Week 13: Chicago Bears @ New York Giants

Acgott

Strange game, and not exactly resembling the Phil Simms/ Lawrence Taylor Giants, circa 1986. But! A win, as they say, is a WIN; we'll take it.

FURTHERMORE, the Giants maaaay have unearthed The Successor To Eli in the person of Odell Beckham, who filled the air in MetLife today with footballs, en route to a 100.00 passer rating, and a perfect completion rate (okay, yes, 1-for1, but still-!). I fully expect the latest hysterical anti-Eli harrangue from The Mellow One, who has been sorrowing over The Decline And Fall Of Geno Smith. Now, with Geno eliminated as The Expected One, and Odell with today's passing heroics already in-house, who knows???

Let the overreactions flourish!!

Image result for Odell Beckham

The fact that we couldn't put them away in regulation shows how far off we are at this point. There are a couple losses that loom large at this point where we could have been in contention but this team making the playoffs would only be the result of a bad year for the NFC East, not NYG ready to contend. 

Positives:

1. The OL kept this Bears defense from wrecking the game. They gave up 3 sacks and there were times I was cringing but overall, they held up okay. They have been playing much better recently and probably have 3-4 serviceable pieces on that line going into next year. We're not there yet but it's a good sign. 

2. Saquon Barkley is just everything you can hope for and more. 

3. Young guys getting time on defense and holding up okay.. If our young DL continue to improve, they can be very stout next year. 

Negatives:

1. Curtis Riley is hot garbage. He needs to be off the field. We'll need to find a replacement for him next year. 

2. It took a pick 6 and a trick play where the defense completely forgot to cover Russell Shepard to win this game. In a game that a lot went right for us, we still barely won. Eli has to play better.

3. OBJ can't have 3 catches on 9 targets. Way too inefficient. Eli may have been forcing the ball to him but that has to improve for this offense to work.

Won 3 of 4 with winnable games left. Looks like we may be closer to pick 10 than a top 5 slot. That doesn't bode well for us picking up a franchise qb. 

I'll echo @GMENNATION, our young defensive guys are really impressing. I've been impressed with Zo Carter's pass rush moves all season, but he was out this past game. In his stead, BJ Hill and Grant Haley played great games. Hill had 3 sacks against a really good interior line. The big plus on him coming out was how athletic he was for his size, and he really has shown that. Haley is a bit on the small side, but that man is not afraid to hit. What he is lacking in right now will hopefully come with more playing time. He's instinctive, but he needs a better feel for the NFL game. He is showing a ton of promise though. He looked fantastic in the Eagles game and showed up against the Bears as well. Beal and Haley may be the CB duo of the future.

I know we shouldn't be winning, because of draft position, but I can't be mad about it. It feels so good.

14 hours ago, GmenSeattle said:

Eh, any wins from here on out are losses for future gains.  Granted if we show promise the offseason actions are likely to be much less severe so I guess there's that.

I don't think so. The difference between picks 5 and 10 isn't as valuable as the difference between winning say, 6 of our last 8 games vs losing out IMO. The players having confidence in themselves and the system is invaluable. That increases with each win and decreases with each loss. You can see a massive difference in the offense in the last month compared to all the other games this season and last season. This team is starting to build confidence and an identity. Necessary ingredients for being a contender - and impossible to build while losing. Adding an OL, pass rusher, and CB would vastly improve this team - and those are pieces we can very reasonably add in the 5-10 range. 

Of course, we all want to start grooming the new franchise QB, but it doesn't even look like there is one in this upcoming draft. Time will tell on that front. But I'm not completely against starting Eli for another season. He has made some head scratching mistake this season (let's be real, and every season), but he has actually played pretty well overall and showed he can still be an effective QB. Especially if we win 3 of our next 4 games then it will prove that this team can still win with Eli. If this team can win 3 of it's next 4 games, then that will prove they can still win with Eli. 

Archived