16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

As someone not from the midwest who doesn't watch a lot of college football, can someone tell me why Fitzgerald is even in the running? Other than the fact that Murphy knows him and he's somewhat local. He's not an offensive guy, he has no NFL experience whatsoever, and his coaching record isn't even all that good... what am I missing?

6 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

As someone not from the midwest who doesn't watch a lot of college football, can someone tell me why Fitzgerald is even in the running? Other than the fact that Murphy knows him and he's somewhat local. He's not an offensive guy, he has no NFL experience whatsoever, and his coaching record isn't even all that good... what am I missing?

You answered your own question. Nepotism doesn't just run through the NFL, it gallops.

29 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

His coaching record is really good though when considering where he's coached his entire coaching career.  It's unbelievable actually.  Before Fitzgerald took over, Northwestern hadn't won a bowl game since 1948.  In his 13 years at Northwestern he has twice as many 7 win seasons as they'd had in the previous 50 years.  In the late 70's, early 80's this was a team that once won 3 games in span of 6 seasons.  Northwestern was the door mat of the B1G before Fitz and they are anything but that right now.  He's already in the College Hall of Fame for his playing career but his coaching career is worthy of it as well.   

58 minutes ago, SSG said:

His coaching record is really good though when considering where he's coached his entire coaching career.  It's unbelievable actually.  Before Fitzgerald took over, Northwestern hadn't won a bowl game since 1948.  In his 13 years at Northwestern he has twice as many 7 win seasons as they'd had in the previous 50 years.  In the late 70's, early 80's this was a team that once won 3 games in span of 6 seasons.  Northwestern was the door mat of the B1G before Fitz and they are anything but that right now.  He's already in the College Hall of Fame for his playing career but his coaching career is worthy of it as well.   

Thanks for the context, SSG. What do you think he would bring to the Packers as head coach?

1 hour ago, Lodestar said:

He's beating more accomplished Big 10 schools with 2-3 star recruits. That's where the acclaim is coming from. 

9 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Sure, Rodgers had a hand in it, but Murphy and Gute also couldn't wait to get Mac out of there.  As Murphy said .. Mac's time had run its course.

Ppl want to turn everything into a conspiracy theory.  Even the MM apologists knew he was done after the Arizona loss. There isn’t a smoking gun; there’s an entire regiment strapped to the teeth. 

So after long consideration and debate on who I want to be the next Head Coach of the Green Bay Packers, I've narrowed my list down to 3 and I'm fully prepared to be disappointed with this short list. For me? It's P. Fitzgerald, L. Riley, J. Harbaugh or bust. I was on board with Josh McDaniels for a little while due to the offensive system and the challenge that he would bring to GB but when you factor in Character he just isn't for a lack of better words "Packer people." 

I'm very well aware that both Fitzgerald and Riley will be tough to pull away from their perspective programs and that Harbaugh would need to be fired in order to head to Green Bay but this is my short list and I'm fully prepared to be disappointed come to the Head Coach announcement lol.

19 hours ago, Howler said:

He's beating more accomplished Big 10 schools with 2-3 star recruits. That's where the acclaim is coming from. 

However, will the pro players listen to him or buy in?  I have concerns about that, no NFL experience and really no college wow factor.  (Rose Bowls or Big Ten Championships)  He might be just fine, but, I have my concerns if he is the pick.

52 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

So after long consideration and debate on who I want to be the next Head Coach of the Green Bay Packers, I've narrowed my list down to 3 and I'm fully prepared to be disappointed with this short list. For me? It's P. Fitzgerald, L. Riley, J. Harbaugh or bust. I was on board with Josh McDaniels for a little while due to the offensive system and the challenge that he would bring to GB but when you factor in Character he just isn't for a lack of better words "Packer people." 

I'm very well aware that both Fitzgerald and Riley will be tough to pull away from their perspective programs and that Harbaugh would need to be fired in order to head to Green Bay but this is my short list and I'm fully prepared to be disappointed come to the Head Coach announcement lol.

Might as well put David Shaw on that list. He will be hard to pull away too.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:05 PM, Shanedorf said:

Perhaps they have their guy identified and thus no reason to make that significant investment
The Packers also have an entire HR department and a fully staffed Security department to handle background checks. 
They also have a 6 member Executive committee and 42 members on the Board of Directors, all with ties to major corporations like Kohler.

Perhaps they want to keep this in-house. Lots of reasons to go away from the search firms - many of whom have different goals than the Packers do.

Winner.  They have plenty of corporate resources. This needs to be a football decision, by football people in football business.

Coaching is about instincts and leadership.  Like you said and I believe also, they have already identified their guy. Probably already have talked to him immediately after releasing MM.

23 hours ago, Lodestar said:

he shouldn't be, but he's a feel good story for many. 

11 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

"Packer people." 

You should know that winning cures everything. If he's taking this team to NFC championships and Super bowls at the same rate as the Patriots he's " Packer People".  If he wins no one would give two ***** about his attitude and character. McDaniels is my top choice because of his plug and play system. This system has produced backup QB's who were flipped for good draft picks over the years because it makes average QB's look good. I could imagine how great Aaron would look in that system.

I'm afraid of college candidates because of Chip Kelly. Wouldn't mind Jim Harbaugh but I know that wouldn't work because he's about playing smash mouth football. He loves big physical O-linemen and running the ball down opponents throat's and we love the undersized athletic O-linemen built to pass block and a QB who loves to throw it. Those two wouldn't get along believe me, very bad mix.

5 minutes ago, St Vince said:

You should know that winning cures everything. If he's taking this team to NFC championships and Super bowls at the same rate as the Patriots he's " Packer People".  If he wins no one would give two ***** about his attitude and character. McDaniels is my top choice because of his plug and play system. This system has produced backup QB's who were flipped for good draft picks over the years because it makes average QB's look good. I could imagine how great Aaron would look in that system.

I'm afraid of college candidates because of Chip Kelly. Wouldn't mind Jim Harbaugh but I know that wouldn't work because he's about playing smash mouth football. He loves big physical O-linemen and running the ball down opponents throat's and we love the undersized athletic O-linemen built to pass block and a QB who loves to throw it. Those two wouldn't get along believe me, very bad mix.

Good thing I was referring to John then eh? lol.

Archived