Top tier CB's: Rank 'Em: Greedy Williams vs DeAndre Baker vs Byron Murphy vs Amani Oruwariye

Jeezla

This is how I would rank them, I did not know till recently Murphy is a RS SOPH, I thought he was only a true SOPH, but he is a stud.  Amani is good but I would not take him over these guys assuming they all come out.  Greedy is the best one, kind of had a weak end to his season but his ball skills are really great, and Baker is the clear #2 if not arguably #1 if you take into account he is a better tackler than Greedy.

Andraez Williams LSU RS SOPH
Deandre Baker Georgia
Byron Murphy Washington RS SOPH
AJ Green Ok State JR
Iman Marshall USC
Kris Boyd Texas
Essang Bassey Wake Forest JR

On 12/3/2018 at 4:39 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Baker

Williams

Trayvon Diggs*

Essang Bassey

Murphy

Amani

those are how I'd rank the top CB's.

Diggs?  I assume you mean Trevon Diggs from Alabama?  Not sure I see that happening since he has missed half the season.  Did look solid when he was in there, does need to get way stronger in tackler and showed some flashes of that when he was in there this season.  This big play potential and ball skills make him a very interesting player but is still raw at the position, I hope he goes back to school.

Bassey I agree, he is a damn tough corner, good build, nice mobility and can tackle which is arguably the best part about him.  Good reaction time as well despite being a smaller corner can make plays on the football.  

To me if people sleep on AJ Green and he falls into the 3rd round or beyond, they are getting a steal with him.  He has big time playmaking potential and athletic ability I feel, he is so long and so athletic.  Wish he was a better tackler at times and gave better effort, but when he is on he is as good as anyone deflecting passes and getting his hands on the football.

Greedy - Good size/length, needs to put on some bulk, has good film to digest. Will probably test as well as advertised. Top 10 selection.

Baker - Short (but good arm length for his height) physical, a bit too handsy for today's passing game, good film. Testing could be up in the air, but I think he's going to lack top end speed in the 40 and teams will slot him lower than he should go. (Should be a top 15 guy, might go late 1st).

Trayvon Mullen (Clemson) - Ideal size/length, physical but smart with his hand fighting. Will be a specimen at the combine in all areas. Film will be inconclusive due to the superstar talent surrounding him; He'll be drafted higher than he should be. (Should be an early 2nd round guy, but will probably go late 1st).

Kris Boyd (Texas) - Ideal size/length. Plays to every pound of his weight in both coverage and run support. Tape will show a smart player who can use every tool he's got in his arsenal, but dropped INTs will be scrutinized a bit too much. Combine will be a good day for him (mid to late 1st).

Oruwariye - Salivating size/length/weight, very physical, very athletic. Doesn't play consistently enough to his tools, more of a hitter than a tackler, inconsistent technique that veterans QB/WR combos will exploit. Will probably blow through the combine, but the tape will balance that out to where he should be drafted (late 1st at best to late 2nd at worse).

Murphy - Good size/length, needs to put on weight. Too physical given his lack of bulk, will take a serious beating if he doesn't put on about 15+ lbs. Tape is very good, but also shows a big risk-taker (which will scare off a few teams). Combine will probably make him a lot of money (shouldn't be a top 15 pick, but will be). 

Michael Jackson (Miami) - Good size/length, physical enough to get looks early on. Good nose for the ball, but really not athletic enough for the position with lack of quickness or top end speed. Teams will use his combine to determine if he's a CB or S at the next level (2nd to mid 3rd round guy unless he rips off a sub 4.4 and turns in great 3 cone and shuttle drills).

Bryce Hall (Virginia) - Great size/length. Not very physical, doesn't tackle as well as you would like and doesn't "bring the wood" like a guy with his size should. Film is not going to be his friend, as he gambles too much for his lack of athleticism. Another CB/S tweener who will live and die on his combine numbers (mid 2nd to early 4th, unless he goes combine crazy).

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

Greedy - Good size/length, needs to put on some bulk, has good film to digest. Will probably test as well as advertised. Top 10 selection.

I don't see Greedy going ahead of Baker. I actually think Baker tests out faster than him too. I think Greedy hits low 4.5 where Baker hits somewhere in the 4.4's.

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

Baker - Short (but good arm length for his height) physical, a bit too handsy for today's passing game, good film. Testing could be up in the air, but I think he's going to lack top end speed in the 40 and teams will slot him lower than he should go. (Should be a top 15 guy, might go late 1st).

I have heard Baker will test better than people think. I too thought he was slow-ish, but all the reports I have read are saying he's a low-key freak.

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

Trayvon Mullen (Clemson) - Ideal size/length, physical but smart with his hand fighting. Will be a specimen at the combine in all areas. Film will be inconclusive due to the superstar talent surrounding him; He'll be drafted higher than he should be. (Should be an early 2nd round guy, but will probably go late 1st).

Very inconsistent. Both in coverage and with his physicality.

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

Kris Boyd (Texas) - Ideal size/length. Plays to every pound of his weight in both coverage and run support. Tape will show a smart player who can use every tool he's got in his arsenal, but dropped INTs will be scrutinized a bit too much. Combine will be a good day for him (mid to late 1st).

I don't see any shot of Boyd going in the 1st round. He gets roasted far too often despite his physical gifts. He's a late 3rd round pick at best for me right now.

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

Oruwariye - Salivating size/length/weight, very physical, very athletic. Doesn't play consistently enough to his tools, more of a hitter than a tackler, inconsistent technique that veterans QB/WR combos will exploit. Will probably blow through the combine, but the tape will balance that out to where he should be drafted (late 1st at best to late 2nd at worse).

He's going to test poorly (time-wise). He has great college tape, but he's slow.

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

Murphy - Good size/length, needs to put on weight. Too physical given his lack of bulk, will take a serious beating if he doesn't put on about 15+ lbs. Tape is very good, but also shows a big risk-taker (which will scare off a few teams). Combine will probably make him a lot of money (shouldn't be a top 15 pick, but will be).

Haven't watched a TON of Murphy, but I like what I see. I think he's a #2 CB in the league, but will be fine as a starter. Good overall player, elite at nothing.

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

Michael Jackson (Miami) - Good size/length, physical enough to get looks early on. Good nose for the ball, but really not athletic enough for the position with lack of quickness or top end speed. Teams will use his combine to determine if he's a CB or S at the next level (2nd to mid 3rd round guy unless he rips off a sub 4.4 and turns in great 3 cone and shuttle drills).

Jackson's athleticism won't be an issue. It's his technique in man coverage which leaves a lot to be desired. He's an off zone corner who makes splash plays. I have him as a mid-late 3rd round pick right now. He might move to S, but not because of his athleticism. It's because his backpedal and man turns are pretty bleh.

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

Bryce Hall (Virginia) - Great size/length. Not very physical, doesn't tackle as well as you would like and doesn't "bring the wood" like a guy with his size should. Film is not going to be his friend, as he gambles too much for his lack of athleticism. Another CB/S tweener who will live and die on his combine numbers (mid 2nd to early 4th, unless he goes combine crazy)

Don't like Bryce Hall. He's got some tools, but they don't really translate well to the NFL game, where he will be asked to cover some of the world's greatest athletes 1-1. That's a death sentence. I don't think he has nearly enough tools in his bag to be matched up on starting NFL WR's.

Essang Bassey needs to be on every list. He flashes in every game on a terrible Wake Forest defense. Elite at hawking the ball out of WR's hands and attacking the catch point. Not a big hitting CB, but he's great against the run too. Has a knack for getting guys down and doesn't miss tackles.

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't see Greedy going ahead of Baker. I actually think Baker tests out faster than him too. I think Greedy hits low 4.5 where Baker hits somewhere in the 4.4's.

I have heard Baker will test better than people think. I too thought he was slow-ish, but all the reports I have read are saying he's a low-key freak.

Very inconsistent. Both in coverage and with his physicality.

I don't see any shot of Boyd going in the 1st round. He gets roasted far too often despite his physical gifts. He's a late 3rd round pick at best for me right now.

He's going to test poorly (time-wise). He has great college tape, but he's slow.

Haven't watched a TON of Murphy, but I like what I see. I think he's a #2 CB in the league, but will be fine as a starter. Good overall player, elite at nothing.

Jackson's athleticism won't be an issue. It's his technique in man coverage which leaves a lot to be desired. He's an off zone corner who makes splash plays. I have him as a mid-late 3rd round pick right now. He might move to S, but not because of his athleticism. It's because his backpedal and man turns are pretty bleh.

Don't like Bryce Hall. He's got some tools, but they don't really translate well to the NFL game, where he will be asked to cover some of the world's greatest athletes 1-1. That's a death sentence. I don't think he has nearly enough tools in his bag to be matched up on starting NFL WR's.

Essang Bassey needs to be on every list. He flashes in every game on a terrible Wake Forest defense. Elite at hawking the ball out of WR's hands and attacking the catch point. Not a big hitting CB, but he's great against the run too. Has a knack for getting guys down and doesn't miss tackles.

I agree with everything said here, especially with Bassey.  Bryce Hall I do not view as a early entry guy to be honest, could do it but could increase he stock a lot by coming back.  His ball skills and ability to get hands on the football and make quick breaks on the football with his length is flat out elite, he is great at that.  Does need to improve like you said as a tackler and improve his overall conditioning and speed if that is possible.  I would be surprised if he came out early for the draft, he should come back to school even though he did make All ACC first team this year as a CB.  

• 3 weeks later...

Archived