Packers fire Head Coach Mike McCarthy; Joe Philbin named interim HC

IDOG_det

11 minutes ago, NFL_Advisor said:

Mike McCarty is a good coach. He also lost his team... both can be true. That’s why it was time to fire him and also why everybody is saying he won’t be unemployed for long. 

Agreed. I think NE and GB should just swap coaches this off-season. Might settle a few debates.

43 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Was paying flacco like a top 3 QB the right decision?

No but what was the alternative? letting a SB winning QB hit FA? Hindsight says yes but oh well.

What are other options do the packers have but to pay Rodgers and hope the new coach they hire fixes the problems and Rodgers rebounds to peak 2010-2016 form. They haven't drafted well and their FA signings have been eh.

42 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Rodgers is playing like crap this season.  He is missing throws to WR, missing open WR that he is not even throwing to, yet looking at them.  

Rodgers has enough help on offense to be playing better than he is.  

MM is/was certainly partly responsible for the teams poor performance, but Rodgers is not without some share in that as well.

I never said he was, but people saying Rodgers is a bigger part of the problem than McCarthy are just flat out wrong.

14 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Agreed. I think NE and GB should just swap coaches this off-season. Might settle a few debates.

Brady would look worse because he's declining regardless. Belichick-Rodgers wouldnt work because Belichick would struggle with how Rodgers doesnt seem very coachable.

6 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

No but what was the alternative? letting a SB winning QB hit FA? Hindsight says yes but oh well.

What are other options do the packers have but to pay Rodgers and hope the new coach they hire fixes the problems and Rodgers rebounds to peak 2010-2016 form. They haven't drafted well and their FA signings have been eh.

There are always other alternatives. I personally think trading Rodgers would have been an enormous gamble, but one that necessarily resets the cycle. 

How many QBs not named Brady have won a SB after age 34?

I'm a proponent of the best chance to win is by sucking, build up a defense and hit on a young QBs window. 

"I never said he was, but people saying Rodgers is a bigger part of the problem than McCarthy are just flat out wrong."

this statement is flat out wrong. We will see what the better route was in like 5-10yrs.

dont be shocked to see MM and Mayfield hoisting the trophy before Rodgers does...

6 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

I never said he was, but people saying Rodgers is a bigger part of the problem than McCarthy are just flat out wrong.

Based on this statement, I must assume you have watched all 12 of the GB games this year?  If so, then you are entitled to that opinion.  If you have not, then you need to re-think that stance as those that have watched the 12 games may feel otherwise.  

Almost every completion is being made difficult with errant throws.  The Packers best years under McCarthy had WR's running wild with YAC (how many 50+ yard tds did Jordy have after a pass only went 8-10 yards?).  Hit a guy right at a route break and all of a sudden he's running full speed with a couple steps on the defender.  Can't do that when you have to hit the turf to catch every ball (Though Cobb did try a new rolling technique today, maybe that's what they should start practicing).  We saw that offense a bit in the 2nd half of Chicago but it's been downhill since then.   Rodgers has not been playing well this year.  We will see if a different coach helps that but anyone expecting the Packers to all of a sudden be a good team now that McCarthy is gone are going to be disappointed (or happy if not a Packer fan).  It's probably far-fetched to see them as any more than a fringe playoff team next year as well.  The following year Rodgers hits 37...  

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

There are always other alternatives. I personally think trading Rodgers would have been an enormous gamble, but one that necessarily resets the cycle. 

How many QBs not named Brady have won a SB after age 34?

I'm a proponent of the best chance to win is by sucking, build up a defense and hit on a young QBs window. 

"I never said he was, but people saying Rodgers is a bigger part of the problem than McCarthy are just flat out wrong."

this statement is flat out wrong. We will see what the better route was in like 5-10yrs.

dont be shocked to see MM and Mayfield hoisting the trophy before Rodgers does...

There are always alternatives, but in a league which is dedicated on QB play the safest option of paying your SB winning QB usually is the smartest one.

So you want/would've wanted to trade Rodgers, and think that's the best chance for the Packers to win a SB within the next 4-5 years. Okay, I remember some Patriots fans thinking the same thing because Brady hadn't won a SB in close to a decade. 

Assuming MM doesn't just take a year off to relax and collect his paycheck from the packers...(I assume he had multiple years left) 

10 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Based on this statement, I must assume you have watched all 12 of the GB games this year?  If so, then you are entitled to that opinion.  If you have not, then you need to re-think that stance as those that have watched the 12 games may feel otherwise.  

I've seen 6 games including the most recent one. "If you haven't seen all of the games you have to re-think your opinion" Condescending much?

I'm sure they feel otherwise, but that doesn't mean Rodgers is more to blame than ya know the man who runs the entire team. 

I have been on the "Fire McCarthy" bandwagon for quite a while.  It has been past due.

However, he was a very good HC for us for a long time.  He suffered some very bad decisions by TT, but had the Packers competitive for a long time.  Things just got stagnant and stale.

I wish him all the best.

Mccarthy needed to go. He had an innovative offense a decade ago but he hasnt adapted and the offense is stale. and if it was really between rodgers or mm, its easily rodgers. hes a special qb (yes, even still despite the down year) and Mccarthy is not a special coach. heck, wouldnt be unfair to call him an average coach.

Archived