16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

17 hours ago, TheBitzMan said:

Brandt believes the Packers made the move early because they have their eyes on a college coach and/or they didn't want to contact agents/coaches while McCarthy was employed. Also says that he believes Rodgers will be consulted about who the next coach is. 

Oh and he vehemently disagrees that the Browns jobs is more appealing. 

If Brandt is right about Murphy making the move when he did in order to go after for a specific college coach early, then I can't help but think that coach is Pat Fitzgerald.  He's going to really have to lean on him to pry him from Northwestern, so the extra time might end up being extremely helpful.

7 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

If Brandt is right about Murphy making the move when he did in order to go after for a specific college coach early, then I can't help but think that coach is Pat Fitzgerald.  He's going to really have to lean on him to pry him from Northwestern, so the extra time might end up being extremely helpful.

I'm just going to keep LOL'ing every time I see Fitzgerald's name linked to the GB job.  

Please take no offense to it.  I'm going to LOL right up to the point where he interviews, nails it and I get to smile knowing they got a really good guy!

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm just going to keep LOL'ing every time I see Fitzgerald's name linked to the GB job.  

Please take no offense to it.  I'm going to LOL right up to the point where he interviews, nails it and I get to smile knowing they got a really good guy!

I dont see how he leaves North Western. I mean dont get me wrong I would be ecstatic to land him as our HC but I just dont see how they pull him away from there. Literally hes living in his home town. His wife is from there, he played there, his teammates mostly still live in town from his playing days AND North Western is fully committed to him. Hes in a position that comes with about as good of job security as it gets at that level and its right in his own backyard. 

If Murphy can sell him on leaving all of that to coach GB i'll be shocked and will literally get a Murphy tattoo yellow teeth and all on my left butt cheek. 

Well put me in the minority - I don't want Pat Fitzgerald - or any defensive coach for that matter. Especially one who has no NFL experience. 

Also everyone just assumes it is Fitzgerald they are trying to get a jump on because of the Northwestern ties. IMO it makes more sense they would be wanting to get a jump on contacting college coaches that other teams are interested in and/or they have to do their homework on. Murphy already knows about Fitzgerald and his name is not involved in any other searches. 

My gut says this would have more to do with the likes of Riley/Campbell/Harbaugh than Fitzgerald if they are pursuing a college coach. 

22 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

I dont see how he leaves North Western. I mean dont get me wrong I would be ecstatic to land him as our HC but I just dont see how they pull him away from there. Literally hes living in his home town. His wife is from there, he played there, his teammates mostly still live in town from his playing days AND North Western is fully committed to him. Hes in a position that comes with about as good of job security as it gets at that level and its right in his own backyard. 

If Murphy can sell him on leaving all of that to coach GB i'll be shocked and will literally get a Murphy tattoo yellow teeth and all on my left butt cheek. 

I feel exactly the same way.  I'll LOL at the long shot...and when it happens, I'll be smiling as I walk into the tattoo parlor with you to make sure they get the teeth right....

It just depends on what kind of goals that Fitzgerald has for his career.  If he wants to eventually coach on the pro level he won't find many situations that are better than GB.  Sure, he'd probably love to coach the Bears some day, but they didn't show much interest in him when their job was open last year.  It could be several years before he gets another crack.  It's not like GB is that far away from where he currently lives in Orland Park ... it's a 3.5 hour drive.

8 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

That is where the article gets into pure speculation. That is probably where i stop with Brandt is he's got great insider vies into GBP but then like most other media guys he starts to speculate which is well just about a best guess. He could be right i wouldn't say he won't be but it's that's all it is at this point.

1 hour ago, PACKRULE said:

That is where the article gets into pure speculation. That is probably where i stop with Brandt is he's got great insider vies into GBP but then like most other media guys he starts to speculate which is well just about a best guess. He could be right i wouldn't say he won't be but it's that's all it is at this point.

Of course it's speculation. That's why I said "if" he's correct.  Any talk about who the next head coach might be is speculation.  I thought that was pretty obvious by now.

Andrew Brandt offered 2 potential reasons for the mid-season firing of MM - the idea that GB wants a college coach is getting most of the comments and interest

But the other reason he offered seems more likely to me  - and that is because MM and the candidates share an agent or agency and its really hard to reach out to those guys without tipping off the incumbent coach. You don't want MM to find out through outside channels that he's being replaced.

The coaching community is small, tight knit and there's a ton of crosstalk and overlap. I think GB chose to fire MM to open the door to all candidates - both NFL and college coaches. GB gets a head start in going after their preferred HC while allowing him to reach out to various assistants in planning for his future staff.

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Interesting.  After reading that, it sounds even more unlikely that he leaves Northwestern.  Sounds like he has it made where he's at.  Who knows.

It's going to be a long rest of the season lol.

All that matters is whoever is the HC... they bring Brett Favre in as their QB coach.

He is interested in coaching in GB and this needs to happen. Even if it means he is the highest paid positional coach in the league haha.

I just want Rodgers to have to end his career with Favre with him in some form.

Just now, Green19 said:

All that matters is whoever is the HC... they bring Brett Favre in as their QB coach.

He is interested in coaching in GB and this needs to happen. Even if it means he is the highest paid positional coach inthe league haha.

I just want Rodgers to have to end his career with Favre with him in some form.

I forgot about Brett

When I said there's nobody Rodgers would hate working with more than McDaniels.

Archived