Packer Vets - Keep or get rid of for 2019 salary cap reasons

coachbuns

Let's look at this objectively and compare Crosby to NFL average.  Crosby will be first, and NFL average will be second.  For comparison, I want to see how the results change without the Detroit game.

XP: 93.1%/94.3%/96.4%
20-29: 100%/98.1%/100%
30-39: 90.0%/95.0%/100%
40-49%: 60.0%/75.8%/71.4%
50+: 66.6%/64.7%/80%

That game against Detroit really skewed it.

1 minute ago, jleisher said:

I would cut or release Perry, Bulaga, Crosby, Murphy and Morrison, that saves $15,365,000.  2019, Packers should be about $41,000,000.  This would give the Packers $56,365,00 in cap space.  I have them signing Landon Collins FS for $10m for 4yrs, Kenny Vaccaro  SS  for $4m for 3yrs, Shaquil Barrett Edge for $9m for 4 yrs, Chris Hogan WR  $6m for 2yrs and Malcom Brown NT for $2m for 2yrs, that totals $31,000,000.  So, that would leave the Packers some $25,365,000 in cap space for their own free agents and rookies.  Sorry, I am not Russ Ball, so my numbers might be off some.

You're short like 2 million each on all of those guys unless those are your first year cap hits and not your AAV. Collins doesn't even get franchised at 10/year. He probably gets 13 or 14. Brown probably gets between 5/6.

I'm going to be really upset if we're starting Bell and a rookie at RG and RT again next year. 

Hard to get on board with cutting Crosby at least until whatever rookie you're drafting beats him out in camp.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Let's look at this objectively and compare Crosby to NFL average.  Crosby will be first, and NFL average will be second.  For comparison, I want to see how the results change without the Detroit game.

XP: 93.1%/94.3%/96.4%
20-29: 100%/98.1%/100%
30-39: 90.0%/95.0%/100%
40-49%: 60.0%/75.8%/71.4%
50+: 66.6%/64.7%/80%

That game against Detroit really skewed it.

Even if you bring the Detroit game to just one miss from 40 yards, he's still basically the 21st best kicker in the league. I mean, it's not like he's been amazing outside of Detroit. He's been basically below average even removing that game. 

23 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Even if you bring the Detroit game to just one miss from 40 yards, he's still basically the 21st best kicker in the league. I mean, it's not like he's been amazing outside of Detroit. He's been basically below average even removing that game. 

I'd also argue that the Packers haven't done any services to Crosby by running him out there for those 40+ yards FGs.  There have been 5 kickers who have attempted 10+ FGs from 41-49 yards.  And there's been 12 kickers who have taken 5+ FGs of 50+ yards.  I'm not saying Crosby is anything special, but I'm not jumping at the opportunity to get rid of him.  Bring in some competition.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'd also argue that the Packers haven't done any services to Crosby by running him out there for those 40+ yards FGs.  There have been 5 kickers who have attempted 10+ FGs from 41-49 yards.  And there's been 12 kickers who have taken 5+ FGs of 50+ yards.  I'm not saying Crosby is anything special, but I'm not jumping at the opportunity to get rid of him.  Bring in some competition.

Which is I think where most of us are at. Thinking that Crosby is something like the 25th best kicker in the league. That puts him right in the gray area where it's a coinflip if the rookie or street free agent you bring in is going to beat him out. 

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I apologize for cherry picking your post.

GB is 5.8M or so under the cap, today.

They go into next year a shade under $42M under the cap.

$3M will not make a difference either way.  

I've never understood this facination for how much a guy makes...it's like they are cashing checks that fans are personally writing.  It's a system of rules, salary cap being a rule.  Stay under it is the rule.  GB is under it now, they will be under it next year.  $3M is really chump change in the grand scheme of the salary cap.

The question as to whether or not to move on from Crosby is not financial, it is production.

It is foolish to think you can automatically sign a kicker to the GB roster and get Crosby's historical production.  

It is foolish going into next year simply hoping for Crosby to rebound.

No one is saying he won't be cut.  Are saying GB only cuts him if they find something better, first.

3 mil for the GBP is nothing to scoff at. Our team hates dead cap and we do t have a billionaire wonder to bail out bad decisions. That money could be put into a number of other positions or an extension it all helps. 

It’s only my take but you bring in a couple guys draft and a UFA and let them all battle. If mason is performing well I still ask him for a paucity if he wants to stay. Foolish or not his kicking hasn’t been good enough. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Which is I think where most of us are at. Thinking that Crosby is something like the 25th best kicker in the league. That puts him right in the gray area where it's a coinflip if the rookie or street free agent you bring in is going to beat him out. 

Maybe I'm misreading some of the posts (and it probably could be, I'm medded up right now), but I'm hearing people demanding the Packers cut him to save the $3M and spend it elsewhere like we're going to find a clear upgrade just bagging groceries right now.  The Buccaneers took Roberto Aguayo in the 2nd round back in 2016.  They jettisoned Connor Barth because they thought they could do better.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe I'm misreading some of the posts (and it probably could be, I'm medded up right now), but I'm hearing people demanding the Packers cut him to save the $3M and spend it elsewhere like we're going to find a clear upgrade just bagging groceries right now.  The Buccaneers took Roberto Aguayo in the 2nd round back in 2016.  They jettisoned Connor Barth because they thought they could do better.

Obviously you let the guys compete, that's just people having their feelings hurt. 

15 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

3 mil for the GBP is nothing to scoff at. Our team hates dead cap and we do t have a billionaire wonder to bail out bad decisions. That money could be put into a number of other positions or an extension it all helps. 

It’s only my take but you bring in a couple guys draft and a UFA and let them all battle. If mason is performing well I still ask him for a paucity if he wants to stay. Foolish or not his kicking hasn’t been good enough. 

GB can scoff all they want.  They are under the cap with a ton of room next year.  This isn't the situation when Wahle had to be cut due to the cap.  Paying a kicker is not a "bad decision".  That money is already available to put to other positions or extension...and it is not being used.

You have more than enough cap space to bring in all the free agents you want and that want to come here...as well as sign a free agent kicker AND draft a kicker to compete with Mason.

There is no money issue.  The issue is production, not money.

If you find someone who can produce at a better level?  Go grab him.  It is that easy.  

Archived