Packers fire Head Coach Mike McCarthy; Joe Philbin named interim HC

IDOG_det

I haven't followed the GB situation that closely but I know that McCarthy has had a very good run as HC overall.  At the beginning of the season he had a winning % among the best to ever coach the game.  Maybe it was time, maybe it should have been done after last season, but doing mid-season seems wrong for a guy who's won 125 games for your franchise.  

Also, I question Rodgers in all of this, he has a strained relationship with McCarthy?  He also has a strained relationship with his mother, father and brother (who he doesn't speak to)  Maybe Rodgers is a bigger part of the problem than we think.  

43 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Also, I question Rodgers in all of this, he has a strained relationship with McCarthy?  He also has a strained relationship with his mother, father and brother (who he doesn't speak to)  Maybe Rodgers is a bigger part of the problem than we think.  

Astute observation.

It reminds of me of the saying: "if you run into an ******* today, you ran into an *******. If you run into an ******* everyday, it is likely you're the *******."

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Astute observation.

It reminds of me of the saying: "if you run into an ******* today, you ran into an *******. If you run into an ******* everyday, it is likely you're the *******."

thats why we gotta hire an even bigger *******. mcdaniels.

I am of the opinion that the higher percentage play would have been to keep McCarthy and hope he and Rodgers can get things turned around as the new GM continues to rebuild a depleted roster.  At the same time, I can also see why they may have thought it was just time to make a change.

As far as Rodgers being part of the problem, I was thinking back to how he looked at his peak, which I believe was in 2011.  The thing that I remember the most about the way he played back then was how easy he made everything look.  Now, seven years later, he is a player who is capable of making a throw here and there that is absolute magic.  A throw that practically no other QB could make.  The difference is that it seems like he has to work a lot harder to do that.  He seems to be trying so hard to create something magical that he has forgotten what really made him great when he was at his best. 

It's kind of like a kid on a playground playing basketball.  When the kid tries to make the same moves Michael Jordan made, it's impossible for him and he just messes up.  If the kid would just stay within himself and do what he can do, he would be a more productive player.  Instead of driving the lane and jumping up through three defenders for the "double pump, 360-degree slam dunk, maybe he would score more points if he would just take the 10-foot bank shot off the board.  Aaron Rodgers is the highest paid player in the history of the game.  He is constantly hearing from people in the media that he is the "most talented player ever to play the position".  Could it be that Aaron Rodgers is putting so much pressure on himself to be "the GOAT" that he is no longer playing within himself?  Is he instead trying to live up to an image he has in his mind that no one could ever live up to?

To be fair, the weapons he has now are nowhere near what he had in 2011.  Back then they had Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, and Jordy Nelson were considerably better than the promising, but still young and inexperienced receiver corps he is working with today.  It seems like Rodgers knows his weapons are not up to par and this is making him feel like he needs to take it all on his shoulders for the team to succeed.  I think if he could be more like he was back in 2011, and go back to basics with everything from his throwing mechanics, to his identifying the easier plays when they are available, he would more success.  Maybe if he takes a little pressure off of himself he could be like the kid on the playground who could do better with a consistent stream of 10-foot jump shots.

The Vikings played the Packers last week and this week we went into Foxboro to play the Patriots.  It was interesting to watch the game against the Patriots because Tom Brady didn't do anything spectacular in the game.  What he did do was consistently take what a very good defense would give him.  He didn't have any all-world throws.  He just worked his gameplan and looked like a player who was under far less pressure than Aaron Rodgers did the week before.  He was consistently good.  Aaron was inconsistently great.  Brady beat us.  We beat Rodgers.  

Coming out of the game with the Packers, I felt like the Vikings were a better team.  After this week's game, I didn't really get a feeling that the Patriots were all that much better than the Vikings.  What I did notice was that the Patriots were just more consistent.  They just kept doing what they came into the game to do, which was not to create fireworks, but merely to follow their game plan, play after play until the end of the game without making a lot of mistakes.  They did that, and consequently, they won the game. 

I'm not trying to take any shots at the Packers here.  Just giving my observations of the two teams which we played in consecutive weeks.

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Probably because he's not the GM anymore 

He's just been replaced though. It's weird to me that McCarthy is getting the brunt of the blame, followed by Rodgers, but no Thompson. Aren't most of the players on the roster still from Thompson's acquisitions?

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

He's just been replaced though. It's weird to me that McCarthy is getting the brunt of the blame, followed by Rodgers, but no Thompson. Aren't most of the players on the roster still from Thompson's acquisitions?

Thompson is already gone so nobody is going to waste time placing blame on him. Yes, all three of them are tied together and share blame, but Thompson and Mac are now gone and we are stuck hoping Murphy and Gute find someone to reel on Rodgers. 

I'm shocked he got the boot midseason, let alone hours after a game, considering all the good he brought the franchise. 100% right choice to move on, sometimes these relationships go "stale", but why not just wait until the end of the year? Do they still think they have some shot at the playoffs and want to try to fire up the players, send a message to the rest of the staff? Puzzling move.

18 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I'm shocked he got the boot midseason, let alone hours after a game, considering all the good he brought the franchise. 100% right choice to move on, sometimes these relationships go "stale", but why not just wait until the end of the year? Do they still think they have some shot at the playoffs and want to try to fire up the players, send a message to the rest of the staff? Puzzling move.

If the decision has been made to fire him now why wait until the end of the year?  So he can have 4 weeks of answering questions about if he thinks he's going to get fired?

19 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

or at least waiting until Monday. Doing it hours after the game serves no purpose to make the team better. Seems more like a ritual sacrifice to appease the howling portion of the fanbase who wants to see someone punished. I guess at least they got a few hours head start on the selection process of hiring a new scapegoat.

5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I am of the opinion that the higher percentage play would have been to keep McCarthy and hope he and Rodgers can get things turned around as the new GM continues to rebuild a depleted roster.  At the same time, I can also see why they may have thought it was just time to make a change.

If AR is the issue - which I'm not sold is entirely the case, but have been whispering about for some time now as a distinct possibilithy - my "solution" if it was acceptable to MM - would have been to innoculate the organization from him somewhat by hiring a high flying OC and letting him call the plays / handle the offense on game day.

Problems posed would have been the curtailing of MM power - would he accept that - and any successful OC under AR would move up the list of potential HCs - so hanging on to the solution might have been a problem.

Archived