When is a good time to go for 2 late in a game?

CKS97

2 weeks ago, Carolina- down 7 late- scored a TD and went for 2 rather than the tie at Detroit and Ron Rivera was criticized.

Today, Chicago- down 7 late- scored a TD with no time left and didn't go for a potential walk-off win.

I think CHI should have gone for it, but how do we know when is a good time to go for 2 with time out?

I thought Green Bay after the Jeff Janis Hail Marys vs. Arizona should have gone for the win right then and there.

Vikings did it against the Saints in '02.

I agree Bears should have went for it today at the end of regulation.  You just never know with OT.  With a 2 point conversion there at least you have a true 50/50 chance of winning the game instead of relying on the coin toss and potentially losing on a TD play.

11 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I agree Bears should have went for it today at the end of regulation.  You just never know with OT.  With a 2 point conversion there at least you have a true 50/50 chance of winning the game instead of relying on the coin toss and potentially losing on a TD play.

Exactly. IMO if you’re in a situation where you win with the 2PT, I’m going for it every time. 

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

I wonder why Teams don’t do what the Chargers did on TNF more often.

A lot of coaches coach not to lose. I think certain teams should go for two, especially those with mobile QBs and good receiving backs/tight ends. I don't like a strong running team taking their chances with just a standard running play, the defense will be ready. I don't like a standard passing play, don't want to have to throw to a covered receiver, too much can go wrong. I want to get my mobile QB out of the pocket and run it in if it is there, if not hit a released back or tight end who is uncovered because a defender went after the QB.

13 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

I wonder why Teams don’t do what the Chargers did on TNF more often.

That situation was the definition of the perfect time to call for 2. Chargers got hot and the Chiefs have had ridiculous luck on coin tosses. Why risk trying to stop Patrick Mahomes from a go ahead touchdown drive?

Archived