David Johnson wants 30 touches a game

Dome

"I feel like there’s room for me to definitely carry more," Johnson said. "I think the biggest thing is me learning and getting better and improving. So I feel like I can definitely get that 30 touches, not all rushing obviously."

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10404/david-johnson

He's obviously incredibly effective and versatile but thats a lot of wear and tear. The article says he'd see about 5 more touches per game than last season if he gets what he wants. 

I don't think it's crazy for him to want it, it's crazy if the Cards let that happen. They'll ruin him. 

Honestly 24 is a pretty good number. Maybe 22 if he keeps getting hurt. 

Even if 10 of those are receiving, that's still a crazy amount of volume.  480 touches over the season.  The Cardinals do that, they may as well look for his replacement next year.  Because he won't last longer than 2 years.

that being said, i don't think he has a feel for how many touches that truly is.  That's 100 more than he last year, when he already had a really good amount of touches.

Don't see it happening.

The 400 touch mark is a dangerous one in the career of a RB. We've seen many instances in which a RB just breaks down after a workload like that.

I like David Johnson, but he's got to survive to a 2nd contract. That many touches a game won't help.

On 7/17/2017 at 6:55 AM, theJ said:

Even if 10 of those are receiving, that's still a crazy amount of volume.  480 touches over the season.  The Cardinals do that, they may as well look for his replacement next year.  Because he won't last longer than 2 years.

Given the how disposable a running back is in the modern NFL, the Cardinals would do well to do that even if they don't give him all these extra touches.

On 7/16/2017 at 10:19 PM, CWood21 said:

I mean, is that crazy?  Every player wants more touches, but it's the Cardinals responsibility to monitor the touches and not overwork him.

This is the biggest thing. The dude is such a swiss army knife that you don't want to overwork him to the point where he isn't putting up elite numbers faster than he could have been. I think limiting his touches is smart, and if Palmer can bounce back this year the Cards would be dumb to try and further run the offense through Johnson.

Archived