Packers fire Head Coach Mike McCarthy; Joe Philbin named interim HC

IDOG_det

13 hours ago, ET80 said:

... talent?

Oh, you mean Andrew Luck and TY Hilton? Because that's the extent of the talent in Indy during the Pagano era. 

Not saying Pagano is some great coach, but let's be realistic here, the Colts had no talent in that timeframe. 

He did better at the beginning of his career with the same "talent" (or lack thereof) when he had Bruce Arians helping, and somebody else's roster (Dungy). That was the point.
If you disagree, name the difference between his 11-5 seasons and his 8-8 seasons. Similar roster, no Arians or Caldwell (not that Caldwell did great with the Colts).

Any coach/team should be able to build a continuing good team around a QB like Luck in 6 seasons. You don't just get stuck with the roster you have, you've got to build onto what few pieces you've got. In Pagano's case, he did the opposite, and he was fired because of it.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/01/01/packers-still-planning-pat-fitzgerald-pitch-while-arranging-interviews/2410436002/

Since Monday, the Packers have requested to speak to:

» Josh McDaniels, New England offensive coordinator

» Brian Flores, New England linebackers coach (defensive play caller)

» Dan Campbell, New Orleans assistant head coach/tight ends

» Mike Munchak, Pittsburgh offensive line coach

» Matt LaFleur, Tennessee offensive coordinator

They have already interviewed former head coaches Jim Caldwell (Indianapolis, Detroit) and Chuck Pagano (Indianapolis).

On 12/28/2018 at 7:15 AM, Mid Iowa said:

He did better at the beginning of his career with the same "talent" (or lack thereof) when he had Bruce Arians helping, and somebody else's roster (Dungy). That was the point.
If you disagree, name the difference between his 11-5 seasons and his 8-8 seasons. Similar roster, no Arians or Caldwell (not that Caldwell did great with the Colts).

Any coach/team should be able to build a continuing good team around a QB like Luck in 6 seasons. You don't just get stuck with the roster you have, you've got to build onto what few pieces you've got. In Pagano's case, he did the opposite, and he was fired because of it.

Pagano only had Arians for one season (his first in 2012). Funny enough, Arians had exactly the same amount of successful seasons as Pagano after he left Indy (2 seasons). The issue with Pagano's tenure was that he had Grigson as his GM.

12 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Oh I SO hope the Packers try to/hire McDaniels.

Haha, yeah.. Quite a few people said that McDaniels wouldn't even get a HC interview again following that debacle in Indy. I guess the pool of decent candidates is too small to exclude him at this point...

11 hours ago, childofpudding said:

Haha, yeah.. Quite a few people said that McDaniels wouldn't even get a HC interview again following that debacle in Indy. I guess the pool of decent candidates is too small to exclude him at this point...

Alternately many pundits and fans were overly dramatic about what happened. I mean the assistant coaches were all like "yeah I wanted to coach here anyway".

Those decisions happen dozens of times every off-season, people just got all emotional about it because the colts prematurely announced it.

Nobody would care at all if the colts FO had waited.

On 1/4/2019 at 10:13 AM, childofpudding said:

Yes but the Million Dollar  question is do the Packers put all thier Eggs in the McDaniel basket only to watch him bail last minute too? I'm not seeing many Frank Reich's out there??

Literally the best thing to ever happen to Indy, since drafting Luck.

8 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Alternately many pundits and fans were overly dramatic about what happened. I mean the assistant coaches were all like "yeah I wanted to coach here anyway".

Those decisions happen dozens of times every off-season, people just got all emotional about it because the colts prematurely announced it.

Nobody would care at all if the colts FO had waited.

No it doesnt.  They had a handshake deal all the way thru the superbowl, they then reached a CONTRACT AGREEMENT.  All that was left was to sign. That doesnt happen at all any season, let alone all the time.

Archived