16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

29 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not that it's hugely relevant, but SF was putting together a Gute/McDaniels package a few years ago.  There's some connection there.

That was prior to this last offseason though when he screwed over the Colts and a half dozen position coaches/ coordinators who made the mistake to trust the word of a scum bag.  Heck, his own agent got rid of him because his word is meaningless and he didn't want to be associated with dirt ball.  

Just now, Packerraymond said:

I really wish you were around when we hired the OC of the 32nd ranked offense to be our HC. 

You're smarter than this.  McCarthy had been an offensive coordinator for four years before he was hired specifically to turn around an already-struggling offense. 

McCarthy had Cody Pickett, rookie Alex Smith, Tim Rattay and Ken Dorsey each starting at least two games that year. 
Barlow and rookie Gore were his backs. 

For ****'s sake, look at the Niners roster in 2005:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_San_Francisco_49ers_season#Roster

It's a miracle McCarthy didn't somehow have the 33rd ranked offense.  The situation does not apply when the person you're responding about has a top 16 QB, two top 15 receivers, a top running back, a top tight end and an okay offensive line. 

Herman:

A lot of people will be upset with whoever the Packers choose as their next coach. There will be a TON of risk with whoever they pick--there are no A+ candidates out there. My thought... take the risk & go for the homerun. If it doesn't work you can reboot entirely post Rodgers.

34 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You're smarter than this.  McCarthy had been an offensive coordinator for four years before he was hired specifically to turn around an already-struggling offense. 

McCarthy had Cody Pickett, rookie Alex Smith, Tim Rattay and Ken Dorsey each starting at least two games that year. 
Barlow and rookie Gore were his backs. 

For ****'s sake, look at the Niners roster in 2005:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_San_Francisco_49ers_season#Roster

It's a miracle McCarthy didn't somehow have the 33rd ranked offense.  The situation does not apply when the person you're responding about has a top 16 QB, two top 15 receivers, a top running back, a top tight end and an okay offensive line. 

Defilippo is a rising guy, you don't get promoted as much as he has been recently without being good at what you do.

You're being way overdramatic. There are many worse hires we could make.

8 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Possibly, but I think there’s a ton of truth to what you said.  

What? That AVP is the key to ARs performance?
I simply dont believe that - as previously stated:  AR is a 14 year veteran. He's not some youngster / rookie. SB winner. MVP winner. Multiple Division and Playoff Game winner.

If some "behind the scenes" guy was the key to the kingdom - or as I put it -- the keystone holding up our bridge - his value would have been recognized and he would have been retained. I dont buy it.

Is the current QB Coach any good? I've no clue - but again - ARs game has fallen off considerably (IMO at least) and I just dont see AVP being the guy that made that happen.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

What? That AVP is the key to ARs performance?
I simply dont believe that - as previously stated:  AR is a 14 year veteran. He's not some youngster / rookie. SB winner. MVP winner. Multiple Division and Playoff Game winner.

If some "behind the scenes" guy was the key to the kingdom - or as I put it -- the keystone holding up our bridge - his value would have been recognized and he would have been retained. I dont buy it.

Is the current QB Coach any good? I've no clue - but again - ARs game has fallen off considerably (IMO at least) and I just dont see AVP being the guy that made that happen.

I don’t know why Rodger’s game has fallen off either.  It’s not completely ignorant to at least question if AVP’s absence has played a role.  In fact, it’s probably an accumulation of things, including the way AVP left that got into Rodger’s craw.  Add in Rodger’s injuries, the fact that he’s aging, that he hasn’t always seen eye-to-eye with his coach, that he just can’t seem to consistently take a 3-step drop and fire the ball, etc.  Many of these things can be addressed by someone who Rodger’s trusts and will listen to.  If not Mac all this time, then who was it?

Look, I’m not making a big deal about AVP either - I’ve stayed almost completely out of the discussion until I saw your post and found a nice opportunity to throw in a fun comment.  But I stand by the theory that AVP meant more to Rodgers than we might have know.  That is all.

13 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I don’t know why Rodger’s game has fallen off either.  It’s not completely ignorant to at least question if AVP’s absence has played a role.  In fact, it’s probably an accumulation of things, including the way AVP left that got into Rodger’s craw.  Add in Rodger’s injuries, the fact that he’s aging, that he hasn’t always seen eye-to-eye with his coach, that he just can’t seem to consistently take a 3-step drop and fire the ball, etc.  Many of these things can be addressed by someone who Rodger’s trusts and will listen to.  If not Mac all this time, then who was it?

Look, I’m not making a big deal about AVP either - I’ve stayed almost completely out of the discussion until I saw your post and found a nice opportunity to throw in a fun comment.  But I stand by the theory that AVP meant more to Rodgers than we might have know.  That is all.

It's cool. Relax. There's no "ignorance" going around. I simply dont think AVP's role was that critical to ARs success - and frankly, I dont think AR should (or would) want the outside world to get that impression either.

I mean - on one hand we have a guy thats generally mentioned in GOAT discussions - on the other, that same guy falls apart because some QB coach isnt around whispering in his ear?

Its not a big deal for me - but I dont buy it.

Archived