, but still lose in each of them.

Not always does the best team win. It's really a matter of who gets hot the latest.

I know @beekay414's vote. I'm abstaining from a vote.

H2H Vote:
BK

Dingo but open to ROTO
Crab

ROTO Vote:

VOTE @Dingo18287 @crab1106 @Sllim Pickens @BillsGuy82 @Herbie_Hancock @zelbell

Edited by Mr. bDoDDleS

I don't care which method is used.  I like head to head because I feel like if I miss setting my lineup a few days throughout the summer, it doesn't sink me.  But I also agree with the pro's of roto in that it takes more skill and knowledge to compete.  My biggest struggle is that if you don't make 5 blockbuster trades a year, you aren't winning in roto.  Is there a way to do roto with a playoffs.  Like reset them at the beginning of September, the top 5 get in and reset to zero.  Give bonus points based on standing (5 for 1st, 4 for 2nd etc.) so that you can avoid the pitfall of roto IMO which is that if you are out of it by the ASG, you might as well tank.

Also, are there rules about the spirit of the game.  Like no benching people at the end of the year to tank for a higher pick?

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't care which method is used.  I like head to head because I feel like if I miss setting my lineup a few days throughout the summer, it doesn't sink me.  But I also agree with the pro's of roto in that it takes more skill and knowledge to compete.  My biggest struggle is that if you don't make 5 blockbuster trades a year, you aren't winning in roto.  Is there a way to do roto with a playoffs.  Like reset them at the beginning of September, the top 5 get in and reset to zero.  Give bonus points based on standing (5 for 1st, 4 for 2nd etc.) so that you can avoid the pitfall of roto IMO which is that if you are out of it by the ASG, you might as well tank.

Also, are there rules about the spirit of the game.  Like no benching people at the end of the year to tank for a higher pick?

If we go H2H then we could do a draft lottery for the teams that didn't make the playoffs, that would help against tanking somewhat. 

Also for the H2Hers. How many teams make the playoffs? 4? 8?  Or 6 with top 2 teams get byes for round 1?

2 week championship game? 

6 means we get the 4 division winners and 2 wildcards.

4 means we do 2 divisions and 2 wildcards.

8 means 4 division winners and 4 wildcards. 

Edited by Mr. bDoDDleS