16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

My two cents, after yesterdays game where special teams gifted 17 points and has been a **** storm all season I would go Dave Toub. Right pedigree, right age. Fixes a massive problem area for us as well.  I would like him to bring Kafka as OC. Young, helped massively develop Mahomes, I think he would bounce well with Rodgers in that he becomes a 'mate' who thinks 'new' and 'exciting.'

The defence coordinator role is less obvious to fill for me. Guys Toub has coached with who could do it are Lovie Smith, Romeo Crennel and Rod Marinelli, trouble is they are all pretty much entrenched where they are. Another name Steve Wilks current Arizona head coach could be fired soon and could be a candidate.   Or Pettine could be retained, I like him, whether Toub has a connection is something I couldn't find out.

I really don't want an offensive guru HC. I want a HC that will run the club not call the plays. I almost want a passive/mate type OC to deal with Rodgers at this stage of his career not someone he is going to butt heads with. I want someone with proper NFL experience not a College coach who has to spend time getting used to the nuances of coaching in the NFL and building the right network to call upon.

7 hours ago, jleisher said:

I agree.  If Gase is let go, Toub and Gase worked together in Chicago, win, win?

Thats wrong, they never worked together.

Toub left Chicago in 2012. Gase was in Chicago for only one year in 2015.

Warming up to Gase as well.  Toub coming in as an assistant wouldn't be the worst situation.  All told, the new Packer's head coach has to put together  a  top notch coaching staff.  Yesterdays special teams play was hard to stomach ... absolutely horrendous.     

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

Warming up to Gase as well.  Toub coming in as an assistant wouldn't be the worst situation.  All told, the new Packer's head coach has to put together  a  top notch coaching staff.  Yesterdays special teams play was hard to stomach ... absolutely horrendous.     

Why the heck would Toub leave his job only to be an assistant with us. That makes zero sense. He will only leave for a head coaching gig.

7 minutes ago, Chili said:

Why the heck would Toub leave his job only to be an assistant with us. That makes zero sense. He will only leave for a head coaching gig.

He wouldn't ... didn't state my thoughts quite right.  You seem to be a little on edge this morning; bad nights sleep?  

19 hours ago, Chili said:

Its not dragging out. It havent even started. The head coach search wont properly start until black monday.

It has been a tad surprising we haven't talked to any collegiate candidates yet as far as we know...

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

I see a few of you are warming up to Gase.  What does he bring to the table that has your interest?  

I go back to his time in Chicago when he made Cutler look pretty darned good.

I think he's got a very good offensive mind, and he has experience as a head coach.  He's achieved good success as a coordinator....and he's had his ups and downs as a head coach.

Miami wise...it kind of seems to me like that place is where football goes to die.  As in, it may be too nice to really win there.  Just my gut reaction as there is not a lot of success in Miami and I'm unsure why.

On that same train of thought...it seems like the Miami fans want Gase gone and they like to say that he is a poor play caller.  That being said, he's making due with Tannehill...and winning some games.  I wonder what he could do with Rodgers.

I think there was a lot of shine on Gase when he took the Miami job...some of that shine is gone.  But...to me he's similar to McDaniels in that he seems to reach quarterbacks, only you don't get the character issues.

If he is available, he immediately jumps to the top of the coaching list for me.  

34 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Miami wise...it kind of seems to me like that place is where football goes to die.  As in, it may be too nice to really win there.  Just my gut reaction as there is not a lot of success in Miami and I'm unsure why.

I'll give you a hint, his name rhymes with Bryan Rannehill.  In three seasons with the Dolphins, Gase's record is 23-24 but you probably couldn't name even half their starting roster.

https://www.miamidolphins.com/team/depth-chart

Looking at their depth chart, how many Dolphins' players would start for the Packers?  On offense, a healthy Kenny Stills is probably a starting WR for the Packers, but beyond that I'm not sure I'm taking a Dolphins' starter over a Packer.  Defensively, they've got a few more players that you like including Robert Quinn, Cameron Wake, etc.

Yeah, Adam Gase has polished some absolute turds at QB, but he has also elevated Hall of Fame quarterbacks.  Peyton Manning had Marvin Harrison/Edgerin James/Reggie Wayne/Dallas Clark all those years in Indy, and then he went and had the best year of his career under Gase. 

Adam Gase is that hot shot young offensive coordinator that now has head coaching experience. 

As devoid of talent we think we are, look at the Dolphins roster and the job he's done with it. 

Also, Gase runs a 4-3 defense in Miami.  I want to move back to a 4-3.  I almost made a thread about this, and if the conversation takes off, Ray or CWood can make a new thread for it. 

We switched to a 3-4 defense over 10 years ago.  Ten years ago, teams were playing 3-4 defenses because Tweeners slipped in the draft and the value was there for 3-4 teams to pick those players. 

Now?  That has flipped.  If not flipped, there is no distinct advantage. 

14 teams run straight 3-4 defenses.  4 more teams run multiple formation defenses. 

I prefer the 4-3 more because it's less about disguises and more about coaching your players to beat the man in front of them.  I think all of our linebackers are better-suited for a 4-3 than a 3-4. 

Archived