Packers fire Head Coach Mike McCarthy; Joe Philbin named interim HC

IDOG_det

45 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

https://www.ign.com/boards/threads/aaron-rodgers-is-a-punk.196747940/

Aaron Rodgers has been a punk for a decade, who cares?

Dude with a 21 TD to 1 INT ratio is declining. Okay, I guess Brady should retire then.

As a Vikings fan, I can say that if he has a similar ratio and plays in 2019 like he did in 2018, I would be very happy with that.  This is one of those situations that prove statistics often do not tell the whole story.

19 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

Prior to his injury, yes.

Mate I've watched about 6 packers games this year, he's not as good as 2016 self but he's still far from a problem. But you do you and continue to blame your QB for issues that go back to the coaching.

Oh gee, if you watched the TV copy of 6 of his games with the announcers almsot certainly slobbering over him surely you have a thorough understanding of how he's been playing this year.

If anyone thinks he's been anything better than "good" relative to the rest of the league this year thy are basing it 100% on his career and not current play.

Without looking at a full list of QBs I'd guess he's probably in that 6-12 range on the season.

31 minutes ago, Pugger said:

How did AR get his coach fired?  By playing lousy?  Rodgers hasn't played well but he wasn't the only guy on offense playing like crap this year.  The team got worse and worse every week and couldn't/wouldn't make adjustments during games.  Now, if AR looks like his old self next week then you can say AR played like garbage to get his coach canned.  To suggest that today is a very premature.

He's openly criticized McCarthy to the media. It's obvious Rodgers had his hand in this firing.

14 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Oh gee, if you watched the TV copy of 6 of his games with the announcers almsot certainly slobbering over him surely you have a thorough understanding of how he's been playing this year.

If anyone thinks he's been anything better than "good" relative to the rest of the league this year thy are basing it 100% on his career and not current play.

Without looking at a full list of QBs I'd guess he's probably in that 6-12 range on the season.

I blame it more on the offense than Rodgers given the Packers o-line has had issues the entire season, their best RB wasn't utilized because coaching and outside of Adams+Graham they haven't had consistent pass catchers and even then Graham has been eh.

If you're saying Rodgers is playing like a 6-12 QB and that's an issue.....Man packers fans have been spoiled by elite QB play. I'd personally put him at 8-12 this year, it's been a ridiculous year for QB play.

1 minute ago, Elky said:

He's openly criticized McCarthy to the media. It's obvious Rodgers had his hand in this firing.

Does Rodgers make the personnel decisions? A player criticizing a coach is the most common thing in this league outside of penalties.

1 minute ago, SwoleXmad said:

you're saying Rodgers is playing like a 6-12 QB and that's an issue.....Man packers fans have been spoiled by elite QB play. I'd personally put him at 8-12 this year, it's been a ridiculous year for QB play.

Yes it's an issue. He's getting paid to be better than that. That money can't go to improve the roster around him, and GB has had low draft capital for a decade.

The expectation is that Rodgers needs to play like a top 3 QB. Because he is getting paid to.

Thats not being spoiled. That's reality. Is every fan of every team that's ever had an elite defense spoiled too?

There are multiple way to construct a roster. When the intended strength of it isn't playign really anywhere near expectations the team will suffer.

Rodgers doesn't have any excuses. He has probably the best LT in the game, a top 5 WR, a tier 2 TE that he under utilizes and very nice RB that he virtually ignored in the passing game except for a few spots.

He has more than enough around him to lead an elite offense, but he isn't. In fact, our offense has been BOUYED by our running game this year.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Rodgers treated McCarthy like family tbh.

If the family's last name is Lannister, then...sure!

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Aaron had a good 2017 yeah?

I'm not going to debate with someone who hasn't even watched him play...

Even the biggest Rodgers fanbois that watch all him games the last few years wil admit that ratio is misleading and he isn't anywhere near his 2010-2014 level.

I fail to see how Rodgers could fall short of his level of play in '14, but not have a good '17. That doesn't even make sense, really.

43 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

What's clear is that this is Rodgers team and that's going to be a tall task for any new coach coming in. The Packers better hope that they don't just hire a Rodgers yes man.

Yeah, it's pretty clear they need someone to challenge Rodgers, or at least get him to shape up.

32 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

So, the format that he watches the games in makes it impossible for him to make any sort of real judgement on Rodgers' play?

And if Rodgers playing i the 6-12 range makes it difficult for the Packers to win, then the coach should most definitely have been fired.

Curious--it seems to me your opinion on your team, and Rodgers, was much different at the beginning of the year. Why is that? 

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yes it's an issue. He's getting paid to be better than that. That money can't go to improve the roster around him, and GB has had low draft capital for a decade.

The expectation is that Rodgers needs to play like a top 3 QB. Because he is getting paid to.

Thats not being spoiled. That's reality. Is every fan of every team that's ever had an elite defense spoiled too?

There are multiple way to construct a roster. When the intended strength of it isn't playign really anywhere near expectations the team will suffer.

Rodgers doesn't have any excuses. He has probably the best LT in the game, a top 5 WR, a tier 2 TE that he under utilizes and very nice RB that he virtually ignored in the passing game except for a few spots.

He has more than enough around him to lead an elite offense, but he isn't. In fact, our offense has been BOUYED by our running game this year.

Joe Flacco was paid like a top 3 QB and was expected to carry the offense, a QB can only do so much mate (I say Joe Flacco because I'm a ravens fan) 

This boils down to, you expect perfection out of your QB because you're paying him X amount of $. Never is an NFL season perfect, yet you expect it. That's being spoiled mate.

Rodgers has plenty of excuses but ok.

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

So, the format that he watches the games in makes it impossible for him to make any sort of real judgement on Rodgers' play?

And if Rodgers playing i the 6-12 range makes it difficult for the Packers to win, then the coach should most definitely have been fired.

Curious--it seems to me your opinion on your team, and Rodgers, was much different at the beginning of the year. Why is that? 

Yes of course format matters. He's never seen the wide open WRs Rodgers is habitually ignoring this year on tv.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have been fired. After Rodgers extension it's the only option. Can only hope Rodgers has an attitude change with new faces around.

You're surprised that results effect opinions? I mean, real things happened. You have never adjusted an opinion after events occurred before?

2 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

Joe Flacco was paid like a top 3 QB and was expected to carry the offense, a QB can only do so much mate (I say Joe Flacco because I'm a ravens fan) 

This boils down to, you expect perfection out of your QB because you're paying him X amount of $. Never is an NFL season perfect, yet you expect it. That's being spoiled mate.

Was paying flacco like a top 3 QB the right decision?

1 minute ago, SwoleXmad said:

Rodgers is playing like crap this season.  He is missing throws to WR, missing open WR that he is not even throwing to, yet looking at them.  

Rodgers has enough help on offense to be playing better than he is.  

MM is/was certainly partly responsible for the teams poor performance, but Rodgers is not without some share in that as well.

Archived