Official Draft Thread 2019

SmittyBacall

2 hours ago, theJ said:

How is that speculation?  I'd call it observation.

Yeah, you can field a team full of good players and an average QB and contend.  But those teams windows are really short, because it's much harder to keep together a core of 20 guys than 1 guy.

In any case, lines come together and fall apart in one years time all the time.  And it doesn't take a lot of draft picks to fix it.  Same with other position groups.  My point is that if you convince yourself to wait to draft a QB until your other issues are solved, you'll never take the QB.  You'll end up with John Ross instead of Pat Mahomes.

If he's there, you take him.

Speculation because there's no quantifiable evidence.  QBs either succeed or not. Tim Couch and David Carr failed in terrible situations.  In a better situation,  could they have  succeeded?  We don't know. 

Why are the Packers, Colts and Seahawks not contenders?  They have good quarterbacks. Maybe it's because they have to take up so much of the cap that they can't build around them.

Having a great qb means the rest of the team has less money. 

35 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Price is a natural center. I'm not sure why you'd want him to change positions.

I would have been ok with him at RG this year to acclimate before moving to center next year. Now I think going into next year, you just write him in ink at center. 

The Jaguars game is good example of how bad a team can look when the OL declines.  For the Jags it's due to injuries, but both the passing game and the running game are non-existent now with Flowers and Omaheh at LT and LG.  That then puts increased pressure (and snaps) on the defense which if it plays amazing like the Colts game can win ugly, and if they can't they get beat like last night.

There's plenty of other examples of this.  The Saints offense even took a bit of a lull before Terron Armstead, Max Unger, Andres Peat, and Ryan Ramzyck solidified that OL.  For the Rams Andrew Withworth and others were added in addition to Sean McVay.  I would argue that having a solid OL is the most important component of a football team.  A OC's play calls, a QBs ability to hit receivers, ability for receivers to get open, all look soooooo much better when you have 3 seconds to throw instead of 2 seconds (cough*Dak Prescott*cough, cough*Cam Newton*cough).

Yes, we have a lot of holes but adding a LB or TE won't help nearly as much as investing heavily into the OL which will help all components of the team, even the defense by keeping them on the bench.  Or more importantly getting them out of defensive packages that include Michael Johnson instead of Carl Lawson...

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Price is a natural center. I'm not sure why you'd want him to change positions.

If we plan on using Hopkins, I wanrt the best five players on the foield at the positions it works the best.  Hopkins played well at center.  Price was an All American RG.  While I think that Price is the long term center, if we don't draft a RG high, I'd put Price there for now.  Let him work on technique in his run blocking.  

Another reason is I want TWO OTs, one to start immediately at RT and the other to play LT long term, as Glenn is declining with injury history.  We still need other positions filled, and that will take RG out of the mix before day 3.  Then move Price back in 2020 and draft the RG, unless you get one in free agency.  Yeah, that isn't happening.

• 3 weeks later...

Watching some games of the top LBs in the draft:

• Devin White (LSU)
  • Vosean Joseph (Florida)
  • Germaine Pratt (NC State)
  • Devin Bush (Michigan)
  • Kendall Joseph (Clemson)
  • Joe Giles Harris (Kentucky)
  • Ben Burr-Kiven (Washington)
  • Bobby Okereke (Stanford)
  • Deshaun Davis (Auburn)
  • Te’von Coney (ND)

I would rank my top 4 (And only guys worth taking in the first 3 rounds IMO), in order:

• Devin White (LSU)
  • Vosean Joseph (Florida)
  • Germaine Pratt (NC State)
  • Devin Bush (Michigan)

(Te'von Coney and Deshaun Davis just outside the first 3 rounds for me)

Devin White seems to be the only true 1st round prospect, but you could talk me into Vosean as well.  I really like Vosean and if we blitzed our LBs more (which we should), I would have no problem taking him late in the first round (if we trade back).

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

Devin White seems to be the only true 1st round prospect, but you could talk me into Vosean as well.  I really like Vosean and if we blitzed our LBs more (which we should), I would have no problem taking him late in the first round (if we trade back).

Devin White is a madman on the blitz. He’s my guy for us in the first at the moment.

On 12/5/2018 at 11:48 AM, THE DUKE said:

I'll never argue with a lineman in round 1 (O or D), and we need LB talent in the worst way, so I have to agree with OT, LB, or DT.  That said, if you think a guy is a franchise QB and he is there, you should really take him and ignore everything else.

My 1st round wish list right now, not necessarily in this order, are Josh Williams, Devin White, Dexter Lawrence, Dwayne Haskins and maybe a CB if we aren't able to re-sign Dennard.

17 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I would honestly be ecstatic with:

1. Devin White

2.  Vosean Joseph/Devin Bush/Mack wilson/Pratt

3.  Kaleb McGary  RT

4.  Ta'Von Coney

On paper it's overkill.  In reality, it might be just what we need

We probably need about 4-5 new LBs, so drafting 3 I'm fine with...

Archived