16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

17 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Imagine, for a moment that we are looking at this completely bazakwardz.  Do you hook a thoroughbred up to  a trotter buggy? No.

A thin slice of the 'pie chart of possibilities' is that Philbin recognizes what MM's ego couldn't.  Let Rodgers go.  No huddle, complete control, run as many plays as you can get in.  Just GO.  Philbin's got nothing to lose and neither does the Pack.

Let Rodgers put his money where his mouth is.  It could be magical. Maybe not. Maybe.

I have a feeling Philbin will still let AR change plays at the LOS but hopefully he'll get the plays in quicker, encourage Rodgers to take what the defense gives him, not give up on the run if it sputters and/or sit Aaron Jones for several series at a time.  Doing these things can only make the offense run a little smoother and keep the chains moving.  It is damn difficult to get into any kind of offensive rhythm if you go 3 and out repeatedly.

12 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Monken's only called plays this year. But Koetter took it back. We only scored less than 26 points once under Monken's playcalling.

The 'feast or famine' had more to do with the abundance of turnovers and no running game than anything else. But we've overcome the lack of running game. We moved the ball at will but turned it over on 25% of our drives. That's what killed us more than anything.

We're fifth in yards per drive at 39 and get at least one first down on over 75% of our drives, which is good for fourth. I think we lead the league in explosives and we've got five receivers with over 500 yards (which has only happened two other times in NFL history), with a decent chance to get that number up to six by the end of the year. Which would be an NFL record.

Like I said before, I think Rodgers breaks records with this offense. Like all of them.

What are the chances that the Buc's staff turns over this year?    And if they made a change, do you think they would jettison Koetter and promote from within?

14 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

What are the chances that the Buc's staff turns over this year?    And if they made a change, do you think they would jettison Koetter and promote from within?

I don't know. I've read reports that it would take 9-7 to save jobs. I've seen 7-9 will save jobs. I've read that it doesn't matter. 😂

If we do fire Koetter, again, I don't know what we'd do. 😂 The last thing we did was fire Lovie and promote from within. I don't know if we'd do it again. At the same time, this is the best offense in franchise history and Jameis seems to be the priority. So keeping the offense the same (again) through a coaching change is a possibility while we try to fix everything else.

I guess that's a lot of words to say I have no idea what the Glazers will do.

I've just realised that if I don't want Philbin to be our next headcoach then I should not want Carmichael or Bieniemy either as they are also offensive coordinators who do not call plays.

Carmichael personality-wise strikes me as very similar to Philbin. Whilst McCarthy and Payton have strong personalities their assistants are much more unassuming and intellectual, almost teacher-like. I don't think those personality types make a good fit as a potential Head Coach. I think there's a good reason why Philbin and Carmichael are not highly sought after after many seasons as coordinator. Philbin failings in Miami only adds further evidence to why his personality type does not work as head coach - just read any article about his Miami firing.

Bieniemy only had one year as coordinator and the foundations of the offence was built by Reid. Pederson and Nagy which he is directly benefiting from. I think the well has run dry there- Bieniemy may still turn out to be very good but I think its still too early for him to become head coach. Pederson and Nagy didn't call plays either I believe but the difference between them and Philbin and Carmichael is their stronger personalities which made them much more suited for head coaching jobs and not surprisingly they both have done well.

I hope the Murp and Gute will interview special team co-ordinators. Toub track record is absolutely superb and we should definitely consider him. He could bring Bieniemy along with him as the offensive coordinator but with playcalling duties which will represent a "promotion" for him. If we can't prise him away then there's Kafka the QB coach, doing a great job building on from Nagy work with Mahomes. Because Toub is so respected around the league and the fact Toub is used to dealing with new people for his special teams units and getting the best out of them each year gives me confidence he can handle and motivate Rodgers. The Kansas style offense could suit Rodgers perfectly too. We also get to improve our special teams too.  All of these guys mentioned have deep connections to Chicago and Minnesota. There's alot to like about this potential direction if that's what we choose to take.

19 hours ago, gopackgo27 said:

I'm really warming up to Pat Fitzgerald, don't think he's leaving Northwestern but that guy's a total stud.

He's definitely a good coach. I just don't see him ever leaving Northwestern. 

Michael Rodney aka PackersNotes on the coaching options:

Unknown-150x150.jpegCOACHING CAROUSEL

The Green Bay Packers will be in the market for a head coach for only the fourth time since 1992, and this time finding someone for the long haul doesn't have to be a priority. Aaron Rodgers (hopefully) has three or four good years left, so all that matters is hiring a coach who can maximize what’s left of his brilliant career.

That’s why my top two choices to replace Mike McCarthy are a pair of college coaches with plenty of NFL experience who probably wouldn’t stick around for long, but who would be perfect for the here and now.

1. Nick Saban (HC/Alabama): He seems very happy in college, but perhaps he’d like to give the pros one more chance before calling it a day. And the Packers might be one of the few jobs that would interest him. The tradition, the star quarterback he didn’t have with the Dolphins, the power… yes, the power. Mark Murphy’s “Triangle of Authority” might actually appeal to Saban, who sure as hell isn’t going to be subservient to a general manager at this point in his career.

The other great thing about Saban is the instant respect he would get from Rodgers. As much as 12 has achieved in the sport, Saban has achieved more. Would a Sean McVay-type be able to stand up to the 2-time MVP and future Hall of Famer? Maybe, maybe not. But there’d be no question with Saban. There’s also no question the guy knows how to hire quality assistants – something McCarthy failed at time after time.

The odds of the 67-year-old Saban being interested in the job are probably not very good, but Murphy needs to at least pick up the phone. People have long wondered how many rings Rodgers would have by now if he were coached by Bill Belichick. Well, Saban is the closest thing to Belichick out there.

2. Jim Harbaugh (HC/Michigan): He’ll coach again in the NFL, but he might not be ready to leave his alma mater just yet. If he is, Murphy should go after him aggressively. The 53-year-old is quirky and tends to wear out his welcome pretty quickly, but again, the Packers don’t necessarily need their next head coach to be around for a decade. Four seasons and a Lombardi Trophy or two would suffice.

Harbaugh isn’t as quite as creative as McVay or some of the other thirtysomethings out there, but he knows how to design an offense that can win in the NFL. His work in San Francisco with Colin Kaepernick is proof of that. Harbaugh would put players in position to succeed, and unlike McCarthy, he would stress physicality on both sides of the ball. That would be a welcome change for a team that has been soft for years.

As for Rodgers, the guess here is he’d be thrilled with Harbaugh – at least for a while. The fact that Harbaugh played the position in the NFL would be appealing, as would his already impressive resume that includes a 44-19-1 record with the 49ers and a trip to the Super Bowl. And while the two competitors might be at each other’s throats by year 4, that would be a small price to pay for what could happen in years 1, 2 and 3.

Since Saban and Harbaugh are long shots, here are 10 far more likely candidates – eight from the NFL and two from college.

3. Matt LaFleur (OC/Titans): McVay and fellow offensive savant Kyle Shanahan aren’t available, so this is about as close as you can get to them without cloning. LaFleur worked with Shanahan in Washington and Atlanta and with McVay in Los Angeles before taking over as Tennessee's offensive coordinator this season. And while the Titans haven’t exactly been lighting up the scoreboard, that’s more about talent than scheme.

The 39-year-old played QB in college, and that seems to be important to Rodgers, whose closest relationships in Green Bay were with Tom Clements and Alex Van Pelt, who both played the position. There are plenty of other creative young coordinators available – some I’ll get to later – but LaFleur seems to be the best of the bunch. As for the Titans’ 28th-ranked offense this season, just remember, McCarthy was hired in 2006 after coordinating the worst offense in the league.

4. Josh McDaniels (OC/Patriots): He’s the most divisive candidate on this list. Supporters will say he’s learned from the mistakes he made in Denver and point to all the success he’s had in New England with Tom Brady. Critics will say he’s an untrusty creep and point to all the success every offensive coordinator has had in New England with Tom Brady.

The 42-year-old isn’t quite as creative as McVay and Shanahan, but he does figure out ways to get fairly pedestrian wide receivers open. That could come in handy in Green Bay next season. McDaniels also knows how to work with a headstrong older quarterback. If his past doesn’t scare the Packers away, he would be a logical hire.

5. Kris Richard (DBs/Cowboys): The Packers have hired only one head coach with a defensive background in the past half-century (Ray Rhodes) and that didn’t work out too well. But as long as Richard could recruit a quality offensive coordinator, he’d be worth a good, long look. He did a solid job running Seattle’s defense from 2015 to 2017, and he’s doing outstanding work this season as Dallas’ defensive backs coach and passing game coordinator.

The 39-year-old is regarded as a good teacher and an excellent communicator. He demands excellence from his players and holds them accountable when they don’t meet the high standard he sets. That hasn’t been the case in Green Bay for years, where it often seemed the only way a starter could lose his job was by injury. Some team is going to make Richard its coach in the near future. The Packers could do a lot worse.

6. John DeFilippo (OC/Vikings): He would’ve been higher on this list a year ago when he was being heralded as a quarterback whisperer and the brains behind Philly's Super Bowl-winning offense. But after a so-so season in Minnesota, it's fair to wonder if maybe both DeFilippo and Doug Pederson were riding shotgun to Frank Reich.

While his Vikings’ offense hasn’t set the league on fire and he's been criticized for not running the ball enough (sound familiar?), there's still plenty to like about the 40-year-old DeFilippo. His quarterbacks seem to love playing for him, and he’s got plenty of experience for such a young assistant. He’s been in the league since 2012, and he coordinated his first offense under Mike Pettine in Cleveland in 2015.

7. Brian Flores (DC/Patriots): He’s been with Bill Belichick and the Patriots for 14 years, rising from a pro scout in 2004 to essentially the team’s defensive coordinator this season. In between, he’s also coached offense and special teams. Such a diverse resume makes him a rarity in the NFL. He’s been compared to Mike Tomlin – and not just because of his skin color. He’s considered to be an outstanding communicator who players respect and work hard for.

As would be the case with any potential coach coming from a defensive background, Flores would need to hire a quality offensive coordinator. Even if he could deliver such a person, it would take a man of great vision to hire Flores this offseason. Could that man be Murphy? It's unlikely, but you never know.

8. Todd Monken (OC/Bucs): He's the man behind Tampa Bay's high-flying offense, and while he wouldn't be the sexy pick to replace McCarthy, he certainly checks a lot of boxes. He played and coached the QB position in college, and he was the head coach at Southern Miss for three seasons from 2013 to 2015. Most impressive of all, the Bucs have scored 37 more points than the Packers this season with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jameis Winston under center.

While not the thirtysomething offensive savant teams are looking for these days, the 52-year-old Monken is far from a dinosaur. His offense in Tampa is aggressive and adept at getting receivers open down the field. It helps to have stud wide receivers DeSean Jackson and Mike Evans, but he's also coaxed productive seasons out of Adam Humphries (53 catches/5 TDs), Chris Godwin (49 catches/5TDs) and tight end O.J. Howard (16.6 yards per catch/5 TDs).

9. Kliff Kingsbury (OC/USC): The knocks are obvious – he has no NFL coaching experience and he didn’t win at Texas Tech. But this guy might be the brightest offensive mind in football, including McVay. And his resume when it comes to developing QBs is ridiculous. Case Keenum at Houston. Johnny Manziel at Texas A&M. Baker Mayfield and Patrick Mahomes at Texas Tech.

I've already mentioned how much Rodgers respects former QBs, and Kingsbury was a really good one at Texas Tech. He also played in the NFL, the CFL, and NFL Europe. As long as he could secure a top defensive coordinator, Kingsbury might be a roll of the dice worth taking. If you’re looking to be new, this guy is as different from McCarthy in about every way.

10. John Harbaugh (HC/Ravens): If – and it’s still a big if – he gets let go in Baltimore, plenty of teams will show interest. It would be a surprise if the Packers weren’t one of those teams. The 54-year-old won a Super Bowl with the Ravens in 2012 and is generally regarded as a solid coach. He would certainly be one of the safest hires.

The problem with Harbaugh, at least in regard to the Packers, is his history of fielding middling offenses coordinated by middling coaches. Think someone like Marty Mornhinweg would excite the fan base, or more importantly, Rodgers? Plus, no coach has ever won a Super Bowl with the two different teams, and a lot of great ones have tried. What are the odds of Harbaugh being the first?

11. Lincoln Riley (HC/Oklahoma): It’s a certainty that teams will come calling, and why not? The 35-year-old has a 24-3 record in two seasons at Oklahoma and has been to the NCAA what McVay has been to the NFL. Critics – and there aren’t many – wonder if his offenses would be nearly as productive in a conference that actually played defense. Those same few critics also cringe when talking about Oklahoma’s defense, which has given up over 32 points per game this season.

Even if Riley were interested in the NFL, it’s hard to imagine him choosing Green Bay over Cleveland. Re-uniting with Baker Mayfield would have to be much more appealing that teaming up with Rodgers, who would be only a few months older than his coach. Also, there would be far less pressure to win right away with the Browns. Get to the playoffs in Cleveland and you’re a hero. We all know what simply getting to the playoffs means in Green Bay.

As for in-house candidates:

12. Mike Pettine (DC/Packers): Why not? Like interim head coach Joe Philbin, he’s liked and respected by his players and has prior experience as a head coach. And unlike Philbin, he would actually have a chance of succeeding. The 51-year-old did a decent job with the Browns in 2014 and 2015 – winning 7 games in his first season with Brian Hoyer at QB. He also showed a keen sense when it came to hiring offensive coordinators.

There’s a chance Pettine doesn’t even want to be a head coach again, but if he does, the Packers could do a lot worse. I’d much prefer hiring from the outside – something the Packers haven’t done since luring Mike Holmgren from the 49ers in 1992, but it’s hard not to be impressed with Pettine - both on and off the field.

279. Joe Philbin (Interim HC/Packers): No. Just no.

23 hours ago, gopackgo27 said:

I'm really warming up to Pat Fitzgerald, don't think he's leaving Northwestern but that guy's a total stud.

I just don't see it.  Northwestern has not been a Big 10 power house by a long shot.  College record is 95-70 at Northwestern, not bad, but not NFL quality.

7 minutes ago, jleisher said:

I just don't see it.  Northwestern has not been a Big 10 power house by a long shot.  College record is 95-70 at Northwestern, not bad, but not NFL quality.

I mean, look at the big picture here. He turned that program around...

He's battling teams with players that the big schools don't ever even consider for recruitment.

How many 1st or 2nd or 3rd round pick have come from his teams? 

19 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I mean, look at the big picture here. He turned that program around...

He's battling teams with players that the big schools don't ever even consider for recruitment.

How many 1st or 2nd or 3rd round pick have come from his teams? 

Not to mention that the academic standards are probably pretty high as well, and that narrows the stream of recruits like a swollen prostate. 

My current head coach candidates rankings, this will be changed and updated as the weeks go by:

Top Tier: Dave Toub, Kris Richard, Pat Fitzgerald, Chris Peterson, David Shaw, John Harbaugh, Lincoln Riley,

Middle Tier: Matt Campbell, Josh McDaniels, Vic Fangio, Jim Schwartz, Dabo Swinney

Bottom Tier: Eric Bieniemy, John DeFilippo, Marquand Manuel, Joe Woods, Dan Campbell, Zac Taylor, Jim Leonard, Todd Monken

Rock Bottom Do Not Want Tier:  Joe Philbin, Pete Carmichael, Matt LaFleur, Jim Caldwell, Joe Lombardi

Ruled out of the running: Mike Shanahan, Bruce Arians, Jim Harbaugh,

On 12/7/2018 at 9:59 AM, Leader said:

Those are mutually exclusive comments. How's the organization gonna "get out of ARs way and let him run things" - but keep him honest?
How's the "keep him honest" part look?
ARs the QB.
Not the HC
Not the OC.
QB.

These are Poppinga's comments, not mine, but i will take a stab. If you develop a game plan together during the week, hold him accountable to how he holds to that. Give him the flexibility with each play call on what he is seeing on the field. If they want a 40/60 split on run/pass for example, they better be near it unless they make in-game adjustments.

Archived