Tank or Try and Win Out (4-7-1 Edition)

AlexGreen#20

Which One?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Try and win the rest of the games/Try and lose the rest of the games

I originally had them finishing around 7-8-1 or 8-7-1 but with them somehow losing to the Cardinals, 5-10-1 or 6-9-1 seems much more likely. I don't see them losing out, though at this point I'm not against it. The only real prize the remainder of this season is draft positioning AND no significant injuries. Actually, this is probably the time for them to shut down some of their guys who are battling through injuries like Bak for instance. Guy is gutting it out through whatever knee injury he has and it would be crushing to see him end up making things worse by playing through what is essentially 4 meaningless games. As I said before, the last thing we want is for this lost season to start affecting their 2019 season by having guys go down in the last month to significant injuries

I put guys on IR that maybe should have been and still try to win with what we have. But any player that is at risk for making any injury worse I protect them. I also drop Kenny Clarks numbers substantially he's getting run into the ground which is not fair to him long term. The kid needs some snaps off. See what some other guys have. AR plays if he's ok and see if Philbin can get him moving the chains a bit.

19 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think they should sit anyone that is remotely injured.  I'm not sure I'd risk Bakhtiari playing any further with his assortment of injuries, and if you're not going to play him do you play Aaron Rodgers?  He's already playing behind a banged up line.  One sure way to make your head coaching job less attractive would be a potentially major injury to Aaron Rodgers.  I guess you either have to be all in or all out.  What a debacle it would be in Rodgers went down to serious injury.  Is it worth it?  I dunno.

I agree with the injury part. If a guy isn’t healthy don’t play him... it’s not worth it. But you can’t justify sitting Rodgers if healthy. Rodgers played his hand... let’s not act like this is all McCarthy’s fault. There are 2 people in that relationship and Rodgers didn’t help things.

Given the money, etc the Packers are going to pick Rodgers, but more than ever he needs to proves something. And sitting is going to help that. He needs to show he can complete short passes and work within an offense, with young guys, etc.

He got rid of his scapegoat, it’s on him now.

Team should play to win, but with the Cardinals loss and McCarthy gone, I don't really care anymore. 

I'm curious what @Outpost31's thoughts are? I agree with you on the winners win and losers lose, and the team should always try to win. But what are your thoughts as a fan now? Has anything changed?

I'm all for the higher draft pick, but I can't stand the idea of tanking on purpose, ever. That's not to say that they won't tank because they can't help but suck. 

Sidenote, if Rodgers comes out and suddenly lights it up for the next 4 weeks, I'm going to be pissed.  I find it hard to believe this team is any better with Philbin at the helm, and if they suddenly are I'll be chalking it up to Rodgers actually trying now more than Philbin having anything to do with it.

You can still try to win while making smart decisions geared towards protecting the best interest of your team. Do I think Aaron Rodgers should play against the Bears at Soldier Field? Not a chance in hell. Would I severely limit reps for Davante Adams, Aaron Jones, Bakh, Clark, etc? Yes. Would I shut down Kevin King and most of the other injured players? Yes. 

We do these things and we won't have to worry about "trying" vs. "tanking." At best, we likely go 1-3 on the way out.

Just now, JBURGE said:

Team should play to win, but with the Cardinals loss and McCarthy gone, I don't really care anymore. 

I'm curious what @Outpost31's thoughts are? I agree with you on the winners win and losers lose, and the team should always try to win. But what are your thoughts as a fan now? Has anything changed?

Nope, still want to win.  We're not mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, so I still want us to win each game.

Can't gain much confidence from losing, so if we win four more games, it kills our draft slot but gives Jaire, MVS, ESB that confidence and our team that confidence that they are good, but our coach was bad, I think that's worth more next year than 5-8 draft pick slots. 

I won't be upset with losses anymore the rest of the way because of the positives losses bring at this point, but I'd rather win. 

Right now, I think we own the 10th pick. We could do better. Let the youngsters get reps, and evaluate them before the Draft. Rest the Vets.   If we were to stumble into the playoffs' we would not go far, especially as a road team. 

Just now, SAM said:

Right now, I think we own the 10th pick. We could do better. Let the youngsters get reps, and evaluate them before the Draft. Rest the Vets.   If we were to stumble into the playoffs' we would not go far, especially as a road team. 

We've got Joe Philbin now.  We will strike fear into the hearts of lesser coaches.

Also, that Dan Campbell guy probably isn't going to be our head coach anymore.  Murphy is savage, but he's not savage enough to have a tight ends coach replace Philbin twice. 

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:42 PM, skibrett15 said:

please IR rodgers

Not sure about that but I would play Kizer.

We traded for him so we need to give him some chance to develop with game time. If you play Rodgers there is a chance of injury (and not an insignificant chance given he is still carrying a knee injury) and gain nothing.

I don't give a crap about Rodgers ego or his stats or anything like that. We paid him a stupid amount of money to play crap now give Kizer a go.

I voted to tank although I would go down down the route of resting anyone carrying any injuries and try and coach the remaining players to win the game and see if we can find someone. If someone like Donnerson or Moore or Tonyan emerges we might get something useful out of the games as well as boosting the draft pick. 

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:36 PM, Outpost31 said:

Nope, still want to win.  We're not mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, so I still want us to win each game.

Can't gain much confidence from losing, so if we win four more games, it kills our draft slot but gives Jaire, MVS, ESB that confidence and our team that confidence that they are good, but our coach was bad, I think that's worth more next year than 5-8 draft pick slots. 

I won't be upset with losses anymore the rest of the way because of the positives losses bring at this point, but I'd rather win. 

If we give the young guys a go and players like Kizer, MVS , ESB maybe even Moore and Tonyan lead us to a few wins then I'll genuinely be happy. But like you say, wont exactly be in tears if we lose.

Just now, mikemike778 said:

If we give the young guys a go and players like Kizer, MVS , ESB maybe even Moore and Tonyan lead us to a few wins then I'll genuinely be happy. But like you say, wont exactly be in tears if we lose.

You gotta stop with Tonyan.  Everybody does.  Tonyan is Colt Lyerlia or however you spelled his name and every other tight end that we had wild hopes for.  He's nothing, he won't be anything. 

On 12/3/2018 at 10:36 AM, Outpost31 said:

I agree.   Winning is contagious. So is losing. Who does everyone think wants to look like a loser these next weeks? Most everyone who is left has their job on the line as well.

As you said if they do lose with proper effort, so be it, it doesn't hurt.

Archived