16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

Take McDaniels off the list guys he's not leaving NE. He wants to be coach and GM like Bill and will be handed that when Bill steps down. Like some have said him and Rodgers egos and personalities may not click.

Cutler demanded a trade when he took the Denver job and never played a snap under Josh. He may be a good coordinator but that doesn't mean he's a good leader.

6 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

One name I've warmed up to a lot is John Harbaugh, if he'd indeed be available (not to be confused with his blowhard brother Jim, who has been mediocre at a less competitive level).

Not saying he's a top candidate for me or anything, but I think it'd be okay with it.

He's currently 3-0 with the rookie Lamar Jackson under center. It's not simply that he's winning with the new QB, though, but that he has made an effort to play to his QB's strengths -- and it has been working. Basically, he's doing what Offensive Mastermind(TM) and QB Guru(TM) McCarthy should have done last season when Hundley took over, without even having the reputation of "genius" with offense or QBs.

It'll have to be with a really good OC next to him, but yeah.

Might as well keep Mac if the solution is a retread like Haubaugh who hasn’t won anything since 2012. 

18 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Take McDaniels off the list guys he's not leaving NE. He wants to be coach and GM like Bill and will be handed that when Bill stops down. Like some have said him and Rodgers egos and personalities may not click. Cutler demanded a trade when he took the Denver job and never played a snap under Josh. He may be a good coordinator but that doesn't mean he's a good leader. 

I agree - and what I might consider his skills as an OC are offset by what I think are personal (or leadership) qualities that will challenge any HC role he assumes. In a way - and this is all made up BS - taking over after BB might be the best thing for him in so much as BB is about as removed and distant a HC as there is. He's somewhat revered for it and its tolerable in this social media, "up close & personal" age because of his "grandfathered in" experience and success. Not sure that will be replicated in todays age.

8 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I know nothing about Texas Tech but see the record and assume this is a joke?

Not with the modernized air raid concepts he ran at TT. He's in high demand because of that offense as opposed to the poor record. 

I really hope that we hire someone who isn't calling plays on offense or defense.  I'd love to see a guy who can run an organization, get coaches with modern ideas in, and then manage crucial in-game moments with 100% of his focus.  I always said - I really liked MM the head coach, just not MM the offensive coordinator.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers take someone from the current or recent staff such as Joe Philbin or Edgar Bennett.   I think either could run the day to day operations, keep Pettine around, and find a modern OC to get the offense back to where it should be.  

I realize that this is a very conservative approach, but I also see so many "hot" offensive coordinators come in and flame out within 1-2 years.  

6 minutes ago, Cheech said:

I really hope that we hire someone who isn't calling plays on offense or defense.  I'd love to see a guy who can run an organization, get coaches with modern ideas in, and then manage crucial in-game moments with 100% of his focus.  I always said - I really liked MM the head coach, just not MM the offensive coordinator.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers take someone from the current or recent staff such as Joe Philbin or Edgar Bennett.   I think either could run the day to day operations, keep Pettine around, and find a modern OC to get the offense back to where it should be.  

I realize that this is a very conservative approach, but I also see so many "hot" offensive coordinators come in and flame out within 1-2 years.  

I really hope our next HC is someone from outside the organization.  IMP we need new blood and a change in attitude to fix what ails us.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25438836/answering-biggest-questions-packers-firing-mike-mccarthy-2018-nfl

Perhaps Murphy will return to that power structure. If so, one league source said he expected Gutekunst to want a "no-nonsense guy." The source said Gutekunst has long been a fan of Jim Harbaugh, the current Michigan coach and former 49ers coach.

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Can I ask the simple question: Why?

What evidence do you have that in the past year (plus) of the current organization flow chart - things arent actually working?
People complain about it left and right. Pulling up clickbait articles from across the internet as "evidence" its doomed / cant work / isnt working......etc.

But whats missing from all their posts - every one of them - is critical analysis of how its actually functioned since being implemented in Green Bay.

7 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25438836/answering-biggest-questions-packers-firing-mike-mccarthy-2018-nfl

Perhaps Murphy will return to that power structure. If so, one league source said he expected Gutekunst to want a "no-nonsense guy." The source said Gutekunst has long been a fan of Jim Harbaugh, the current Michigan coach and former 49ers coach.

Jim would be great here.

Dudes still super hungry too

Just now, Leader said:

Can I ask the simple question: Why?

What evidence do you have that in the past year (plus) of the current organization flow chart - things arent actually working?
People complain about it left and right. Pulling up clickbait articles from across the internet as "evidence" its doomed / cant work / isnt working......etc.

But whats missing from all their posts - every one of them - is critical analysis of how its actually functioned since being implemented in Green Bay.

To me, the interesting aspect of the change in organizational structure is the commentary in the MMQB article about how things started off the rails under Thompson.  It seems to me that there was more that went into this than McCarthy's opposition to Russ Ball.

It looks to me at this point that it wasn't a power grab for Murphy, but an attempt to build checks and balances in the system.  The trouble with the prior system was that smart employees don't jump levels to complain about their boss, so if the coach is a personality that respects chain of command, Murphy has limited options for getting the truth out of the subordinates to the GM.

The new system allows better feedback.  Murphy's is a football guy- pro bowl safety, former athletic director that has hired successful coaches, so it is not like the old days when the executive committee was too involved in the football decisions.  If Murphy isn't a dictator and uses the structure to get the information out and make good decisions then this system will work.  

It will be interesting to see which direction they go, as I am not convinced that the structure changes despite reports that it is a done deal.

17 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Hate this take Cheech.  This team needs new  blood not the tired, failed leadership/ direction of past coordinators. 

Nothing about the disaster that happened in South Beach would lend me to agree that Joe Philibin is a qualified head coach.  Edgar Bennett isn't even qualified to fully run an offense much less a team.  I'd call him a failure in Oakland given the lack of performance by his position group (ie failed miserably with Amari Cooper who's been a new WR since getting away from that mess).

I'm impartial about keeping Pettine.  Yesterday's defensive performance was almost worse than the offense's given the caliber of the Arizona units.  He's got similar struggles as McCarthy as he's shown he's not all that capable of getting the best from his players. 

Archived