16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

Anyone who questions the potential McDaniels hire should try to watch the Bears game. Mack and that great pass-rush wasn't a factor. Brady didn't have to hold the ball guys were always open right away and the ball came out. They ran the ball at Mack a lot and wore him down. McD also has a track record of making average Qb's look good in his system. Look at all the draft picks the Patriots received over the years from Qb's who played in his system while Brady was hurt.

8 hours ago, cannondale said:

Not in a million years do I make a commitment that involves numerous other collegues lives and careers and then back out leaving them twisting in the wind. There is no excuse that validates that. None. And if there was one, which there isn't, we would have heard it by now. He has had a year to give us this golden excuse that magically absolves him of all responsibility.  If he were rumored to be going to Detroit or Minnesota, Packer fans wouldn't be turning the other cheek. Rodgers had a busted knee as an excuse, and was burned at the stake. Yet McDaniels gets a free pass ?? Sad.

cannondale.....let it go.

I agree with some of your sentiments - although dont harbor the harshness of them. I too didnt think the INDY/NE thing was handled well. I'll allow there are probably details (or possibilities) about it I dont know but the overall didnt sit well for me personally.

Got it - but therein lies the rub. This isnt personal to (or about) me at all. At this point and time which of the listed candidates offers the GBP the best opportunity to move forward and succeed. With all the considerations that have been detailed here (en nauseum) - what do we need (?) - what does AR need (?) - what will make the train run smoother. You answer that question correctly and put AR behind the wheel, we'll be back to kicking *** way sooner than later.

Given the candidates I've heard about and my knowledge limit of each - I've decided McDaniels could be that guy. That best road forward. So I'm putting aside my opinions of the past. Letting it go. In truth - what does it matter?

Maybe we'll get him or maybe he wont come or isnt interested and we'll move on. Alright. The world wont end, but like Incognito I want a qualified offensive minded HC running things. Best case scenario (for me) - together with a offensive minded (and qualified) OC.

Based on what I know now - McDaniels would be the first step towards that reality.

A lot of folks are running around thinking they've got the newest, new fangled offense since the advent of sliced bread. Okayyyyy - well - we can run such a offense and we've got something they dont have: AR.

So, lets get this thing done - get on with 2019 - and move forward.

46 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I don't understand why people think McDaniels and gute are close? Because they both interviewed for jobs at SF the same year? That's laughably thin.

I think it's a plausible scenario seeing as he was the front runner in San Fran that he got comfortable with McDaniels as his pick for HC. Don't think I've seen anyone point out anything more than that. Nothing laughable about it.

Man these people trying to hate on McDaniels already are going to be just as bad as the Fat Mac crowd, I can feel it.

It was a nice 1 month break I guess.

I am not a great fan of many of the HC candidates out there. McDaniels is a hot favourite, but he makes me nervous. Recently my favourite grouping for the Packers is this.

HC Dave Toub. He is a top ST guy (as well as being assistant HC) and would need a strong OC and DC candidate to complement him.
That could be Adam Gase for OC 
Retain Mike Pettine for DC.

That (imo) gives strength in all areas going forward (Off/Def/ST). that's about as comfortable as it gets (for me) for the future. It might not work, many head coaches fail, but I like that setup.

8 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I am not a great fan of many of the HC candidates out there. McDaniels is a hot favourite, but he makes me nervous. Recently my favourite grouping for the Packers is this.

HC Dave Toub. He is a top ST guy (as well as being assistant HC) and would need a strong OC and DC candidate to complement him.
That could be Adam Gase for OC 
Retain Mike Pettine for DC.

That (imo) gives strength in all areas going forward (Off/Def/ST). that's about as comfortable as it gets (for me) for the future. It might not work, many head coaches fail, but I like that setup.

"I am not a great fan of many of the HC candidates out there"
Agreed - but I probably know less of them than you.

"McDaniels is a hot favorite, but he makes me nervous"
Agreed - but in truth, its his time in DEN that causes me trepidation. But - that was so long ago and I know less of the circumstances than current events. So I've decided to let it go.

That's all good but the problem would be if Gase is successful here he'll leave for HC opportunities then you're bringing in another new guy with another new offense. I'd rather have an offensive coach where we won't have to deal with that issue.

8 hours ago, cannondale said:

Not in a million years do I make a commitment that involves numerous other collegues lives and careers and then back out leaving them twisting in the wind. There is no excuse that validates that. None. And if there was one, which there isn't, we would have heard it by now. He has had a year to give us this golden excuse that magically absolves him of all responsibility.  If he were rumored to be going to Detroit or Minnesota, Packer fans wouldn't be turning the other cheek. Rodgers had a busted knee as an excuse, and was burned at the stake. Yet McDaniels gets a free pass ?? Sad.

Until you're actually in that situation, you don't know how you would act. 

Fans need to stop the "Well if i was Player A/Coach B, I would have handled it differently" argument. You're not him, you weren't in that situation and you most likely never will. Good for you that you would have handled it differently. There's probably 10 other members on this forum who would have done the exact same thing that McD did. Does that make them horrible people because they handled things differently than you would? 

I'm skeptical about McD being a good HC but not because of the things you keep bringing up. I have no idea what truly happened and I don't know why he handled things the way he did. None of us do. Sure I have my personal opinion but I'm not going to judge someone without knowing all the facts. Apparently some here do know all the facts or only need several reports to crucify a person. Maybe he really did make some bad mistakes? Well I guess that makes him human and not a perfect robot. I still haven't met a single person who hasn't made some bad mistakes. It doesn't mean McD gets a free pass from me but I'm not going to crucify him either. 

Would you want BB as our HC? After what he did to the Jets, Spygate and how he has dealt with certain players in the past? I'm sure there must have been Pats fans back in 2000 who felt the way he handled the Jets situation showed bad character. Fans who wanted no part of BB after that incident. I wonder how those fans feel now. 

1 minute ago, Chinaski_86 said:

Until you're actually in that situation, you don't know how you would act. 

Fans need to stop the "Well if i was Player A/Coach B, I would have handled it differently" argument. You're not him, you weren't in that situation and you most likely never will. Good for you that you would have handled it differently. There's probably 10 other members on this forum who would have done the exact same thing that McD did. Does that make them horrible people because they handled things differently than you would? 

I'm skeptical about McD being a good HC but not because of the things you keep bringing up. I have no idea what truly happened and I don't know why he handled things the way he did. None of us do. Sure I have my personal opinion but I'm not going to judge someone without knowing all the facts. Apparently some here do know all the facts or only need several reports to crucify a person. Maybe he really did make some bad mistakes? Well I guess that makes him human and not a perfect robot. I still haven't met a single person who hasn't made some bad mistakes. It doesn't mean McD gets a free pass from me but I'm not going to crucify him either. 

Would you want BB as our HC? After what he did to the Jets, Spygate and how he has dealt with certain players in the past? I'm sure there must have been Pats fans back in 2000 who felt the way he handled the Jets situation showed bad character. Fans who wanted no part of BB after that incident. I wonder how those fans feel now. 

We must meet so you can cross this off your list :)

2 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I really wish he was considered for just a OC postion instead. It's seemed to work out well in NE, don't know why it cant here.

Wouldn't you like to move up the ladder in your career?  That's like telling a good supervisor not aspire to be a head manager. All of those assistants aspire to be a HC.

Just now, St Vince said:

Wouldn't you like to move up the ladder in your career?  That's like telling a good supervisor not aspire to be a head manager. All of those assistants aspire to be a HC.

No I get it, but I think people here would be (including myself) more open to that rather than HC. 

From AcmePacking:

Confirmed Interviews

Jim Caldwell

Chuck Pagano

Josh McDaniels — Friday, Jan. 4 (source)

Dan Campbell — Saturday, Jan. 5 (source)

Reported Interview Requests

Pat Fitzgerald — Northwestern University head coach (full article)

Josh McDaniels — New England Patriots offensive coordinator (source)

Brian Flores — New England Patriots linebackers coach (source)

Dan Campbell — New Orleans Saints tight-ends coach (source)

Mike Munchak — Pittsburgh Steelers OL coach and former Titans HC (source)

Matt LaFleur — Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator (source)

Other Rumors and Reports

Adam Gase - former Dolphins head coach

Gase received his pink slip on the morning of Black Monday after three years as Miami’s head coach. The former Broncos and Bears offensive coordinator has since been mentioned by several sources as a potential Packers target — Broncos beat writer Troy Renck and Packers beat writer Ryan Wood said that they expect Green Bay to interview Gase in the near future, with FOX Sports 1’s Jason McIntyre saying he thinks Gase is instantly the Packers’ front-runner.

Eric Bieniemy - Chiefs offensive coordinator

While Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy has reportedly received interview requests from the Jets among other teams, the Packers apparently have not reached out, at least not yet. The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel’s Jim Owczarski says Green Bay has not requested permission to speak with Bieniemy. That, of course, could change as Packers brass meets with coaches.

Lincoln Riley - Oklahoma Sooners head coach

While the Packers and other NFL teams might want to interview Riley for their head-coaching vacancies, the Oklahoma headman has agreed to an extension that will keep him in Norman for the foreseeable future.

Pat Fitzgerald - Northwestern Wildcats head coach

Fitzgerald declared that he won’t leave Evanston in the moments following Monday’s Holiday Bowl, but the Packers still hope to interview him, according to the Green Bay Press-Gazette. Whether they’ll get their wish remains unclear.

55 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I think it's a plausible scenario seeing as he was the front runner in San Fran that he got comfortable with McDaniels as his pick for HC. Don't think I've seen anyone point out anything more than that. Nothing laughable about it.

Man these people trying to hate on McDaniels already are going to be just as bad as the Fat Mac crowd, I can feel it.

It was a nice 1 month break I guess.

There’s a certain crowd will do it to anyone who’s hired. They’re just naysayers. It’s all they’re capable of contributing. 

Archived