16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

21 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Winston Moss joked that Rodgers has been the head coach of the Packers for the past 9 years. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/09/winston-moss-jokes-that-aaron-rodgers-has-been-the-head-coach-in-green-bay/

Our head coach really has been Aaron's own worst enemy the past nine years. 

moss is an idiot

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

moss is an idiot

Until 6 days ago Winston Moss was the Associate Head Coach of the Green Bay Packers.

He was with the Packers for 13 seasons and steadily rose up the ranks after starting out as a linebackers coach.

He was about the only coach to survive McCarthy's purge of his defensive assistants after the 2008 season.

Moss was not some recent hire, he was by McCarthy's side through thick and thin like perhaps no one else on Mac's staff.

If Moss truly is an idiot, well then ...

So so much for the play calling wizard McVay. He called a crap game last night, so bad I thought McCarthy was on their side line. You knew your QB didn't have it but he kept trying to air it out. I know the Bears defense is great but how do you not let Gurley get more touches? Never got Cooks touches in open space like the Bears do with Cohen. 

The more I look back and see how the Patriots had success against aggressive defenses like Chicago and Minnesota Josh McDaniels is at the top of my wish list. To do what he did in Chicago without Gronk and average receivers was impressive. To go into Minnesota and take apart that defense was impressive. The Patriots always had a offensive system that any QB could have success in.

That team can have major turnover on offense year after year and never miss a beat.

I don't want a defensive head coach either. 

11 minutes ago, St Vince said:

So so much for the play calling wizard McVay. He called a crap game last night, so bad I thought McCarthy was on their side line.

And McVay is in year three.  Scheme doesn't matter, execution and talent to execute matter. 

I'll keep saying this over and over and over again.  "Scheme guys open..." Is the dumbest phrase I've ever heard.  No scheme out there doesn't attempt to get guys open.  The best-drawn play in the history of the world goes nowhere without the talent to execute it. 

Gameplanning and reaching players and getting players to buy into what you're selling is worth more than any scheme in the world. 

It's why I'm wary of anybody that has never coached in the NFL at at LEAST a coordinator position.  It's one thing to get 17-22 year old kids to buy into what you're selling, a completely different thing to get 22-35 year old players to. 

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

So so much for the play calling wizard McVay. He called a crap game last night, so bad I thought McCarthy was on their side line.

Maybe not his best, but play-calling wasn't the issue last night if you watched the game. Goff was literally under siege the entire game. The Bears front 4 had one of the most dominant games I've seen this year by a defense. Combine the facts that Goff (a) is young and (b) was playing in the cold, he was rattled and UNCOMFORTABLE AS HELL out there. He was missing guys left and right and the Bears in general covered well. It got to the point where he was throwing the ball early even when the pressure wasn't there. 

Add in the fact that the Bears completely shut down Gurley, especially in the first half, which is always a huge part of the Rams' gameplan. 9 times out of 10 it works because most teams cannot stop Gurley.  

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Maybe not his best, but play-calling wasn't the issue last night if you watched the game. Goff was literally under siege the entire game. The Bears front 4 had one of the most dominant games I've seen this year by a defense. Combine the facts that Goff (a) is young and (b) was playing in the cold, he was rattled and UNCOMFORTABLE AS HELL out there. He was missing guys left and right and the Bears in general covered well. It got to the point where he was throwing the ball early even when the pressure wasn't there. 

Add in the fact that the Bears completely shut down Gurley, especially in the first half, which is always a huge part of the Rams' gameplan. 9 times out of 10 it works because most teams cannot stop Gurley.  

Yup. The Bears defense did the same thing to the Vikings' offense. The Bears front seven destroys the opponents' O-Line and all else is lost for the offense. Some people on this site were doubting DeFillipo after the Viking O-line was smashed by the Bears, but the fate of McVay's offense was no different. Maybe DeFillipo needs to be reconsidered after this game? 

One thing for sure, the Bears are a fun and exciting team to watch. If we're going to compete with them next year, we are going to have to build a much better O-Line. Both guards are going to have to be upgraded considerably to handle Hicks and company in the interior. 

One other observation: IMHO Cohen is like 50% of the Bears' offense. Pettine is going to have to figure out how to neutralize him, or he's going o run wild against us in Chicago. 

Final observation: Our defensive front 7 and O-Line will need major upgrades this offseason, if we're going to compete with the Bears, but we already knew that.

2 hours ago, snackattack said:

MM didn't wear out his welcome; he was fired at the right time imo.  so i'm not exactly a MM defender since i think it was time to move on, but your post is just crazy talk.  i'm not even going to address firing him after a 15-1 season, one year after winning the superbowl.  2014 was an awesome season that the players blew in seattle imo.  we went to the NFC championship in 2016 despite playing with a devastated secondary with no talent.  after going to the NFC championship in 2/3 years i'm not sure why anyone would want to fire MM.

2017 was a wake-up call for the organization imo.  it showed that our entire plan for winning hinged on one player.  2018 just poured gasoline onto any fires that 2017 may have created for MMs tenure.

pretty sure you are just a giant troll solely based on your comment about firing MM after the 15-1 season, so i'm not going to get into a back-and-forth with you.  just wanted to point out MMs firing was 99% based on 2017 and 2018 imo, making his firing well timed.

Lol!

So losing a 12 pt lead with less than 4 mins remaining in the 4th quarter is the players fault? Obviously you remember nothing about the game. The fake FG that everyone saw coming was the players fault? Do the players call the plays now?

MM resorted like always to ultra conservative play calling on offense to the point that Pete Caroll basically read his mind.

With a zero running game, he kept running play after play even though Seattle stacked the box. Nice 3 and outs to give Seattle the chance for a comeback.

The 15-1 season means nothing when you get steamrolled by the Giants in your own stadium in the middle of winter. 

He choose to stay with Capers and continued to the tradition of losing in the playoffs. 

I mean Sherman did the same thing, got us to the playoffs every year and then we would be an early exit out.

If you want a coach that shoots for making the playoffs and then getting embarrassed by the likes of Kapernick, Carson Palmer, and Eli then so be it.

And blaming McCarthy for 2017 season and saying it was one of the reasons he got fired is a joke. McCarthy got a pass that season because AR was out the year and Hudley was a bust.

47 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

The Falcons are a prime example of why I do not want a defensive/special teams HC. They would've been better off promoting Shanahan and demoting or firing Quinn. 

Exactly.

You hire a DC as a head coach and then he has to hire a OC to call offense.

If that OC ends up doing well, then another team will poach them as their next HC.

1 hour ago, PackGymRat said:

I mean Sherman did the same thing, got us to the playoffs every year and then we would be an early exit out.

If you want a coach that shoots for making the playoffs and then getting embarrassed by the likes of Kapernick, Carson Palmer, and Eli then so be it.

like i said, i'm not going to get into a back and forth with you on MM, 15-1, or the 2014 NFCCG because you are trollish.  but i did want to comment on this part of your post.

i absolutely want a coach that is going to "shoot for making the playoffs".  i'm not exactly sure what you're suggesting as an alternative here.  that we would tank for a few seasons to build up an awesome roster full of top 5 draft picks?  How did that work out for the Jags?  One good season and they got no further than MM got 4 times during his tenure before they're back to sucking.  if that is the kind of team you want to be a fan of then we are very different kinds of fans.

no **** we've had embarrassing playoff losses.  every team has.  of course i want a coach that is going to get us in the dance every single year, because anyone can win at that point.  you talk like making it every year is a bad thing and like there is some good alternative.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't want a defensive head coach either. 

And McVay is in year three.  Scheme doesn't matter, execution and talent to execute matter. 

I'll keep saying this over and over and over again.  "Scheme guys open..." Is the dumbest phrase I've ever heard.  No scheme out there doesn't attempt to get guys open.  The best-drawn play in the history of the world goes nowhere without the talent to execute it. 

Gameplanning and reaching players and getting players to buy into what you're selling is worth more than any scheme in the world. 

It's why I'm wary of anybody that has never coached in the NFL at at LEAST a coordinator position.  It's one thing to get 17-22 year old kids to buy into what you're selling, a completely different thing to get 22-35 year old players to. 

Not that you don't make your usually compelling argument and it's so black and white. if we take what St. Vince said to heart it's a bad game coaches do have them. They just don't need to have multiple ones. Mcvay is a coach like any other and for the most part his entire year and last year has been good. Chi's defense is no slouch and we're in tough next week with our O line in shambles.

With that said scheming open whatever vs scheme with player buy in whatever. Just like when MM took over the need a leader of men i don't care who the coach is so long as the players believe in him and will follow him and his plan. Then as fans we have to hope his plan works and gets the Packers wins.

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Every single team has a Winston Moss on it. It's a necessary role with every football team. The brash, loudmouth, ra-ra-ra! guy to reach and motivate 25 year olds in way that 58 year old crusty white dudes can't.

You just don't like that guy talking to the press.

My thoughts too Winston was also likely used to get into a guys face and relate in certain ways too. I"m sure he's a great guy and i'm sure he sees there is an issue with AR and MM and maybe they were working on it. Either way his time here is passed i wish him well going forward.

Archived