Tank or Try and Win Out (4-7-1 Edition)

AlexGreen#20

Which One?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Try and win the rest of the games/Try and lose the rest of the games

My opinion is the same .. tank.  It was obvious that we had a poor team and were not a serious threat to make the playoffs.  We should get busy losing so we can land the best player available in the draft.  That is one way to really jump start and organization that needs difference makers.

I don't think they will tank.  I just don't think they are good enough to win.

What I want to see is very simple.  Effort and "being in the game".  Mentally.

I don't want to see laughing and smiling on the sidelines.  I want to see some passion, some fire.  Remember when Jones-Drew wanted in to pass protected and "put that mereffer on his a$$"?  That was to Shawne Merriman.  MJD went in there and lit him up on a pass play.  I want to see some kind of fire like that.

Guys should understand that not only is their position coach auditioning for a job next year, many of them are as well.  

I had about 0 faith in our ability to win enough games to get into the playoffs, much less make any sort of a run therein, but I watch when I feel that way anyway in hopes of being proven very, very wrong. That, and I believe that draft position indicates how far off you are from being #1 and that's a trade-off I make easily.

Well, this season is lost, we're not making the playoffs, nor anywhere near competitive enough with playoff-bound teams... so bottom-10 is where we belong. We are also more than 1 offseason away from being more than just pretenders. This team truly, legitimately needs the talent of a Top-10 draft pick on its roster, and all the relative value that comes with picking high.

I want to see some of our individual young players get more playing time and show well with it.

But no, I do not want the team to win games and get slotted higher as a result.

24 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

I had about 0 faith in our ability to win enough games to get into the playoffs, much less make any sort of a run therein, but I watch when I feel that way anyway in hopes of being proven very, very wrong. That, and I believe that draft position indicates how far off you are from being #1 and that's a trade-off I make easily.

Well, this season is lost, we're not making the playoffs, nor anywhere near competitive enough with playoff-bound teams... so bottom-10 is where we belong. We are also more than 1 offseason away from being more than just pretenders. This team truly, legitimately needs the talent of a Top-10 draft pick on its roster, and all the relative value that comes with picking high.

I want to see some of our individual young players get more playing time and show well with it.

But no, I do not want the team to win games and get slotted higher as a result.

That does not take into account the jump that can happen when a new coach comes in AND has the support of the players. Suddenly the team looks much better, penalties go down, touchdowns go up, players play harder/smarter. One offseason might be all the Packers need. It might take longer, it might not even be with the next coach, but the Packers are not without talent.

As for tanking, that should not be down to the players. It's their job to go out there and compete, not to be thinking about where the draft pick is. I say to them "do your best and let the chips fall where they may".

Team should play to win... I would offer the coaches bonuses if they “didn’t put them in the best spots to win” though.

Fact is all these coaches are likely gone, maybe Joe Whitt survives... but giving them a bonus by doing the future a solid.

The ideal is your team isn’t normally in these positions, when they are you want to capitalize. The higher the draft pick the better. Not just in the first... but the second and third as well.

8 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Team should play to win... I would offer the coaches bonuses if they “didn’t put them in the best spots to win” though.

Fact is all these coaches are likely gone, maybe Joe Whitt survives... but giving them a bonus by doing the future a solid.

The ideal is your team isn’t normally in these positions, when they are you want to capitalize. The higher the draft pick the better. Not just in the first... but the second and third as well.

I think they should sit anyone that is remotely injured.  I'm not sure I'd risk Bakhtiari playing any further with his assortment of injuries, and if you're not going to play him do you play Aaron Rodgers?  He's already playing behind a banged up line.  One sure way to make your head coaching job less attractive would be a potentially major injury to Aaron Rodgers.  I guess you either have to be all in or all out.  What a debacle it would be in Rodgers went down to serious injury.  Is it worth it?  I dunno.

Archived