Packers fire Head Coach Mike McCarthy; Joe Philbin named interim HC

IDOG_det

2 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Ehhh, Aarron Brooks wasn't that great. He did help turn around the Packers though after the Mike Sherman era. 

The point was that he ran an average to above average NFL offense with Aaron Brooks at QB.

I'm surprised McCarthy was fired mid-season. I don't think the Packers have done that to a head coach before? I think McCarthy will get another opportunity though. I'm guessing either with Cleveland or Tampa Bay. At least the Packers got a Super Bowl with McCarthy, and had mostly entertaining seasons. I know a lot of people will chalk it up to Rodgers, but McCarthy and his staff really helped Aaron turn into the player he's become. 

Just now, SkippyX said:

The point was that he ran an average to above average NFL offense with Aaron Brooks at QB.

That doesn't sound like a career highlight though. I never got the feeling that if it wasn't for McCarthy, the Brooks led offense of that time would be much worse. 

Wow. Packer fans have been calling for McCarthy's firing since at least 2009, and at long last they pulled the trigger on him. Childress-style, at that. Didn't even wait until the end of the year; they started the rebuilding now. And who knows, they may be better for it. McCarthy is a decent placeholder coach, but he doesn't inspire any passion or confidence and Green Bay needs a change.

3 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

That doesn't sound like a career highlight though. I never got the feeling that if it wasn't for McCarthy, the Brooks led offense of that time would be much worse. 

Your feeling that you never got is meaningless here. He got head coaching interviews based on what he did in New Orleans.

It had nothing to do with the 32/32 ranked offense in SF with a rookie Alex Smith.

1 minute ago, y*so*blu said:

Wow. Packer fans have been calling for McCarthy's firing since at least 2009, and at long last they pulled the trigger on him. Childress-style, at that. Didn't even wait until the end of the year; they started the rebuilding now. And who knows, they may be better for it. McCarthy is a decent placeholder coach, but he doesn't inspire any passion or confidence and Green Bay needs a change.

Anybody calling for McCarthy’s head before 2015 was just being an idiot. McCarthy did a lot for this team and he brought us a championship. The fact is, he lost his team. Once that happens, that’s it. I can definitely see him doing what Andy Reid did. I wish McCarthy nothing but the best. 

9 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Your feeling that you never got is meaningless here. He got head coaching interviews based on what he did in New Orleans.

It had nothing to do with the 32/32 ranked offense in SF with a rookie Alex Smith.

EDIT: Nevermind. Forgot McCarthy was fired after 2004. Still, the Saints weren't really lighting people up in New Orleans. A lot of people were surprised that the Packers gave him the job at the time. 

35 minutes ago, lancerman said:

And maybe the problem is with the franchise QB who goes rogue and misses wide open receivers because he's obsessed with the big pass. Maybe when you don't take what the offense gives you the team suffers. Maybe when the coach's plays offer you easy outs and you avoid them it's on you. By the way, they lost today's game because Rodgers sucked. 

Rodgers is playing like dog poo. Anybody saying any different is blind. Rodgers and McCarthy share equal blame in this mess of a season. Now, we have a QB who is as talanted as there has been in the NFL. We need a HC that is going to harness that a build an offense to get the most from Rodgers. Will we accomplish that with our next HC? Honestly, I doubt it but I sure as heck have to have hope. 

30 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

This was the right decision.

Lol at people blaming Rodgers for the packers issues.

It is amazing how some people on here are trying to prop up McCarthy (Well...not really given who the posters are). It is not just the Rodgers stuff, like look how long it took him to figure out Aaron Jones was good. 

Woof. Bit of a trashy move firing him immediately after a game after everything he's done here. Pretty disappointing way to handle this.

MM handled it with pure class, however. I hope he ends up somewhere tolerable because I'm going to root for him.

Too bad we didn't deal Rodgers for a haul and give MM a QB like Goff or Mahomes or Wentz to develop another winner with. I like those odds much much better than this version of Rodgers and what is statistically very very likely to be a worse coach than mcCarthy.

Archived