Week 14: VIKINGS (6-5-1) at Seahawks (7-5)

swede700

1 minute ago, Duluther said:

Maybe less than I’m making it out to be, but I still don’t think it’s enough. If we have to go back to 2012 to say we’ve drafted a round 1 lineman... even after how bad it’s been the past 4-5 years... I just don’t think that’s good enough.

The lack of first round picks is a good point. Though the defense wouldn't be where it is today without the decision to invest heavily in it. We also burned two first round picks on WRs (Treadwell and Patterson) and two QBs (Teddy and Bradford) that really didn't help the team long term. Four misses in that stretch to go with Kalil certainly highlights how the OL got to where it is now.

7 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Maybe less than I’m making it out to be, but I still don’t think it’s enough. If we have to go back to 2012 to say we’ve drafted a round 1 lineman... even after how bad it’s been the past 4-5 years... I just don’t think that’s good enough.

Edit: just for the fun of it... who is our second most recent OL 1st rounder (outside of Matt)? Is it really McKinnie in the early 00’s?

It is McKinnie in 02 and Stringer in 95 with Steussie in 94, McDaniel in 88. 

2 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Agreed on Remmers and Dejo. Rudy can/should restructure. Some $$$ to resign 1 of Barr/Richardson. 

Also need decision on Waynes’ 5th. Going to be an interesting off season...

Decision on Waynes should be easy. They'll keep him for his 5th year.

The biggest ticket the Vikings have to cap savings is cutting Everson Griffen. He is a sacrifice they can make if they need additional cap space for offensive linemen. Gruden is gutting the Raiders. The Vikings should seriously be looking at what they can get in a trade. I really wanted the Vikings to sign Kelechi Osemele when he was a free agent. I haven't watched the Raiders enough to know how he has been doing. I know he has had some injuries. If he still looks decent his salary is covered by Griffen's salary and he is still, today, on the right side of 30 years-old.

4 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Decision on Waynes should be easy. They'll keep him for his 5th year.

The biggest ticket the Vikings have to cap savings is cutting Everson Griffen. He is a sacrifice they can make if they need additional cap space for offensive linemen. Gruden is gutting the Raiders. The Vikings should seriously be looking at what they can get in a trade. I really wanted the Vikings to sign Kelechi Osemele when he was a free agent. I haven't watched the Raiders enough to know how he has been doing. I know he has had some injuries. If he still looks decent his salary is covered by Griffen's salary and he is still, today, on the right side of 30 years-old.

I think the Vikes would be smart to rework Griffen's contract. I don't think cutting him is the right move.

Remmers, Rudolph and Sendejo should all be cut and I don't think any of them will be missed. That should open up enough room to add one starter plus Anthony Harris, assuming one of Barr or Richardson walks.

12 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think the Vikes would be smart to rework Griffen's contract. I don't think cutting him is the right move.

Remmers, Rudolph and Sendejo should all be cut and I don't think any of them will be missed. That should open up enough room to add one starter plus Anthony Harris, assuming one of Barr or Richardson walks.

Let Barr walk. Have to keep Richardson. Dude is playing lights out

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Depends on what he Griffen would be willing to accept and whether there is a guard like Osemele (if healthy and expected to play up to previous years level) that would be available. This doesn't mean that they'll cut him, but he is easily the biggest potential cap savings move the team can make.

Likewise, I would rather the team get Rudolph to take a pay cut than cut him. He is a useful piece to have around too. 

In the end, I'll wait until after the season to really think too hard about it.

Fully. Guaranteed.

Mediocrity for $84 million. Mediocre may be generous. 

QB should be at, or near the top, of our draft priorities. 

And for those talking about reworking Griffen's contract, or anyone's contract, you know what would have made that not necessary? Not giving 84 million guaranteed to a mediocre quarterback. 

8 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

Hutch was signed as a free agent. I’m not sure McKinnie was a bad either, wasn’t a great one, but he started for a long time.

I was anti-McKinnie practically his whole career.  Off the field he was a disgrace, and on the field, he wasn't much better.  Yet, on our present offensive line, he would be the best lineman by far!  Can't believe I'm saying this, but our offensive line makes me miss Bryant McKinnie!!

9 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

This maybe an overreaction, but Speilman needs to answer for the trade for Bradford and giving Cousins the ridiculous contract. The dude can't win when the chips are down.

That is an overreaction.  Despite being as disappointed as I am at the offensive performance last night, Spielman can't be blamed for doing what he did in signing Cousins.  Cousins was widely considered the best option at the time.  I was always cautious about the expectations of Cousins (since he hadn't really impressed me in his performances against the Vikings) and we were warned about his tendencies to be inconsistent.  So, we should be able to take the bad along with the good (as he has been in several games as well).  And last night was one of those nights (as was last week) that he was pretty bad.  It would be nice to see someone...anyone...else be able to pick up the slack offensively in that situation, but it didn't happen.  It was one of those nights where you wish you had Adrian in his prime back.  

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

That is an overreaction.  Despite being as disappointed as I am at the offensive performance last night, Spielman can't be blamed for doing what he did in signing Cousins.  Cousins was widely considered the best option at the time.  I was always cautious about the expectations of Cousins (since he hadn't really impressed me in his performances against the Vikings) and we were warned about his tendencies to be inconsistent.  So, we should be able to take the bad along with the good (as he has been in several games as well).  And last night was one of those nights (as was last week) that he was pretty bad.  It would be nice to see someone...anyone...else be able to pick up the slack offensively in that situation, but it hasn't happened.  It was one of those nights where you wish you had Adrian in his prime back.  

You don't pay 84m for inconsistency or the best you're gonna get.  A bad contract has put us in a bad spot.

The Vikings always find a way to be the yard stick for what not to do in the NFL. Truly remarkable

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That is an overreaction.  Despite being as disappointed as I am at the offensive performance last night, Spielman can't be blamed for doing what he did in signing Cousins.  Cousins was widely considered the best option at the time.  I was always cautious about the expectations of Cousins (since he hadn't really impressed me in his performances against the Vikings) and we were warned about his tendencies to be inconsistent.  So, we should be able to take the bad along with the good (as he has been in several games as well).  And last night was one of those nights (as was last week) that he was pretty bad.  It would be nice to see someone...anyone...else be able to pick up the slack offensively in that situation, but it didn't happen.  It was one of those nights where you wish you had Adrian in his prime back.  

I think the lesson learned here is to avoid paying QBs unless they have a proven track record at winning in big moments. There are too many middling QBs making top dollar because it's so easy to throw for 4,000 yards and put up attractive stats in today's NFL. I think Spielman got duped but I still think the Bradford decision was worse.

Turns out that Keenum may have been our best option from a value standpoint.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

I think the lesson learned here is to avoid paying QBs unless they have a proven track record at winning in big moments. There are too many middling QBs making top dollar because it's so easy to throw for 4,000 yards and put up attractive stats. I think Spielman got duped but I still think the Bradford decision was worst.

Turns out that Keenum may have been our best oprion from a value standpoint.

Keenum still would have been $20M+, so it's not that much of a better value.  As far as in response to @twslhs20 above, in 3 years, his contract will be a bargain...and it was the going rate at the time.  I think you're thinking way too much about the contract value.  It isn't hamstringing the team...and in fact, he's not even in the top 5 among QBs for cap hit this year.  4 of the top 5 are injured (Garappolo), on last place teams (Stafford, Carr) or warming the bench (Flacco).   

14 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think the lesson learned here is to avoid paying QBs unless they have a proven track record at winning in big moments. There are too many middling QBs making top dollar because it's so easy to throw for 4,000 yards and put up attractive stats in today's NFL. I think Spielman got duped but I still think the Bradford decision was worse.

Turns out that Keenum may have been our best option from a value standpoint.

Teddy was our best option from a value standpoint

Archived