Your Weekly 5 up, 5 Down thread

pnies20

Up:

1. OL play - They played arguably the best front 7 in the NFL and Baker didn’t even get hit I don’t think.

2. Landry - has some clutch catches even if they didn’t amount to anything

3. Baker’s SECOND HALF - had like 350 yards and a TD in the 2nd half. Kept fighting and rallied the team around him.

4. Schobert - continues to be a bright spot on the D

5. Garrett racking up the sacks. Ogbah even looked decent

Down:

1. Baker’s first half - he was rattled by a great defense. Tried to Will the team into the end zone instead of playing smart. 3 picks ugh. 

2. Tackling and run D - Browns whiffed on so many tackles it was so sad to watch

3. T.J. Carrie - just outmatched all game and got caught looking stupid

4. Collins and Vallejo both looked like trash. One has an excuse one needs to be cut in the offseason

5. Penalties - Costly penalties all game once again

Sounds about right. It's baffling how bad our run defense is compared to last year. I mean, I know we traded Shelton, but come on.

Also, I thought Kitchens' play calling was pretty good again. Unfortunately we had to pretty much abandon the run in the second half, but I thought he called a good game. We only scored 13 points but that was due to Baker's poor first half and shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties and Callaway's fumble.

Up

1) Only gave up one offensive TD?
2) Landry
3) We had a four sacks and gave up zero
4) Baker had more passing yards than the Texans had total offense
5) Kicker was 1-1 on kicks

Down

1) Offense struggled to get off of the field before having them in scoring range
2) A few guys seemed to not be there mentally, Njoku the most obvious of which
3) Duke Johnson only had 2 touches
4) Baker had a handful of bad passes and 3 were picked off and his yard total was pretty meaningless
5) Penalties

Up

1. Baker’s response to a bad half.  Kid showed confidence and poise by coming out and leading the team and continuing to fire away.

2. OL.  3 games with no sacks?  Well done.

3. Landry finally made some plays down the field.

4. Calloway.  Despite the fumble, he looked like a guy capable of being a starting caliber WR.

5. Chubb.  The real deal.  Wasn’t able to do much on the ground due to the score, but looks great in the pass game too.

Down

1.Baker’s first half.  Some bad, rookie throws in there.  He was due tbh, not worried though.

2. Run D was atrocious, specifically Garrett.  I know he’s a stud, and I mentioned this in the gdt, but he’s not doing much in the run game. In the last 8 games he has a total of 12 non-sack tackles.  Seems almost impossible when you consider the snaps he plays. It’s also two less than his backup (Zettel) has in the last 3 games alone.

3, 4 and 5. Mistakes and penalties.  Sloppiness and mental lapses cost us any chance at a comeback. A QB can’t throw 3 picks in a half. A WR can’t fumble the ball near the goal line. TJ Carrie has to learn to stop holding.  A WR can’t run out of bounds short of the sticks on 4th down.  A TE can’t step out of bounds short of the sticks.  You can’t commit holding penalties that take 80 yard TD’s off the board.

This was a measuring stick game and we came up awfully short.  That said, this team is hella young and is improving each week.  I’m expecting a better performance next week.

Up

1. Baker Mayfield's ability to brush it off and bounce back. He never stopped talking on the sidelines and even though they didn't come back and win he backed up his talk that he would get them back in it. He's a true leader.

2. Antonio Calloway every week is taking bigger and bigger steps to show he can be legit receiving threat in this league. 

3. Pass Protection 0 Sacks and 1 holding call against Watt, Clowney, Mercilus and the entire defense. Neither Robinson or Hubbard are playing great individually and Robinson has looked down right sloppy the last 2 weeks but they are getting the job done as a unit whether it be because receivers are opening up faster, Baker is getting it out faster or play calling I don't care the results are exciting.

4. Resiliency We bounced back in the second half against a team that was clearly dominating us in the first half and on top of an 8 game win streak. In years past we would roll over and quit and let the game get completely out of hand. We are a young team still learning how to compete and a huge part of that is being able to brush of negative plays or entire negative halves and keep fighting. We have never had a resilient team a team that can overcome adversity and I think we have that now. We don't have the talent to compete with the big dogs yet but this resiliency will pay off when we finally do as every champion will face tough times in their playoff run.

5. Freddy Kitchen's I told my buddy at half time that now we get to find out what Freddy Kitchen's is really made of. Everything had been going really well for him the last few weeks and he hadn't had to do much coaching in game. Today we found out if he could make adjustments at the half and I think he did a nice job. 

Down

1. The Interior DL It's not just Trevon Coley. He takes the most heat because he is the starter but we honestly have ZERO NFL level talent at the DT position outside of Ogunjobi. We get pushed around at the point of attack and we generate ZERO push in the pass rush.

2. Tackling still incredibly poor. Missed TFLs and Missed sacks DL, LBs, DBs it is pretty much everyone except Joe Show.

3. Myles Garrett I love that sack production but I cannot remember the last time I saw him effect a run play in anyway. I am also starting too get frustrated watching him get so deep into the pocket too quickly. He is better the QB to his drop which is incredible but then the QB just has to step up and let the OT ride him by because we have ZERO inside push and Myles has refused to learn and inside counter of any kind. He has got to get better pocket awareness and develop and inside counter. If he does that he would be deadly because OTs are already having to move so fast to keep up with his speed rush they would be sitting ducks and easily knocked off balance with a physical inside move.

4. Antonio Calloway taking huge strides in the right direction but then he reminds you he is young, was out of football nearly 2 years and still prone to brain farts. 2 steps forward 1 step back. I still think he ends up being a legit #1 in this league but that fumble was brutal. Drops are one thing but the best don't make too many of those mistakes.

5. T.J. Carrie

Up:

1. Mayfield - Battled through adversity and never gave up. He's the right leader for our team.

2. Callaway - I've been kind of critical of him, but he's developing as a raw rookie and could turn into a real player for us next year.

3. The downfield passing game - We've been doing lots of quick release stuff the past few weeks, but showed we can get vertical.

4. Pass rush - we harassed the QB a decent amount

5. The bulge in Dorsey's pants when McCarthy was fired. I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, but that tent was definitely going up.

Down:

1. Run D - so many guys pushed off the ball or out of position I thought these were the expansion Browns for a second

2. William's chances as HC - if your calling card is defense and we play like that...no.

3. Mistakes/penalties - I almost expected to see Hue Jackson on the sidelines

4. Playoff Hopes - not that we had any to begin with, but now can the fantasy land optimists put a cork in it?

5. Jimmy Hallam - just because

1. The attempted comeback. 

2. Bakers 2nd half effort.

3. Kitchns 2nd half.

4. Averys sack on Watson was special, his turning was excellent

5. Landry/Callaway

1. Bakers first half sealed the win for hou

2. Kitchens 1st half.

3. No running room. 

4. Run defence

5. TJ Carrie

Archived