Top tier CB's: Rank 'Em: Greedy Williams vs DeAndre Baker vs Byron Murphy vs Amani Oruwariye

Jeezla

1. Byron Murphy

Great ball skills and mirror ability with a fierce play style. Enough size and ready to contribute from day despite only a RS Soph. 

2. Greedy Williams

Good length and mirror ability with top athleticism. Coached well. Not especially physical and has some discipline lapses.

3. Justin Layne

Similar frame and quickness to Greedy but more physical. Two way guy that helped out at WR as a deep threat. Can mirror anyone but is raw. Ball skills and tracking aren't great.

4. DeAndre Baker

Technically sound with good ball skills. Has speed but his lateral quickness is average. Not especially physical as a tackler.

5. Joejuan Williams

Size speed guy that's technically sound. Good run support and solid ball skills. Raw on experience but big time upside.

11 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

4. DeAndre Baker

Technically sound with good ball skills. Has speed but his lateral quickness is average. Not especially physical as a tackler.

Not physical as a tackler?  I do not see that, Baker can really strike when he gets the chance and has laid some people out this season.  Just blasts them on the edge.  Sure he is not this tackling machine out there but is not asked to be.  But he can be very physical when he gets the chance I feel.

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Length is the most overrated part of playing corner. I like murphy and greedy and the same (top 15). Baker should go somewhere in the first as well.

What?  Tre Flowers for example on Seattle, his length combo with his athletic ability has allowed him success at CB.  The former safety in college made the uncommon switch to CB in the NFL but is in the right system to do that.  And in the right system a corners length is crazy important.  How can having longer arms and able to go after the football and reach around for the football where others cannot a bad thing?  Sure some longer corners are busts and projects that do not turn out but one has that at any position.

These are the only real long corners in the up coming draft, oddly enough three all played on the same team and are seniors.  So not super elite level length corners in this draft but good project guys for the system system.  

Derrick Baity Kentucky
Chris Westry Kentucky
Lonnie Johnson Jr Kentucky
Derrek Thomas Baylor

These are some other longer corners with some size to them, 6-1 or around that,  never is a bad thing to have a bigger corner as long as they can run.  AJ Green is the best athlete out of all these guys but can be inconsistent at times as a tackler.

AJ Green Ok State JR
Iman Marshall USC
Amani Oruwariye Penn State RS
Michael Jackson Miami FL

Xavier Crawford Central Michigan RS JR
Antonio Blackmon Purdue RS*

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Not physical as a tackler?  I do not see that, Baker can really strike when he gets the chance and has laid some people out this season.  Just blasts them on the edge.  Sure he is not this tackling machine out there but is not asked to be.  But he can be very physical when he gets the chance I feel.

Yea. I agree but delivering a big hit isn't the same as being a physical, consistent tackler. I think he's a pretty average, drag down, tackling corner and can have trouble in space. Some suggested he could play safety but I think he'd have to improve there. 

It's not a big knock imo, tackling and strength usually do improve from college to pros.

52 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Yea. I agree but delivering a big hit isn't the same as being a physical, consistent tackler. I think he's a pretty average, drag down, tackling corner and can have trouble in space. Some suggested he could play safety but I think he'd have to improve there. 

It's not a big knock imo, tackling and strength usually do improve from college to pros.

Essang Bassey and Julian Love are the only real corners who are literally good at tackling I feel, most are just ok at most.  Baker is good enough and I love how aggressive he is in coverage and that is what matters a lot.  Delivering that big hit that breaks up a pass is at times just as good as a solid tackle, so I would call him a physical corner not afraid of contact and that is always a good thing.

Agree on Love. But I'm not really on the Bassey wagon. He wasn't a particularly good tackler in the games I've watched. (FSU, Memphis & Notre Dame from what I remember..)He's a little slower than average and small. Good technician and ball skills but he seems kind of overrated around here.

I think Joejuan Williams, Tae Hayes, Byron Murphy, Justin Layne and Love are the best tacklers I've seen from this class.

30 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Agree on Love. But I'm not really on the Bassey wagon. He wasn't a particularly good tackler in the games I've watched. (FSU, Memphis & Notre Dame from what I remember..)He's a little slower than average and small. Good technician and ball skills but he seems kind of overrated around here.

I think Joejuan Williams, Tae Hayes, Byron Murphy, Justin Layne and Love are the best tacklers I've seen from this class.

Bassey was better against Notre Dame last year, this year he did not make as many plays because he was not tested as often I feel.  Just go to the other side and teams did, but for his size I think he is a very physical player in terms of pass defense and how he comes down and tackles aggressively.

Justin Layne I underrate a little, need to watch him some more but I really like his length and coverage abilities.  Is very active, good back pedal for sure and mobility in coverage, is a willing tackler but does miss at times and does not really have strong hands in terms of bringing guys down.  Will make the tackle if in the space but sometimes just slows up the offensive player and that is all most corners are expected to do.  Few just lay the guy out and drop them like a rock.  Layne I like though, will be a riser come draft time and could easily be in the top 8 CB prospect potentially.  

Murphy is again in the area a lot because of his athletic ability and how quick he is, I would not call him super physical but will get guys down when need be.  Not many CBs out there like Charles Woodson or Champ Bailey who were big physical athletes able to go one on one with a WR and bring them down as well.  Also non of the current group of corners are these big physical athletes like Patrick Peterson or Xavier Rhodes who can bully a WR around.  

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Derrick Baity Kentucky
Chris Westry Kentucky
Lonnie Johnson Jr Kentucky
Derrek Thomas Baylor

AJ Green Ok State JR
Iman Marshall USC
Amani Oruwariye Penn State RS
Michael Jackson Miami FL

Xavier Crawford Central Michigan RS JR
Antonio Blackmon Purdue RS*

What about Lamar Jackson from Nebraska? I don't think he's particularly good, but he's a CB that fits this mold.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

What about Lamar Jackson from Nebraska? I don't think he's particularly good, but he's a CB that fits this mold.

Lucky for him he is a JR I believe so he still has time to develop, no way he is good enough to come out early.  I agree he has a chance to be a decent player but still has a ways to go as a prospect.  Could also include Justin Layne I forgot him in that group as well and is arguably the best of the longer 6-3+ corners in the draft potentially.  Unless he is 6-2 or 6-1 which he probably will end up being.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Lucky for him he is a JR I believe so he still has time to develop, no way he is good enough to come out early.  I agree he has a chance to be a decent player but still has a ways to go as a prospect.  Could also include Justin Layne I forgot him in that group as well and is arguably the best of the longer 6-3+ corners in the draft potentially.  Unless he is 6-2 or 6-1 which he probably will end up being.  

Yeah I have seen the dude play for 3 years in high school. He's not 6'3...more like 6'1. Still big for a corner, but the 6'3 narrative is false.

Archived