squire12

16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

Just read a tweet that peaked my interest.  Timing could be about an effort to get their first choice of hot college coaches.  Hypothetically they could hire Campbell or Riley tomorrow without having to wait for the NFL season to get over.  

Vic Fangio's name is coming up for what it's worth. Not as a front-runner, but as a candidate.

Just now, SSG said:

Just read a tweet that peaked my interest.  Timing could be about an effort to get their first choice of hot college coaches.  Hypothetically they could hire Campbell or Riley tomorrow without having to wait for the NFL season to get over.  

Lincoln Riley is in the CFP.  He might be tough to get an interview with given that situation.  

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Current list based on names that posters have mentioned.  

39 minutes ago, SSG said:

I wouldn't be opposed to any of the names listed below.  Like some more than others.  Some have significant question marks but reality is almost every coach will.  Don't think there are any sure things available (ie like Kyle Shanahan IMO)

John Defilippo- Minnesota Vikings OC- Has been pretty good in his first year in Minnesota calling plays  this year.  Was tremendous in Philly last year.  

Matt Lafluer- Titans OC- His resume is impressive having worked with 2 of the NFL's fastest up and coming coaches.  Can this season be ignored though?  His first year in control of an offense and it's been disastrous.  Saying that though, Mike McCarthy's offense was terrible before GB hired him.

Bruce Arians- Former Cardinals HC- Resume is great.  Tremendous offensive mind that's done a lot of winning in the NFL.  Is he too old though?  Health issues would be concerning.

Lincoln Riley- OK Sooners HC- What's not to love about the Sooners offense since he's taken over? Scared about the transition to the NFL from college though (though it worked for Harbaugh and Carroll)

John Harbaugh- Ravens HC- I'm a big fan of the Harbaugh family (Jack, Jim and John).  Has been successful in Baltimore and would bring instant credibility to the defense.  Would want him to bring a high end offensive assistant with him.  

Pete Carmichael Jr-  New Orleans Saints OC- Been in New Orleans a while now.  Concerned about how much of an impact he has on Sean Payton's offense.

Matt Campbell- Iowa State HC- Don't know enough about him but I  there is a lot of gushing about him.  

I've soured on DeFilippo cause I read elsewhere that Frank Reich bore a lot more credit for last season in Philly. And the Vikings have been OK... but not as good as they should be IMO

Edited by FAH1223

11 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

I've soured on DeFilippo cause I read elsewhere that Frank Reich bore a lot more credit for last season in Philly. And the Vikings have been OK... but not as good as they should be IMO

For some reason I was thinking defillipo was the OC in Philly. He was the QB coach and is now leading a bottom half offense with some of the best playmakers any OC has.

Yeah, real hard pass there.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

For some reason I was thinking defillipo was the OC in Philly. He was the QB coach and is now leading a bottom half offense with some of the best playmakers any OC has.

Yeah, real hard pass there.

OL play is far more important than your playmaker group. Vikings and Seahawks front offices have ignored that for awhile and it's the primary reason that they've been so mediocre.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

OL play is far more important than your playmaker group. Vikings and Seahawks front offices have ignored that for awhile and it's the primary reason that they've been so mediocre.

I still think he has his squad underachieving.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Absolutely would agree with this.  That Vikings' OL is miserable, and it's affecting their play.

Such a daunting task. The track record across the league just has me shaking my head. I hope Murphy and Gute are lucky and good

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Was going to bring up Fichtner. 

I didn't even think of him because they're playing I was literally scrolling through the top dvoa offenses coaching staffs and whisenhunt didn't do it for me so I started reading about Fichtner and liked his history. He's developed some nice players in Pitt.