16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Sick of Belichick guys, with the exception of O'Brien they pretty much all suck. Not like Patricia is kicking *** in Detroit right now and Flores just took over him and was under him for a while.

Dude just needs more experience, one year of being DC isn't near enough, especially when you had Belichick over your head. 

I agree on the New England guys. They all try to just do New England, instead of being their own person and just taking the good elements from that culture.

The main issue with this crop of coaches, at least some of the young interesting coordinators, is most only have just this year at that level, the guy in KC, deflippo, etc. And everyone with years of experience has some serious baggage, McDaniels, etc.

43 minutes ago, Green19 said:

He is a dark horse name... but what are people’s thoughts on Brian Flores? New England’s DC. His background is mainly linebackers.

Apparently he is beloved by the players and there is nothing but amazing things written about his personality, style, etc.

The thought is he could bring in Chad O’Shea, their WR coach, as OC. He is seen as next in line to McDaniels if he leaves.

Flores currently has NE's defense (along w/ BB) at 17th in DVOA. Just for the record :)

He was brought up by another poster,  but the more I think about this, I have to think Todd Monken will be an interesting candidate for a team like the Packers.

He has been successful over multiple positions- OC at Oklahoma State in 2011 when they won the Big 12 and were number 3 in the nation.

As head coach at Mississippi state, he took a team from 1-11 to 9-5 two years later before moving to the NFL. 

Has the Buccaneers offense playing well this year.

Not a sexy name, but can create an offense that is built around Aaron Rodgers physical talents, and paired with a solid defensive coordinator could give the Packers what they need.

12 hours ago, IBleedGreen&Gold said:

Heard an interview with Brady Poppinga today and he said.....

they need to hire a coach the will just get out of the way and let AR call the offensive plays and keep him honest when needed. Develop the scheme together and let AR run with it.

Those are mutually exclusive comments. How's the organization gonna "get out of ARs way and let him run things" - but keep him honest?
How's the "keep him honest" part look?
ARs the QB.
Not the HC
Not the OC.
QB.

15 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

So uhh, ... I'm gonna walk back what I said about Philbin. I doubt we'll roll with him after the season is up, but am not as confident now after I thought about it for a bit as I was when this was previously suggested. Murphy said they'll take this time to evaluate him as a candidate. Could just be political correctness, but I believe him.

If we do go with him, though, good chance it's because our team looked great over the next four weeks. In which case, I might actually be cool with it.

It will be interesting to see how the team responds to Philbin these next 4 weeks.

4 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

He was brought up by another poster,  but the more I think about this, I have to think Todd Monken will be an interesting candidate for a team like the Packers.

He has been successful over multiple positions- OC at Oklahoma State in 2011 when they won the Big 12 and were number 3 in the nation.

As head coach at Mississippi state, he took a team from 1-11 to 9-5 two years later before moving to the NFL. 

Has the Buccaneers offense playing well this year.

Not a sexy name, but can create an offense that is built around Aaron Rodgers physical talents, and paired with a solid defensive coordinator could give the Packers what they need.

That was me and I really like Monken as a darkhorse candidate. Lead some prolific offenses at OK St, turned around a program and has the Buccaneers offense towards the top of the league. 

Koetter took away playcalling from him for one week (@ CIN) and they got shut out. 

19 hours ago, incognito_man said:

It absolutely makes sense to compare them though. Who is getting more out of their players?

With that question answered, we can then ask: who, then, might have been more responsible for the success in Philly?

Looks like the Colts got the right guy to me...

Without question the Colts got the right coach, they were lucky to get McDaniels-ed.  DeFilippo was never in the running.  I don't see Reich's success in Indy having anything to do with DeFilippo's potential as a HC.  It's an avenue to find something wrong with a coach that people are reaching to find issues with. 

I don't care who was "more" responsible for the success in Philly.  I think that's an unrealistic conversation as there is no way to prove it one way or the other.  In Green Bay was Egnar Bennett more responsible for Aaron Rodgers success last year than AVP?  Hard to ignore the success of both Carson Wentz and Nick Foles last year.  Both had their play fall off a cliff after the departure of both DeFilippo and Reich.  Who's more responsible for that success, only the QBs know.  If he interviews well it would be ignorant t pass on a coach because of that question. 

I've got one request.  If he is hired, can we petition for him to change his last name?  I've already got major issues spelling your basic words, it's a PIA to keep referencing his last name because I can't spell or say it.  xD

30 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

That was me and I really like Monken as a darkhorse candidate. Lead some prolific offenses at OK St, turned around a program and has the Buccaneers offense towards the top of the league. 

Koetter took away playcalling from him for one week (@ CIN) and they got shut out. 

One of the things that intrigues me about him is he spent 3 years as WR coach for the Jaguars from 2007 to 2009 before becoming OC at OK St.  

In Jacksonville, he took a 3rd round relatively no name pick and turned him into a 60 ish catch, 890ish yd receiver in year 3, and coached Justin Blackmon in college.

Right now, we need to develop receiver talent.  Our QB may need to get back to basics, but he knows enough to improve his play if he wants to.  Developing some WR's would greatly benefit this offense.

2 hours ago, Green19 said:

He is a dark horse name... but what are people’s thoughts on Brian Flores? New England’s DC. His background is mainly linebackers.

Apparently he is beloved by the players and there is nothing but amazing things written about his personality, style, etc.

The thought is he could bring in Chad O’Shea, their WR coach, as OC. He is seen as next in line to McDaniels if he leaves.

What AG20.  How many Belichick assistant coaches are going to have to fail before we stop anointing every single one of them as a great hire?  The group of coaches has a 41% NFL winning percentage.  They've got 6 winning seasons in 19 seasons (7 different stints as HC) with one of those coaches having 4 of them (Obrien has three 9 win seasons and this year).  That is an abysmal coaching tree and it doesn't even include Charlie Weis who was the first genius assistant that ended up going to the college ranks  where he was an epic failure. 

In a moment of masochism I clicked on a clip of Cowherd's opinion of who should replace McCarthy and it boiled down to not Joe Philbin.  Really Colin?  McDaniels or Harbaugh may be a better possibility?  Gee, I wonder if the Packers ever thought of that?  The 4 minute take could have been condensed down to 2 if he didn't take time to badmouth Green Bay. 

Dude is the master of taking the obvious take and making it seem like no one agrees with him.  Cowherd as a weatherman: "It's going to rain tomorrow.  I know most of you don't like rain. It ruin's your picnic plans, and you just washed your car, but rain is essential.  Plants need it to grow.  Farmers need it for crops.  It's going to be uncomfortable for you, but you're going to have to get over it.  You need rain."

2 minutes ago, RedRaider said:

In a moment of masochism I clicked on a clip of Cowherd's opinion of who should replace McCarthy and it boiled down to not Joe Philbin.  Really Colin?  McDaniels or Harbaugh may be a better possibility?  Gee, I wonder if the Packers ever thought of that?  The 4 minute take could have been condensed down to 2 if he didn't take time to badmouth Green Bay. 

Dude is the master of taking the obvious take and making it seem like no one agrees with him.  Cowherd as a weatherman: "It's going to rain tomorrow.  I know most of you don't like rain. It ruin's your picnic plans, and you just washed your car, but rain is essential.  Plants need it to grow.  Farmers need it for crops.  It's going to be uncomfortable for you, but you're going to have to get over it.  You need rain."

Can't stand that guy.  So glad he's no longer on ESPN, which my radio rarely leaves. 

Archived