Your draft crushes that never became Packers

OneTwoSixFive

@PackerLegend 's topic on your 5 favourite Packer picks made me think of the guys I wanted that never became Packers.........so I started a new thread for that.

Most years there are picks I would love the Packers to make, but they go elsewhere. I have listed my pre-draft faves for one year in particular, 2017. This is not about being wise with 20/20 hindsight, it's your draft crushes before the draft happened. I'm not really someone who laments the past ("If only we had drafted T.J.Watt", for instance), but it is interesting looking back.

TE Evan Engram. Prolific undersized pass catching TE with 4.42 speed and a 36" vert. We needed a good young TE then (we still do). Went 23rd overall, the Packers never had a shot at him. >:(
WR Cooper Kupp. Scouts and even other receivers were blown away by the smarts and route running of this guy at the combine. Lack of top speed had him drop to early round three (69).
CB Fabian Moreau. (I'd have snapped him up in round two). He went in round 3 (81) to the Redskins, and was my favourite of favourites in this draft. Still don't know why he went that late. :o
CB Brendan Langley. Had great measurables and before the draft many had him as a 6th rounder. I loved his potential as a late pick, but he was snapped up in the 3rd by the Broncos, WAY too early.
DE Carl Lawson. Despite everyone saying he was too stiff (too tightly wound) and likely to be a future injury risk, he was really productive and I liked him a lot. went in the 4th (116) to the Bengals.
RB Tarik Cohen. Could be the only guy whose moves reminded me of Barry Sanders. Cohen's whole body is about the size of one of Barry Sander's massive thighs, :D but he has MOVES. 'The Human Joystick' went round 4 (119) to the Bears).

Other years don't really compare to the draft crushes of 2017 (for me). 2018 had DE Marcus Davenport and LB Tremaine Edmunds. 2016 had QB Paxton Lynch (I guess I liked his Ole Miss game too much).

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

For me the runaway winner is LB Telvin Smith.  Watched a ton of him at FSU, and I can't remember ever being so frustrated by GB repeatedly passing on a player that seemed to fill a need. 

What happened to him?

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I was infatuated with a number not running backs throughout the years: Jamaal Charles and jahvid best were probably my top 2. I loved that mold.

Jamaal Charles......I'll always think well of him cause he carried many a FF team to victory.
Just as Shawn Alexander and Priest Holmes had before him. That kind of production is always a #1 pick IMO  :)

This is pretty difficult without hindsight.  Just skimming through ~4 rounds, starting with the TT era.

2005:  Heath Miller, Duke Preston

2006:  WAY too many to properly list.  Thomas Howard is probably the most notable.

2007:  Leon Hall, Sidney Rice

2008: DRC

2009:  Eugene Monroe, Louis Delmas,  William Moore, Ramses Barden

2010:  Eric Berry, Jermaine Gresham, Alterruan Verner

2011:  Dontay Moch, Justin Houston

2012:  Nobody.  Maybe Dontari Poe and Justin Blackmon.

2013:  Robert Woods, Star Lotulelei

2014:  Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Jordan Matthews, Phillip Gains, Pierre Desir

2015:  Marcus Peters, Byron Jones, Maxx Williams, Eli Harold

2016:  Jaylon Smith, Myles Jack

2017:  OJ Howard, Joe Mixon

2018:  Marcus Davenport, Tremaine Edmunds

I italicized players we had no chance to draft.  I'm sure I missed some.  Also, the tandem of Chase Coffman and Martin Rucker will be amazing in the NFL...

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

He's been starting in JAX since his rookie season (2014), and is a key cog in their defense.  Named 2nd team all-pro last season.

There ya go. Good choice then. FSU has had a good program, training and producing a lot of NFL caliber talent. Hit a bit of a dry patch apparently, but they'll get their act in gear soon enough. Cant say I knew about Telvin Smith from back when (which isnt surprising) and his disappearing to JAX is why I've not heard of him since.

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

There ya go. Good choice then. FSU has had a good program, training and producing a lot of NFL caliber talent. Hit a bit of a dry patch apparently, but they'll get their act in gear soon enough. Cant say I knew about Telvin Smith from back when (which isnt surprising) and his disappearing to JAX is why I've not heard of him since.

I was only familiar with Smith because I live in Florida, and was watching a lot of FSU at the time with some buddies who went to school there.

Only ones we had a shot at drafting... obviously loved lots of top picks.

Ludicrous Love: David Johnson, Cooper Kupp, Tony Jefferson, Malik Hooker, Jessie Bates, Josh Rosen

Liked a Lot: Myles Jack, Evan Engram, Malik McDowell (thank christ), Harrison Smith, Jordan Matthews

Archived