16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

4 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I'm not disagreeing with you but ain't that stuff your asking a search firm to at the first instance pretty damm obvious, especially if your job is all about evaluation. The pool of potential candidates even if you include college ranks is so freaking narrow. I mean most of us on here are stating who those candidates should be. It's not like they'll identify some obsecure OL coach who is a perfect fit. If anything I thought a search firm would be used to validate a list and do some more digging around.

The company can approach people discretely. It's their job to know who is ready for a promotion and who is not. (For example, is Zack Taylor ready? Based on conversations with many people, they should know this.) Who is interested in being a HC in GB and who isn't. (For example, is Vic Fangio interested in Green Bay? Pat Fitzgerald?) They are having continuous conversations year 'round with GMs, coaches, etc. to know who is ready and a good fit for any given team. Saves Gute a lot of time. I'd rather have Gute working on player evaluation. Let the company create the pool and then put Gute to work sorting the pool.

I think folks are overthinking this.

Why would they suddenly NOT use a firm?

(1) They already have a short list

(2) They already know the guys on the short list VERY well.

or

(3) They already have THE guy

An announcement of this nature tells me: "Welcome to GB Mr. Fitzgerald!

We need our sleuths to track down private flights in flightaware to and from GB since MM was fired 😎

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I think folks are overthinking this.

Why would they suddenly NOT use a firm?

(1) They already have a short list

(2) They already know the guys on the short list VERY well.

or

(3) They already have THE guy

An announcement of this nature tells me: "Welcome to GB Mr. Fitzgerald!

We need our sleuths to track down private flights in flightaware to and from GB since MM was fired 😎

I'm really warming up to this. I never thought about him as a pro coach before these threads but damn if it doesn't make sense imo

On 12/12/2018 at 7:39 PM, Arthur Penske said:

If you go the defensive HC route, is Fangio a guy being overlooked? Perhaps a defensive HC isn’t a high possibility but difficult to find a better DC resume. Also steal the guy from Chicago responsible for much of their success this season. Rumor was GB was high on him this offseason before Pettine but hard to know if that was just MM.

I’m starting to like this idea. Why get an offensive guru when AR will override him anyway? Our issues have been politics on O and bad D the last few years. A strong D coach with a pushover OC really might be best. This coach is a 3-6 year commitment with a 35 year old AR so a Fangio coach actually work.

8 hours ago, Norm said:

I'm really warming up to this. I never thought about him as a pro coach before these threads but damn if it doesn't make sense imo

I wonder what kind of staff he would put together.  Mick McCall has been his OC for 11 years.  Interesting that he never parlayed that into a HC gig himself.  

Fitz is probably my guy, but he'll have to have a game plan for the offense.  Fitz is a culture hire .. he's a character guy with great enthusiasm and passion that would help get the Packers program back on track.  I have little doubt he would be able to attract bright minds to come work with him.  I'd be excited about the future if it happens.

From the Chicago Tribune - I found this laundry list article of pros and cons about Pat Fitzgerald:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-pat-fitzgerald-packers-northwestern-20181212-story.html

There’s LOTS of fuel for lively discussion, and it seems fairly objective, especially since it’s posted out of Chicago the week of the Packers vs the Bears!   ( - : #

Mark Chmura is in the news saying Aaron Rodgers got Mike McCarthy fired saying that no way Aaron Rodgers walks away from this looking good and that it was a disgusting act by him.  You can read the article here.  However, I myself will never take the opinion of a man that went to a high school post-prom party and sat drunk in a hot tub with the females drinking and was later accused of sexually assaulting one of the teenagers in the bathroom. Granted he was acquited, he's a grown man of celebrity status that should have NEVER been in that situation and I find it extremely hard to believe that at least part of what was said in that trial isn't at least true. They say he's a Packers legend in the article, he ain't my legend.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The smoke on Rodgers getting McCarthy fired is a full-fledged forest fire at this point.  I don't think anybody can really deny that. 

Oh trust me, I agree that where there is smoke there is fire. I am in no doubts that Aaron Rodgers contributed to the release of Mike McCarthy, I suggested as much well before these articles released and way early into the season in a Whatsapp group with @persiandud I'm merely stating that I don't give af to hear it from Mark Chmura of all people and that his opinions whether accurate or not mean very little to me.

25 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The smoke on Rodgers getting McCarthy fired is a full-fledged forest fire at this point.  I don't think anybody can really deny that. 

Sure, Rodgers had a hand in it, but Murphy and Gute also couldn't wait to get Mac out of there.  As Murphy said .. Mac's time had run its course.

Archived