Packer Vets - Keep or get rid of for 2019 salary cap reasons

coachbuns

All figures taken from Spotrac.  The Packers have older vets on the book who may have outlived their contracts.  We can increase our 2019 salary cap to spend on different players if some of these players are cut loose.   These figures reflect amounts the Packers GAIN in salary cap dollars if let go. Certainly there is dead cap money but again, these are gains on the 2019 cap. 

Nick Perry     3.6 million          Jimmy Graham  5.3 million      Mike Daniels    8.5 million     Brian Bulaga  6.75 million     Tramon Williams   4.75 million   Lane Taylor  2.975 million

Mason Crosby  3.6 million    Jason Spriggs  1.1 million

Total amount gained is over 36 million dollars.  Not realistic to let them all go but a couple surely could go.  Which ones would you let go?

I don't understand the hate for Crosby to be honest.  The Vikings keep cutting their kicker for bad games and they are the 32nd overall team in kicking accuracy.  People always forget you can do worse.  With Crosby, he has had bad years followed by great years. 

Who is replacing him?  I personally think he's fine going forward.  Bring in some young cheap competition yes, but don't cut him. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't understand the hate for Crosby to be honest.  The Vikings keep cutting their kicker for bad games and they are the 32nd overall team in kicking accuracy.  People always forget you can do worse.  With Crosby, he has had bad years followed by great years. 

Who is replacing him?  I personally think he's fine going forward.  Bring in some young cheap competition yes, but don't cut him. 

I don't hate him - he's a great guy and has had some great seasons but he's just not worth that contract at the moment. For 2019 as of right now he'd be the second highest paid kicker in the NFL at 35 years old, just behind Tucker. He could get over this flunk and become automatic again but I'm not sure if it's a reasonable gamble to make at 4M per. Trying to find a cheaper and younger alternative is reasonable imo.

1 minute ago, YaddaHolla said:

Perry - Gone

CM3 - Gone

Cobb - Gone

Crosby - Gone

Williams - Gone

Breeland - Keep (cheap)

Graham - Keep (he’s still got something left in the tank)

Lewis - Gone

Kendricks - Keep (depth)

I'd rather keep Lewis over Kendricks.  Is this Cobb's last year on his contract?  

I think they can get a better safety than Tramon at that savings, so he's the likley one that is gone.

I'm keeping Crosby, but watching the draft for his replacement.  Sorry, I mean competition.  That's going to be an interesting one to watch.  

Can see Bulaga being asked to restructure again.

This really all depends on who our next head coach is.  We might switch to a 4-3, which would give Perry some value. 

Anybody who suggests we cut Lane Taylor to save 3 million dollars isn't worth talking to. 

Bulaga is worth having for 6 healthy games at 6.75 million. 

Tramon has little value. 

Clay has value in a 4-3 or a 4-3 as an ILB. 

Mike Daniels is not somebody you cut, and shame on whomever suggests it. 

Jason Spriggs is finishing out his rookie contract. 

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yesterday did it for me with him. He is paid as the 2nd highest paid kicker in the league, that money is better suited for depth at other parts of the roster. 

He has directed affected the outcomes of 3 losses and a tie this year. You can't have your high priced kicker missing kicks that end up costing you 2 wins and 2 others that would've been in OT if he had done his job. 

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Not about performance itself....can you pay a kicker nearly $4 million with all the other holes we have? Not to mention one who's been very inconsistent this year. I don't see it as hate for Crosby as much as he's a cap casualty given the position he plays and the needs we have.

Just now, Packer_ESP said:

I don't hate him - he's a great guy and has had some great seasons but he's just not worth that contract at the moment. For 2019 as of right now he'd be the second highest paid kicker in the NFL at 35 years old, just behind Tucker. He could get over this flunk and become automatic again but I'm not sure if it's a reasonable gamble to make at 4M per. Trying to find a cheaper and younger alternative is reasonable imo.

Why are you concerned about 3.75 million dollars on an expiring contract when we have 40 million dollars to spend?  It's not reasonable to cut him and try to find a cheaper/younger alternative.  Half the good kickers in the NFL are older than Crosby.  Stephen Gostkowski is the same age as Crosby and Vinatieri is 11 years older. 

Age and kicker is probably the silliest argument out there. 

Cutting Crosby to find a younger, better option is like quitting your job and THEN buying a lottery ticket. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

Not about performance itself....can you pay a kicker nearly $4 million with all the other holes we have? Not to mention one who's been very inconsistent this year. I don't see it as hate for Crosby as much as he's a cap casualty given the position he plays and the needs we have.

Again, what are you concerned about 4 million dollars for when we have 40 million?  What exactly do you expect out of this season?

Everybody's acting like it's their money we're spending.  "Eff that bastard, he ain't getting another nickel from me..." 

It's just ridiculous. 

It's like people who called McCarthy fat.  A professional football kicker making 4 million dollars is somehow offensive.  Who gives a ****?  Unless you have a better option ON your roster, you don't cut some guy to save 4 million dollars if you want to win games. 

This just gets so frustrating for me.  Kicker is naturally a streaky position.  It's ridiculously absurd to point to one bad season as a future projection.  Crosby has consistently been an above average kicker with a strong leg that has consistently hit big field goals in big games. 

In 2012 he hit under 65% of his kicks.  We didn't cut him because of a temper tantrum, and he followed that up with a season in which he made 89% of his field goals including 5/7 on 50+ yard field goals with a long of 57.

Just now, vegas492 said:

Crosby.  As stated above...who cares about the money.  It is about the kicks.  He's bad this year, no doubt.  Heck, we drafted a punter AND a snapper last year.  I would actually be surprised if we didn't draft a kicker.

And if we DO draft a kicker, and if that kicker is better than Crosby, and if there's confidence he can keep that up in games and under heavy pressure, THEN you cut Crosby.

Otherwise, anybody who suggests we cut Crosby and THEN find our kicker is out of their damn mind and fueled by petulant rage. 

Archived