Good, Bad, Ugly vs KC Part I

Silver&Black88

End of the day, Kolton was the best tackle of this class... he’s more athletic then 49ers tackle and he is being effective when healthy. He’s the new Jared Valdheer, and he is still raw. His potential is A level, he can be a rock for over a decade. Needs to stay healthy, build up strength, and keep adding the technical stuff. Can’t teach his size and athletic ability... kid is a gym rat too! I really like the pick 

35 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I knew Obi had a high risk of flopping. He shot up the draft boards after the combine, which is always a red flag... day 3 pick until he was a workout warrior. I really wanted Eddie Jackson at some point on day 2... dude was a stud in the SEC...idk that pick seemed like a vintage Al Davis pick...I wanted to be wrong, but we all knew how it panned out 

I keep seeing this take for Obi and it really doesn't make sense. He had 3 seasons of starter production at UConn and looked the part on the field. I thought he was a relatively safe pick and I would've taken him in the first round. Honestly, I don't think he ever got a fair shot with either coaching staff.

8 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I keep seeing this take for Obi and it really doesn't make sense. He had 3 seasons of starter production at UConn and looked the part on the field. I thought he was a relatively safe pick and I would've taken him in the first round. Honestly, I don't think he ever got a fair shot with either coaching staff.

okay he had college production but he was no all American? not even all conference team.... he was starter for a below average college team... with his physical traits a guy like that should have dominated college with his playing time and weak conference... meanwhile Jackson was ballin on national championship teams, and making all sec teams.....one guy was 6'4 ran a 4.4 and looking like a beast on jump drills....

3 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

okay he had college production but he was no all American? not even all conference team.... he was starter for a below average college team... with his physical traits a guy like that should have dominated college with his playing time and weak conference... meanwhile Jackson was ballin on national championship teams, and making all sec teams.....one guy was 6'4 ran a 4.4 and looking like a beast on jump drills....

I'm sorry but how does this equate to high bust rate? Because he ran fast and jumped high? He had quality film and ran fast and jumped high.

I don't care about awards.

4 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I'm sorry but how does this equate to high bust rate? Because he ran fast and jumped high? He had quality film and ran fast and jumped high.

I don't care about awards.

he played the game soft... he was inconsistent, looked great at times but never put it together... reason he wasn't a first rounder... scouts saw through the workouts in shorts.. Reggie was a dope who fell in love..  I get it from his eyes, he drafted a undersized 5'8? Joseph, so he wanted to balance it out with a huge 6'4 safety.....

4 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I'm actually happy the team drafted Miller over the safeties. Could you imagine him not being there after Penn went down? He's been up and down, but he's been competent. I don't think James would be as valuable to the Raiders as he has been to the Chargers who already had a solid defensive roster.

Fitzpatrick doesn't really stand out as a difference-making player to me yet.

Could have signed a FA who would have equaled his talent as a rookie. Drafted OT later in the class. Focused on draft LTOF in a stronger class in 2019. Drafting Miller was reactionary. Had a choice of 2 all-pros. Took a guy who will likely just be a guy in the league.

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

End of the day, Kolton was the best tackle of this class... he’s more athletic then 49ers tackle and he is being effective when healthy. He’s the new Jared Valdheer, and he is still raw. His potential is A level, he can be a rock for over a decade. Needs to stay healthy, build up strength, and keep adding the technical stuff. Can’t teach his size and athletic ability... kid is a gym rat too! I really like the pick 

Just being athletic doesn't make you better. McGlinchey is a stud and will be a 10-12 stalwart in SF. Miller's could realize his potential, or he could fizzle and just be another in a line of big athletic tackles who didn't pan out.

24 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Could have signed a FA who would have equaled his talent as a rookie. Drafted OT later in the class. Focused on draft LTOF in a stronger class in 2019. Drafting Miller was reactionary. Had a choice of 2 all-pros. Took a guy who will likely just be a guy in the league.

What late round rookie tackles are starting caliber players from this year's draft? Who could they have signed? There aren't competent left tackles lying around the free agency trash heap. That's why guys like Jake Fisher and Nate Solder get the money they do. Miller has injured the majority of the year but he still looked like he belonged on Sunday going up against one of the league's best pass rushers.

James has looked good joining an already talented defense and an offense that puts pressure on opponents to score. I doubt James looks like an All-Pro in Oakland. Fitzpatrick has been an okay player in Miami.

Obi has been playing some snaps for NE. Not saying it means much because guys wash out there all the time but it is something to monitor. The more players produce on other teams the worse this all star coaching staff looks. 

On James v. Miller, i really wanted James, but another thing to consider is that the scouts (Reggie) wanted James. I think that perhaps Reggie isn’t as bad of a talent evaluator that everyone thinks. 

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

Obi has been playing some snaps for NE. Not saying it means much because guys wash out there all the time but it is something to monitor. The more players produce on other teams the worse this all star coaching staff looks. 

On James v. Miller, i really wanted James, but another thing to consider is that the scouts (Reggie) wanted James. I think that perhaps Reggie isn’t as bad of a talent evaluator that everyone thinks. 

I actually watched all the snaps Obi played in NE. They trusted him in man coverage against Rudolph and he had one pass breakup. They also had him contain the edge a couple times. These past two coaching staffs lacked any imagination and foresight when playing and developing players. That's why guys like Conley and Joseph were pulled for lesser players to start the year. These coaches (and last year's coaches, for that matter) can't see past the last practice. 

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I actually watched all the snaps Obi played in NE. They trusted him in man coverage against Rudolph and he had one pass breakup. They also had him contain the edge a couple times. These past two coaching staffs lacked any imagination and foresight when playing and developing players. That's why guys like Conley and Joseph were pulled for lesser players to start the year. These coaches (and last year's coaches, for that matter) can't see past the last practice. 

Yeah it’s an indictment on how bad these coaching staffs have been when players have left and found success in other places. 

I dont understand how how hard it is to put Obi on TEs and play Joseph as a runstopper. It’s like they did the opposite and where surprised at the result. 

47 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Yeah it’s an indictment on how bad these coaching staffs have been when players have left and found success in other places. 

I dont understand how how hard it is to put Obi on TEs and play Joseph as a runstopper. It’s like they did the opposite and where surprised at the result. 

I do think it’s early to say whether Obi is a player or not, but we certainly didn’t find that out in Oakland. The only meaningful snaps we got of him were at corner. CORNER!

I also feel like the staff blamed him for being hurt, which is insane to me.

On 12/3/2018 at 3:19 AM, big_palooka said:

lol...any stats to back that up? Pretty sure he's surprisingly not the worst in the NFL right now on net average. 

Haha you know I'm exaggerating. But honestly though... do you see any potential in him?? Like seriously... he is atrocious lol.

13 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

What late round rookie tackles are starting caliber players from this year's draft? Who could they have signed? There aren't competent left tackles lying around the free agency trash heap. That's why guys like Jake Fisher and Nate Solder get the money they do. Miller has injured the majority of the year but he still looked like he belonged on Sunday going up against one of the league's best pass rushers.

James has looked good joining an already talented defense and an offense that puts pressure on opponents to score. I doubt James looks like an All-Pro in Oakland. Fitzpatrick has been an okay player in Miami.

If you think Fitzpatrick has just been okay you are sorely mistaken. 

Archived