16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

Just now, YaddaHolla said:

Is it fair to say someone would say No to this once in a lifetime job because of #12?

I doubt it.

You say no to this job because you like your current job better.

Frankly there are no A+ candidates bouncing around unemployed right now. You're either trying to lure those guys away from positions that they're very well compensated and typically comfortable, or you're churning up Coordinators and hoping to strike it rich. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

I doubt it.

You say no to this job because you like your current job better.

Frankly there are no A+ candidates bouncing around unemployed right now. You're either trying to lure those guys away from positions that they're very well compensated and typically comfortable, or you're churning up Coordinators and hoping to strike it rich. 

If there are not any rock solid options at HC how do you let go of one that you has gotten you to the playoffs damn near every season? Let him go without a legit option at HC. 

1 minute ago, YaddaHolla said:

If there are not any rock solid options at HC how do you let go of one that you has gotten you to the playoffs damn near every season? Let him go without a legit option at HC. 

If McCarthy is a B coach and there are other B coaches out there, sometimes you just need to make a change. 

You're just gambling you can pull a B coach from somewhere. 

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If McCarthy is a B coach and there are other B coaches out there, sometimes you just need to make a change. 

You're just gambling you can pull a B coach from somewhere. 

I feel guilty for not being optimistic about the packers future. I’m usually optimistic even during a down year because I know there’s always next season. But I’m not really excited for the future of Title Town.

10 minutes ago, YaddaHolla said:

I feel guilty for not being optimistic about the packers future. I’m usually optimistic even during a down year because I know there’s always next season. But I’m not really excited for the future of Title Town.

A top 8 pick, cutting some fat, an aggressive FA and the revival of Rodgers and we're back in the title conversation at least for a few more years.

Packers are at a crossroads. You either have to go all in and build this team for a 2-3 year run now or don't and acknowledge that you're rebuilding for 5-7 years down the road. Given we just gave Rodgers a mega deal, the choice should be obvious but we cant continue to half-*** it. Going to have to be very aggressive in FA and be comfortable trading picks (even high picks) for players, not worrying so much about the impact it'll have in 5 years if it will help us win now.

The common theme I keep hearing on football forums is why would  top college head coaches leave their job?  people are constantly putting down the idea of them accepting an NFL job for reasons such as job security blah, lifer blah, paid too well blah, precocious program blah etc...

I find it very hard to believe that every SINGLE ONE of the top college head coach candidates would turn down an NFL gig. That will almost certainly won't happen.

People keep refusing to believe that coaches like Pat Fitzgerald, Chris Peterson, David Shaw, Lincoln Reily, Dabo Swinney would accept NFL gigs.

This year we are expecting a fairly large number of NFL openings - with a shortage of viable top NFL coordinators teams are almost certainly going to dip into college football and they will be opening their purse strings.

People tend to forget that ambition. competitive juices, money, ego, change of scenery is what will prise some of these college coaches to the NFL.

On 12/5/2018 at 1:35 PM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

The story as I recall, McDaniels thought he could orchestrate a trade, didn't talk to Cutler about it, and when Cutler found out got angry.

I don't think he set out to alienate him, but naively thought he could start the discussions without Jay finding out.  Cutler viewed it as the ultimate vote of no confidence.

The story that has been pretty much confirmed is that Mcdumbiels tried to trade Cutler for MATT CASSELL on draft day. Obviously the Chiefs got him instead and McDumbiels is left with Cutler.  Cutler calls his agent, "Bus Cook" and asks what's happening.  Cook calls Denver sets up a meeting with McDumbiels.   According to at least 2 people at the meeting, McDumbiels spent 2 hours berating Cutler, telling him hes no good, that this QB is better, this QB is better, and so forth.  For 2 hours.  Immediately after leading Jay tells Bus he will not play a snap for McDumbiels.  According to McDumbiels the 2 hour beration was supposed to motivate Cutler and open him up to McDumbiels.

From a Bears fans perspective I hope you do hire McDumbiels bc he will waste the last couple good years that Rodgers has left and would totally destroy your franchise.

2 hours ago, Chili said:

The common theme I keep hearing on football forums is why would  top college head coaches leave their job?  people are constantly putting down the idea of them accepting an NFL job for reasons such as job security blah, lifer blah, paid too well blah, precocious program blah etc...

I find it very hard to believe that every SINGLE ONE of the top college head coach candidates would turn down an NFL gig. That will almost certainly won't happen.

People keep refusing to believe that coaches like Pat Fitzgerald, Chris Peterson, David Shaw, Lincoln Reily, Dabo Swinney would accept NFL gigs.

This year we are expecting a fairly large number of NFL openings - with a shortage of viable top NFL coordinators teams are almost certainly going to dip into college football and they will be opening their purse strings.

People tend to forget that ambition. competitive juices, money, ego, change of scenery is what will prise some of these college coaches to the NFL.

David Shaw gets called every off season, he has turned down every opportunity, and hes had plenty.  He has openly said the first step in getting him out of Stanford is convincing his wife to leave Palo Alto, that certainly ain't happening for GB.  It's just my personal opinion that Riley isnt leaving OK for a while unless its Dallas.  Pat has repeatedly said he is never leaving Evanston, he takes less money to stay at NW, he is called every offseason and tells everybody no.  Peterson and Dabo I think would be open to the right situation.  Peterson may consider GB, but hes the only one you listed that I would say is likely to consider it.

Archived