Official Draft Thread 2019

SmittyBacall

But I think personnel wise, it is still smart to build around a qb. Our offensive line is trash, we have one backup quality te, our linebackers are bad and our pass rush is nonexistent. If we draft a  qb now, by the time we get everything fixed, it will be time for a second contract for the qb and we'll have wasted the rookie contract. 

3 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

But I think personnel wise, it is still smart to build around a qb. Our offensive line is trash, we have one backup quality te, our linebackers are bad and our pass rush is nonexistent. If we draft a  qb now, by the time we get everything fixed, it will be time for a second contract for the qb and we'll have wasted the rookie contract. 

I'm perfectly fine with a LB, DL, or OL.  While TE is a need, I think we can find a quality one especially in this draft in the mid-rounds.  No need to take a Noah Fant in the first round, when we can get his teammate TJ Hockensen in the 3rd or 4th round...

I'll never argue with a lineman in round 1 (O or D), and we need LB talent in the worst way, so I have to agree with OT, LB, or DT.  That said, if you think a guy is a franchise QB and he is there, you should really take him and ignore everything else.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I'll never argue with a lineman in round 1 (O or D), and we need LB talent in the worst way, so I have to agree with OT, LB, or DT.  That said, if you think a guy is a franchise QB and he is there, you should really take him and ignore everything else.

I'm always fine with this strategy as well...

10 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I'm not convinced we get a new coach.  In fact, I'll bet we don't.  Hue goes to OC is a given, if Marvin stays.  Then after Marvin retires next year, they bring in a top QB from the draft.  They might not have to intentionally tank to do it.  get as many pieces in place this year, with or without Dalton, and set yourself up for 2020.  It worked for the Browns, and even tho Hue wasn't successful, he helped lay the groundwork.

The only reason I would consider moving Dalton is to build the line with that extra high [ick so that we can get two OTs and a LB in the first two rounds.

If you truly believe that Marvin is back, then you have to believe that Andy is back too. And that they have no plans to move on from him. 

Another year of Marvin is another year of status quo. We can expect a CB or OT in the first round, no FAs, and another pretty bad team next year. 

for the sake of discussion let’s assume Mike Brown is not dumb enough to bring Marvin back or make Hue the next HC. I think any new coaching staff that comes in is going to want to draft a guy at QB to at least learn for a year. I could see them taking a guy like Stidham in the 2nd

22 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Is Lazor competent?  I really hate the game he calls. At this point, the only coaches I am pro keeping are van Pelt and the oline coach.  Every one else, I am  indifferent at best. 

I think he's probably an average OC.  Does a good enough job, but clearly isn't good enough to hang with the big boys.

22 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

If they actually got rid of Marvin (or the more likely scenario where Marvin "retires") and they give Hue the HC job, 10000 season tickets get cancelled the next day.

That's what happened last year when they announced Marvin was back.  I think the number was around 10,000 tickets cancelled.  I wonder how many season ticket holders they have left?  Because you're correct, it would drive a lot of people away.

22 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

A good QB can hide a lot of those issues.  It's why if the QB is there, you should always take him.  Forget all that nonsense about "ruining" him.  If he's worth his salt, then he can function with an average Oline and some sort of mess around him.  The most important thing is that AJ will be here, and that the coaching gets fixed.  The rest is less important.

Just took a look back at the 2016 draft (Seahawks twitter is trying to Jarran Reed into the pro bowl who I wanted that year)...and we killed it in that draft:

• William Jackson
  • Tyler Boyd
  • Nick Vigil
  • Andrew Billings
  • Christian Westerman
  • Cody Core
  • Clayton Fejedelem

Every draft pick still on the team.  4 starters (2 pro bowl quality in WJIII and Boyd), and some good ST players in the later round...

5 hours ago, theJ said:

A good QB can hide a lot of those issues.  It's why if the QB is there, you should always take him.  Forget all that nonsense about "ruining" him.  If he's worth his salt, then he can function with an average Oline and some sort of mess around him.  The most important thing is that AJ will be here, and that the coaching gets fixed.  The rest is less important.

That's speculation and wishful thinking. And it doesn't get you championships, it gets you hope on any day. I'd rather have a team of good players I know can win than a team I am hoping my hero qb makes magic happen. 

3 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

That's speculation and wishful thinking. And it doesn't get you championships, it gets you hope on any day. I'd rather have a team of good players I know can win than a team I am hoping my hero qb makes magic happen. 

How is that speculation?  I'd call it observation.

Yeah, you can field a team full of good players and an average QB and contend.  But those teams windows are really short, because it's much harder to keep together a core of 20 guys than 1 guy.

In any case, lines come together and fall apart in one years time all the time.  And it doesn't take a lot of draft picks to fix it.  Same with other position groups.  My point is that if you convince yourself to wait to draft a QB until your other issues are solved, you'll never take the QB.  You'll end up with John Ross instead of Pat Mahomes.

If he's there, you take him.

Archived