Packers fire Head Coach Mike McCarthy; Joe Philbin named interim HC

IDOG_det

Although it's understandable why they did it, the problem with firing McCarthy is that there is also a possibility that the next coach ends up being a dud.  If that happens, you have wasted the rest of the window you have with Rodgers' career.  I don't see them recovering from that if they get a coach who is bad for the next 2-3 years. 

The Mike McCarthy era in Green Bay has officially come to an end.  Depending on who they hire as their next head coach, the Aaron Rodgers era may have just effectively ended as well.  Time will tell.  Maybe they will be able to find a good replacement for MM and hit the ground running.  Maybe.  Maybe not.

4 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Did you see the game plan and play calling?

Rodgers has missed throws, but McCarthy has done nothing to make things easier for him. Go watch NO or NE, when Brees or Brady are in a slump, Payton and McDaniels try to get their HOF QB easier throws. McCarthy hasn't done that for the last couple of years. I saw the same thing happen with the Chargers under the last years of Norv. He made it way too difficult for Rivers, and McCarthy has done the same for Rodgers in recent years. 

There have been several analyses looking at film showing much of that to be false. Too often Rodgers eschews the easy throw because he wants to scramble around and throw a miracle.

McCarthy DID have to go, however. Disconnect between HoF QB and the coach means the coach goes bye bye. Best decision by the team IMO, and doing it now lets prospective HCs know early that that prime spot will be available.

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

Although it's understandable why they did it, the problem with firing McCarthy is that there is also a possibility that the next coach ends up being a dud.  If that happens, you have wasted the rest of the window you have with Rodgers' career.  I don't see them recovering from that if they get a coach who is bad for the next 2-3 years. 

The Mike McCarthy era in Green Bay has officially come to an end.  Depending on who they hire as their next head coach, the Aaron Rodgers era may have just effectively ended as well.  Time will tell.  Maybe they will be able to find a good replacement for MM and hit the ground running.  Maybe.  Maybe not.

lol, this is one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this forum. This is the risk for any new potential hire. 

1 minute ago, childofpudding said:

There have been several analyses looking at film showing much of that to be false. Too often Rodgers eschews the easy throw because he wants to scramble around and throw a miracle.

McCarthy DID have to go, however. Disconnect between HoF QB and the coach means the coach goes bye bye.

Yeah, I said Rodgers isn't blameless. But the Packers don't run many man-beating route concepts and former GB receivers are on record saying so. 

Just now, game3525 said:

lol, this is one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this forum. This is the risk for any new potential hire. 

“The problem with going outside is that if you go outside you might get hit by a car, so you’re risking health if you don’t stay indoors” 

That’s what I pretty much read.

The job isn't as attractive as everyone thinks. The roster sucks and not only is Rodgers uncoachable, he's declining too. If the new coach dares to draft a QB, Rodgers is going to become a major cancer to the team.

Just now, Kip Smithers said:

“The problem with going outside is that if you go outside you might get hit by a car, so you’re risking health if you don’t stay indoors” 

That’s what I pretty much read.

Seriously.

This kind of thought process is why Marvin still has job. 

1 minute ago, game3525 said:

McCarthy IS a Super Bowl winning coach.  You have to give him that much credit.  It's not like we're talking about some rookie HC who came in way over his head.  I admit that it's very unlikely, but there is a small possibility that with a great draft and a few decent free agent additions MM could possibly turn it around next season.  The guy IS a good coach, however, it's hard to argue that it wasn't time for him to go too.

My point was mainly that there is a decent chance that their next hire doesn't work out, and that would pretty much spell the end of the Rodgers era in Green Bay.

1 minute ago, game3525 said:

Seriously.

This kind of thought process is why Marvin still has job. 

Marvin has a job because Mike Brown only cares about money and he is nothing like his father.

Applying the logic of Mike Brown to the other 31 owners is not going to get the results you expect.

Archived