16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

18 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Winner.  They have plenty of corporate resources. This needs to be a football decision, by football people in football business.

Coaching is about instincts and leadership.  Like you said and I believe also, they have already identified their guy. Probably already have talked to him immediately after releasing MM.

The requirements for head coaches are a bit different from those of most other coaches. Leadership is important at all levels of coaching, but none more so than when you are the face of the franchise. Instincts are up there in importance if you are a playcaller, not quite as much if you are not. I'd replace instincts with Management skills, which ARE key (especially for a HC). This has got me thinking more broadly about coaching skills, which has moved me to give my four key skills for coaches in general (which apply less to a HC).

McCarthy has stated that the most important trait a coach must have, is being a good teacher. That is THE factor that turns green rookies into savvy seasoned vets. Being an ace communicator is a key skill, and ties into several other requirements for a good coach.

The second key asset (also tied to teaching) is getting the most out of players, which requires inspiring an emotional element (toward himself), in players. Fear can work, so can love (well, like is more accurate), respect for ones intellect, passion, pride,  ideally more than one of these elements are in play. Players play harder for coaches that inspire a strong emotional connection, which (perhaps even more importantly) affects how the player views himself.

The third key asset (again tied to good teaching) may be the hardest to achieve. It is creating an environment where there can be repetition without staleness/boredom. Vets may know the system well, but coaches have to find a way to emphasise fundamentals to even the best players, on an almost daily basis,  without getting 'tuned out'. That takes imagination in how to keep teaching the same thing, but with enough tweaks and variations to keep the players engaged. It is also why, after a long run, many coaches eventually lack the constant variety to avoid being tuned out by players. 

A good coach should also have a deeper understanding of the position he teaches, than the player, or at least (with the very smartest of veteran players) be able to find ways to help the player to stay at peak performance. They should also be in tune with current trends and the evolution of the game.

So, (1) being a good teacher, (2) inspiring an emotional element in players, (3) facilitating repetition without boredom, and (4) a deep understanding of the position he teaches. These are my four key elements in making a good coach.

Although it is possible to be a good coach in  purely intellectual way, passion in the coach himself is commonly a key factor, it helps drive their work-ethic, which helps them work better and harder at their job.

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

The requirements for head coaches are a bit different from those of most other coaches. Leadership is important at all levels of coaching, but none more so than when you are the face of the franchise. Instincts are up there in importance if you are a playcaller, not quite as much if you are not. I'd replace instincts with Management skills, which ARE key (especially for a HC). This has got me thinking more broadly about coaching skills, which has moved me to give my four key skills for coaches in general (which apply less to a HC).

McCarthy has stated that the most important trait a coach must have, is being a good teacher. That is THE factor that turns green rookies into savvy seasoned vets. Being an ace communicator is a key skill, and ties into several other requirements for a good coach.

The second key asset (also tied to teaching) is getting the most out of players, which requires inspiring an emotional element (toward himself), in players. Fear can work, so can love (well, like is more accurate), respect for ones intellect, passion, pride,  ideally more than one of these elements are in play. Players play harder for coaches that inspire a strong emotional connection, which (perhaps even more importantly) affects how the player views himself.

The third key asset (again tied to good teaching) may be the hardest to achieve. It is creating an environment where there can be repetition without staleness/boredom. Vets may know the system well, but coaches have to find a way to emphasise fundamentals to even the best players, on an almost daily basis,  without getting 'tuned out'. That takes imagination in how to keep teaching the same thing, but with enough tweaks and variations to keep the players engaged. It is also why, after a long run, many coaches eventually lack the constant variety to avoid being tuned out by players. 

A good coach should also have a deeper understanding of the position he teaches, than the player, or at least (with the very smartest of veteran players) be able to find ways to help the player to stay at peak performance. They should also be in tune with current trends and the evolution of the game.

So, (1) being a good teacher, (2) inspiring an emotional element in players, (3) facilitating repetition without boredom, and (4) a deep understanding of the position he teaches. These are my four key elements in making a good coach.

Although it is possible to be a good coach in  purely intellectual way, passion in the coach himself is commonly a key factor, it helps drive their work-ethic, which helps them work better and harder at their job.

Yup, passion. In education the number one thing that increases student learning is not clever pedagogy, or computer technology, or smaller class size, but rather the teacher's enthusiasm for the subject. Passion. Always passion. 

If you bring in a young coach or a college coach Rodgers likely won't respect him.  If that happens it will be interesting. 

If you bring in an old coach you are just moving chairs around for most of them. Maybe with exception of Arians. He might be in retirement mode though, who knows if he has energy for this.  

Also any coach has to realize this is 2-3 year win a superbowl or will likely be your last job deal in a tough division. Which also makes Arians a good fit, because he is okay with just retiring at that point. 

A defensive head coach doesn't really make sense because then you are on OC merry go round.  If OC is good he gets next open HC job, if he is bad then that sucks.  That would also be interesting.

15 hours ago, malak1 said:
15 hours ago, St Vince said:

Josh McDaniels or Frank Reich. Make it happen Gute!

How, though?

What sucks is that McDaniels is directly responsible for Reich not being a HC candidate for us this year... 

Archived