16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

33 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I've been on the McDaniels train from the start and happy a lot of cynical posters have jumped on board. The only team standing in our way is Cleveland if they decide they want him. 

But I think if we land one of the top three candidates we'll be in good shape.  Mac wasn't a sexy candidate in 2006. He was the OC of an 30th ranked offense of a team so bad they got the # 1 overall pick in 2005.  The only way he got that job he really had to blow TT away in his interview, but and it ultimately worked out he won a SB.

MAC wasn't the coordinator for the 49ers when their season result was the #1 pick.  The draft after his one year in San Fran, they picked 6th (after Green Bay).  Saying that though, their offense was still bad.  I think his 4 year stint at OC in New Orleans had a lot more to do with why he was hired than anything he did in his one year in SF.  In New Orleans he took the 29th ranked offense in points and 19th ranked in yards and transformed them into a unit that was top 10 in the league in both categories the next season.  

5 minutes ago, Green19 said:

2 things:

1. Rodgers has become what he didn’t want to be... Favre.

2. As I have said before Rodgers is like Rosen, he asks why... like a lot haha. The main appeal in my mind with McDaniels is we clearly are hiring someone smarter in offensive football than Rodgers. Now McDaniels coming in and badmouthing Aaron isn’t going to win him over.

But... I bet McDaniels can mess with Rodgers head a bit and always be like well Brady did it and how many SB rings does he have? Or he will be able to explain everything and answer those whys. And if he does that early and often enough Rodgers will buy in.

Good points .. Rodgers may love his stats, but what he is really going to be judged on is his # of championships.  I'm thankful for the one, but he's such a talent that if he doesn't add any more to it .. it will be a disappointment.  For Rodgers to be considered the GOAT he's going to have to add another Lombardi or two to the trophy case. 

This from an article in the MJS: "When I was the head coach,” Pettine said, “I didn’t enjoy the lack of interaction with the actual football part of it. I always made the comparison, it was going from being the teacher to now you’re the principal. The administrative part might be, as a coordinator, 90 percent football, 10 percent administrative stuff. That essentially flipped, and I didn’t like it."

This is why I caution against hiring a guy as HC based on his success as a coordinator. According to Pettine there is only about a 10% skill set overlap. We should be looking for someone with strong administrative skills. 

Link: https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/01/07/candidates-list-proves-packers-willing-give-fired-coach-second-third-chance/2483387002/

5 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

This from an article in the MJS: "When I was the head coach,” Pettine said, “I didn’t enjoy the lack of interaction with the actual football part of it. I always made the comparison, it was going from being the teacher to now you’re the principal. The administrative part might be, as a coordinator, 90 percent football, 10 percent administrative stuff. That essentially flipped, and I didn’t like it."

This is why I caution against hiring a guy as HC based on his success as a coordinator. According to Pettine there is only about a 10% skill set overlap. We should be looking for someone with strong administrative skills

Link: https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/01/07/candidates-list-proves-packers-willing-give-fired-coach-second-third-chance/2483387002/

I know just the person

giphy.gif

14 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

This is why I caution against hiring a guy as HC based on his success as a coordinator. According to Pettine there is only about a 10% skill set overlap. We should be looking for someone with strong administrative skills. 

Depends... like anything, it’s all relative. If you hire a guy and he is also the playcaller is he not focus as a teacher? The only issue there is you need to have a strong partner to cover the other group.

It depends on how the guy choose to run the team. That might of been Pettine’s down fall... not others.

The sad fact is these men get HC jobs based on their work as coordinators and teams hire them looking to have repeated success. If GB hires McDaniels, let’s say, they are hiring him for his offense and track record with Brady.

If you are going to be a CEO type HC then the challenge is always finding great coaching talent. If you are going to be playcaller HC... you need to always have the right coordinator partner and have your side of the football buttoned up.

some men want control over everything some don’t. It’s all based on style. GB needs to worry about finding a guy that is authentic and believes in his program, what that program is. That will lead to success and buy in.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

That's why I like Dan Campbell. A guy you want to work for and who is not the play caller. Someone who is about setting out vision and running the club and getting the right people in to do the football teaching stuff. That's why I see not all coordinators make good HC's.

I think what we need most now is a Qb whispering head coach that can get the most out of Rodgers.  He's our best bet at a championship over the next few years.  The problem you run into with the CEO head coach is that just about the time you have the OC in place and things start rolling, someone comes along and steals him away to the be their head coach.  A Jim Caldwell type OC might work, but I think I'd rather just have a coach who is a wizard on offense and hope that he hires a strong DC and ST coordinator to hold down their end.  I would be more apt to go with a the CEO type coach if we were in a major rebuild.

13 hours ago, packfanfb said:

For whatever reason, I don't think Cleveland is very interested. I mean they interviewed Flores so its not like it was a travel or scheduling thing...they were there and only interviewed Flores, not McD. 

Perhaps it was McD who wasn't interested?

8 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think what we need most now is a Qb whispering head coach that can get the most out of Rodgers.  He's our best bet at a championship over the next few years.  The problem you run into with the CEO head coach is that just about the time you have the OC in place and things start rolling, someone comes along and steals him away to the be their head coach.  A Jim Caldwell type OC might work, but I think I'd rather just have a coach who is a wizard on offense and hope that he hires a strong DC and ST coordinator to hold down their end.  I would be more apt to go with a the CEO type coach if we were in a major rebuild.

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment - we just need someone who can get through to Rodgers and create a dynamic offense again.

I'm not shocked that there are a fair number of legit HC candidates who've said they don't want the GB job.  It has unique challenges that some just don't want to touch.

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

Lets get this straight.  No national media or connected reporters with real sources knows how McDaniels interview went, but Arrigo does???

That's just laughable.

I think most people know Arrigo is full of it a this point.

However, I think with what Silverstein and Demovsky said about a 2nd interview, it can be interpreted as going well.

6 hours ago, 66PinG said:

#1. I really think the Packers would really like to keep Pettine on the staff. Honestly, the man did a lot of really good things early in the season. However, injuries and playing rookies was the undoing of the defense.

#2. I think the Packers hire an offensive minded coach that will be willing to keep Pettine on the staff.

#3. I believe the entire S and C staff is going to be replaced.

#4. I will call my shot here. If the Packers hire MCD, he replaces the s&c trainers, brings in a new oc and retains Pettine...... This team can win 12 games next year if they stay fairly healthy.

I don't believe the Packers are as talent defficient as most here.

I believe it is a coaching and availability issue.

Just my ,02 cents

edit: and replace Zook. I am tired of being zooked.

This is LONG overdue.  I'm very weary of us having so many injured players every stinkin' year.

3 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Better be careful with that thought process. It's been discussed here before and the Ted apologists won't appreciate it.         

I doubt there are numerous Ted apologists around any more.  Fans appreciate what he did but he just wasn't getting the job done the last handful of years at the helm.

While McDaniels frequently ( and deservedly) gets ripped on for Taking Tebow. Shouldn't he also get some praise for trading up to take Demaryius Thomas, Decker, Zane Beadles ( pro bowler in 2012) and maybe Ayers?

Also,

Let’s get back to the offense and examine a few players, starting first with Kyle Orton, who started 27 games and played in 28 for McDaniels in light of trading Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears. Here are Orton’s stats from those games:

Orton completed 610 of 998 pass attempts (61.1 percent) for 7,289 yards, 41 TDs, 21 interceptions and a passer rating of 89.6. During the two-season span from 2009-2010, Orton finished with the 14th best passer rating of the 33 quarterbacks who attempted 400 or more passes — ahead of Matt Ryan, Carson Palmer, Alex Smith, Sam Bradford, Matthew Stafford and Cutler (!), among others.

In 25 games played for McDaniels, 2009 first-round draft pick Knowshon Moreno rushed 393 times for 1,580 yards and 11 TDs, and had 57 receptions for 528 yards and five scores. He ranked 17th in total scrimmage yards for the two-season span from 2009-2010.

In 13 games played for McDaniels in Denver, Brandon Lloyd had 66 receptions for 1,239 yards and nine TDs. The 2010 season was by far the best of his career. In fact, his three best seasons were spent on three different teams: first under McDaniels in Denver, then most of the 2011 season with him while he was the OC in St. Louis and finally the 2012 season, when he first returned to New England.

It’s also worth noting that Elvis Dumervil’s breakout All-Pro season came in 2009, when he recorded a career-high 17 sacks.

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/16/new-england-patriots-was-josh-mcdaniels-time-with-the-broncos-as-bad-as-we-remember/

Archived