Official Draft Thread 2019

SmittyBacall

It's official. This is what I'm looking forward to. Here's to tanking.

What prospects are we liking in the first? An offensive tackle would be ideal, though I'd rather us go BPA than reach on the need. We have enough holes on the roster than we shouldn't pigeon hole ourselves.

Devin White would look good in stripes and fills arguably our biggest need. 

• Jonah Williams
  • Dalton Risner
  • David Edwards

OL is still our biggest issue.  I truly think FA + coaching can get our defense respectable with guys like Geno, WJIII, Lawson, Dunlap, and Jessie Bates III on it.

If we're going to address the offense, it starts and ends with the OL.  Green, Boyd, Ross, and Mixon is enough if you have a quality OL.  We do not, and we won't go anywhere until it's fixed...

I'm actually open to trading Dalton IF we can get a first rounder back.  Maybe Washington with Gruden.  Then take Jonah Williams and Dalton Risner in the first, and a LB in the second.  Roll with Driskel, which would put us pretty much in the top 5 for one of the top guys in the 2020 draft.  Anything less than a first for Dalton and I'd pass.  he's worth more to us than a later pick.

14 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I'm actually open to trading Dalton IF we can get a first rounder back.  Maybe Washington with Gruden.  Then take Jonah Williams and Dalton Risner in the first, and a LB in the second.  Roll with Driskel, which would put us pretty much in the top 5 for one of the top guys in the 2020 draft.  Anything less than a first for Dalton and I'd pass.  he's worth more to us than a later pick.

Intentionally throwing a season is a bad look for trying to recruit FA's or resign current players.  If you trade Dalton, you're doing it with the full intention of drafting a first round QB.  Driskel can't be the starter.

9 hours ago, theJ said:

Intentionally throwing a season is a bad look for trying to recruit FA's or resign current players.  If you trade Dalton, you're doing it with the full intention of drafting a first round QB.  Driskel can't be the starter.

True, but grab a guy in the third like they allegedly tried with Rudolph last year.  Get the top guy in next year's draft.  Or grab a one year vet.  I'm not advocating it yet, but it's a plan to upgrade the line and eventually the QB position.

It's not like we get the cream of free agent crops anyway.  usually it's the guys left over who will take what's left out there, even from Mike Brown.

10 hours ago, theJ said:

Teddy B...

37 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

True, but grab a guy in the third like they allegedly tried with Rudolph last year.  Get the top guy in next year's draft.  Or grab a one year vet.  I'm not advocating it yet, but it's a plan to upgrade the line and eventually the QB position.

It's not like we get the cream of free agent crops anyway.  usually it's the guys left over who will take what's left out there, even from Mike Brown.

I also think it would be hard to convince a new coach that he should take a 2-14 season on the chin, intentionally.  That may be more important than the FA's.

Dalton has two years left on his deal.  I'd hang onto him for another year and look to trade him next year, after the next guy is in place.  If they take someone in this year's draft, it gives you a year to evaluate before you pull that trigger.

9 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Teddy B...

Not a bad plan.  But he'll be the only guy out there worth signing this year.  The only one.  He's going to get way more than he should, given how little he's shown in the NFL.  This comment won't age well if he lights up the NFL, but i wouldn't chase him.  I'd rather hang onto Dalton for another year while they look to the draft.

37 minutes ago, theJ said:

I also think it would be hard to convince a new coach that he should take a 2-14 season on the chin, intentionally.  That may be more important than the FA's.

Dalton has two years left on his deal.  I'd hang onto him for another year and look to trade him next year, after the next guy is in place.  If they take someone in this year's draft, it gives you a year to evaluate before you pull that trigger.

Not a bad plan.  But he'll be the only guy out there worth signing this year.  The only one.  He's going to get way more than he should, given how little he's shown in the NFL.  This comment won't age well if he lights up the NFL, but i wouldn't chase him.  I'd rather hang onto Dalton for another year while they look to the draft.

I'm not convinced we get a new coach.  In fact, I'll bet we don't.  Hue goes to OC is a given, if Marvin stays.  Then after Marvin retires next year, they bring in a top QB from the draft.  They might not have to intentionally tank to do it.  get as many pieces in place this year, with or without Dalton, and set yourself up for 2020.  It worked for the Browns, and even tho Hue wasn't successful, he helped lay the groundwork.

The only reason I would consider moving Dalton is to build the line with that extra high [ick so that we can get two OTs and a LB in the first two rounds.

22 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Hue goes to OC is a given, if Marvin stays. 

Far from a given. Why would we make Hue the OC when we have a competent OC in Bill Lazor?

I really think this is the end of the Marvin era. Either they will 'part ways' or Marvin with get a job in the front office. Hue I see as either our next HC or as a position coach. I don't think we signed him on this year for only the final third of the season. I'd bet there is a plan in place for Hue as far as the future of this team goes. My guess is he is our HC next year - buckle up.

3 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Far from a given. Why would we make Hue the OC when we have a competent OC in Bill Lazor?

I really think this is the end of the Marvin era. Either they will 'part ways' or Marvin with get a job in the front office. Hue I see as either our next HC or as a position coach. I don't think we signed him on this year for only the final third of the season. I'd bet there is a plan in place for Hue as far as the future of this team goes. My guess is he is our HC next year - buckle up.

I don't think Lazor is competent.  Like he did in Miami, he abandons the run game, especially Mixon, way too quickly.  Hue and Marv are tight.  Marvin will find him a spot he excels at, which would be the right thing to do if both are here.  If you believe they actually move on from Marvin, go for it.  I've seen Mike grow too comfortable to end it now, so I don't believe an overhaul is coming.  I could definitely see it next off season, when a new coach would have a shot at a bunch of QBs at the top of the draft, assuming next year isn't better.

Archived