16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

Brandt believes the Packers made the move early because they have their eyes on a college coach and/or they didn't want to contact agents/coaches while McCarthy was employed. Also says that he believes Rodgers will be consulted about who the next coach is. 

Oh and he vehemently disagrees that the Browns jobs is more appealing. 

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

So.....are we crossing DeFilippo off the list, or no? xD

Simply put if he failed as OC then there's no way he is ready to be the Head Poncho of an NFL franchise.

I wouldn't be opposed to him coming here as a non-playcalling OC or as a QB coach. As a head coach - no.

My current head coach candidates rankings, this will be changed and updated as the weeks go by:

Top Tier: Dave Toub (PC), Kris RichardPat Fitzgerald (PC), Chris Peterson (PC), David Shaw (PC), John Harbaugh (PC), Lincoln Riley (PC)

Middle Tier: Matt Campbell (PC), Josh McDaniels (PC), Vic Fangio (PC)Jim Schwartz (PC)Dabo Swinney (PC), 

Bottom Tier: Eric Bieniemy, Marquand Manuel, Joe Woods, Dan Campbell (PC), Zac TaylorJim Leonard (PC)Todd Monken (PC), Kevin Stefanski (PC), Raheem Morris (PC)

Rock Bottom Do Not Want Tier:  Joe Philbin, Pete Carmichael, Matt LaFleur (PC), Jim Caldwell (PC)Joe LombardiJohn DeFilippo (PC)

Ruled out of the running: Mike Shanahan, Bruce Arians, Jim Harbaugh,

KEY:

Red = NFL offence
Green = NFL defence
Purple = NFL Special Teams
Blue = College offence
Orange = College defence
(PC) = Playcalling Experience

34 minutes ago, Chili said:

My current head coach candidates rankings, this will be changed and updated as the weeks go by:

Top Tier: Dave Toub (PC), Kris RichardPat Fitzgerald (PC), Chris Peterson (PC), David Shaw (PC), John Harbaugh (PC), Lincoln Riley (PC)

Middle Tier: Matt Campbell (PC), Josh McDaniels (PC), Vic Fangio (PC)Jim Schwartz (PC)Dabo Swinney (PC)

Bottom Tier: Eric Bieniemy, Marquand Manuel, Joe Woods, Dan Campbell (PC), Zac TaylorJim Leonard (PC)Todd Monken (PC), Kevin Stefanski (PC)

Rock Bottom Do Not Want Tier:  Joe Philbin, Pete Carmichael, Matt LaFleur (PC), Jim Caldwell (PC)Joe LombardiJohn DeFilippo (PC)

Ruled out of the running: Mike Shanahan, Bruce Arians, Jim Harbaugh,

KEY:

Red = NFL offence
Green = NFL defence
Purple = NFL Special Teams
Blue = College offence
Orange = College defence
(PC) = Playcalling Experience

y u no Tomsula?!?!

I've been doing some research on these guys but a package deal of Toub HC / Bieniemy OC has firmly remained the ideal outcome in my eyes for a little while now.

Monken is an interesting candidate but I worry if he'd encourage more of that annoying "chase the big play" sandlot crap that Aaron got habituated into doing under McCarthy.

Matt Campbell just signed an extension at Iowa State through 2024. I'll admit, I know F-all about college coaches but even I at least have an idea of why guys like Riley and Shaw are attractive candidates; I have no idea why Campbell has been similarly hyped up.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

So.....are we crossing DeFilippo off the list, or no? xD

DeFilippo tanked his way out of MIN as soon as the potential for the GB HC position was becoming more likely.  Smart play by him  Going from Cousins -----> Rodgers

In case some might miss the sarcasm

15 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

I've been doing some research on these guys but a package deal of Toub HC / Bieniemy OC has firmly remained the ideal outcome in my eyes for a little while now.

Monken is an interesting candidate but I worry if he'd encourage more of that annoying "chase the big play" sandlot crap that Aaron got habituated into doing under McCarthy.

Matt Campbell just signed an extension at Iowa State through 2024. I'll admit, I know F-all about college coaches but even I at least have an idea of why guys like Riley and Shaw are attractive candidates; I have no idea why Campbell has been similarly hyped up.

I know it's been talked about, but the Chiefs would just block this because it's a lateral move. He's not going anywhere unless he is fired, or hired as a Head Coach

1 hour ago, TheBitzMan said:

Brandt believes the Packers made the move early because they have their eyes on a college coach and/or they didn't want to contact agents/coaches while McCarthy was employed. Also says that he believes Rodgers will be consulted about who the next coach is. 

Oh and he vehemently disagrees that the Browns jobs is more appealing. 

Brandt is pretty connected, I'm sure.  I think Fitzgerald is probably their top target as he seems like a perfect fit for the Packers organization, and Mark Murphy knows exactly what he'd be getting.  It might take some convincing, but the Packers can basically double his salary to make it happen.  

23 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Frank DeFazio aka John DeFilippo will more than likely get an interview.  I'd rather have a top college HC over a lot of the top NFL assistants.  I don't think it's a great group to choose from this year.  The best of the assistants is McDaniels. but he just seems like a bag.  I just don't trust him.

Well DeFlippo just got fired because Vikings offense has been terrible.

2 hours ago, TheBitzMan said:

Brandt believes the Packers made the move early because they have their eyes on a college coach and/or they didn't want to contact agents/coaches while McCarthy was employed.

Nick Saban, Chris Peterson, Pat Fitzgerald, Matt Campbell, Lincoln Riley, Dado Swinney have all signed long term contract extensions within the past year. One could argue they're all off the table.

A quick google search has articles about David Shaw signing his extension in 2012 but nothing more recently so that makes me wonder if it's him they're trying to interview? Its been 8 years so he must be nearing the end of his contract by now.

He ticks alot of the boxes we're plausibly looking for: offence oriented coach, right age, successful, smart, well respected, experienced. I've just discovered he's been a position coach in the NFL for 7 years before he joined Stanford so he's been around long enough to know what the NFL is about and that would give any GM a certain comfort level on any concerns about him transitioning from College to the NFL. Smart enough to work with Rodgers, Californian guy to relate with Rodgers? It makes far too much sense.

I'm calling it right now...its Shaw they're targeting. O.o

Well Flip can be marked off the list pretty comfortably.  

The more I think about this hiring the more I want it to be an offensive minded head coach.  I don't want to be in the current predicament that Minnesota is in or that Atlanta is in.  The Falcon's offense has looked terrible since the departure of Kyle Shanahan.  

Archived