Week 14: VIKINGS (6-5-1) at Seahawks (7-5)

swede700

2 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Man anybody else look back on some of our past O-lines? Like our 00’s line: McKinnie, Hutch, Birk, and Loadholt. Shivers down my spine.

How did we get to the point of prioritizing our line so little this decade?

90s OL was better. Steussie, McDaniel, Christy, Dixon, Stringer.

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

Bryant was bad and was a 1st round pick. Hutch we traded for, Birk was a late round pick.  loadholt was the same round O’Neil was. 

We prioritzed about as much as then, but they haven’t worked out as well. They also aren’t as aged and vetranized as some of those guys when they were together

Wasn't Hutch signed with the "poison pill", no trade. 

Bryant was bad and was a 1st round pick. Hutch we traded for, Birk was a late round pick.  loadholt was the same round O’Neil was. 

We prioritzed about as much as then, but they haven’t worked out as well. They also aren’t as aged and vetranized as some of those guys when they were together

Hutch’s poison pill and drafting McKinnie in the first are alone more commitment to the line than everything we’ve thrown at our current line.

And McKinnie has some poor stretches, but he was overall pretty good. At least relative to any other LT we’ve had since the 90’s. Definitely not a bad 3rd/4th best lineman to have.

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Hutch was signed as a free agent. I’m not sure McKinnie was a bad either, wasn’t a great one, but he started for a long time.

Huh? It’s better Og FA in a couple years.... will we find an all pro, probably not, but there is decent talent upgrades over Remmers and Compton 

I don't see a Zeitler or Osemele available. I'd rather not spend top dollar for a decent upgrade, that seems to be how things go.

Get me a TE who can get downfield and use other FA dollars on keeping the defense together.  Harris, Richardson and Barr are all important players, at best maybe two return?

2 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Hutch’s poison pill and drafting McKinnie in the first are alone more commitment to the line than everything we’ve thrown at our current line.

And McKinnie has some poor stretches, but he was overall pretty good. At least relative to any other LT we’ve had since the 90’s. Definitely not a bad 3rd/4th best lineman to have.

Kalil was a top 5 pick. He was supposed to become that 10 year anchor. That's an equal investment to McKinnie.

Reiff and Hutch were also equal FA investments though it's hard to compare contracts and we might have to look at a % of total cap to see which investment was bigger.

Weve also got 2nd and 3rd round picks starting.

I don't think it's a lack of investment that's the issue. 

Mike PereiraVerified account @MikePereira
FollowFollow @MikePereira
More

Lots of talk about the Wagner block. The wording in the rule book is NEW this year and is clear. The new wording states, "May not place a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent in an attempt to jump through a gap to block an opponent's kick or apparent kick." Case closed. Foul.

Cool

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Kalil was a top 5 pick. He was supposed to become that 10 year anchor. That's an equal investment to McKinnie.

Reiff and Hutch were also equal FA investments though it's hard to compare contracts and we might have to look at a % of total cap to see which investment was bigger.

Weve also got 2nd and 3rd round picks starting.

I don't think it's a lack of investment that's the issue. 

Maybe less than I’m making it out to be, but I still don’t think it’s enough. If we have to go back to 2012 to say we’ve drafted a round 1 lineman... even after how bad it’s been the past 4-5 years... I just don’t think that’s good enough.

Edit: just for the fun of it... who is our second most recent OL 1st rounder (outside of Matt)? Is it really McKinnie in the early 00’s?

22 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Remmers dropped, Sendejo gone, Barr/Richardson gone.... there’s money for a F/A guard

Agreed on Remmers and Dejo. Rudy can/should restructure. Some $$$ to resign 1 of Barr/Richardson. 

Also need decision on Waynes’ 5th. Going to be an interesting off season...

Archived